The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 12, 2019, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

not wearing lanyards?

I was watching junior nba and wnba games recently, I noticed that the officials mostly don't wear lanyards. It seemed as if they take the whistle from their hand and put in mouth; looks like a split second delay on reaction time. For me, I can't imagine not using a lanyard to stay my whistle, it would be so cumbersome to keep holding onto it while running up and down the floor,then to use it. I'd be dropping that whistle all over the place--forgetting that I don't have a lanyard. Do any of you NF level refs ''not'' use a whistle lanyard? How on God's green earth do you manage it? I had one guy tell me once "the pros [sic vets] don't need a lanyard"--however, I find this perspective to be impractical if not altogether pious and ineffective.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2019, 11:47pm
AremRed

I don’t use a lanyard about 50 percent of the time. It’s definitely a very “pro” thing to do and you’ll find vets are often dead set against it. I use a lanyard on all my college games which is the expectation. This season I plan to go without for all my HS contests.

I find it’s much more smooth. I always have the whistle in my hand rather than it dangling around when I’m running to report and I don’t ever have to fumble to grab it. This makes calling T’s or hitting other dead ball whistle much quicker and easier. It takes practice of course and sometimes it drops but after a while it becomes second nature.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

I tried it once. After spitting my whistle out on a call and it shooting across the floor, like projectile vomiting, I gave it up.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 07:46am
Do not give a damn!!

During the regular season, I always use a lanyard.

During the summer season or non-camp games, I never wear a lanyard. I do this only for personal training purposes. It slows down my whistle. Makes me think about what I am going to call and easy to transition back when the season starts.

I started not using a lanyard in these situations mostly because I forgot a lanyard during a summer session and had no choice. I did drop the whistle a few times but learned not to do that and the rest is history. It is actually very easy for me now and I do not even think about it when I blow my whistle.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

There are a few high school guys here that don't use a lanyard. No one really cares nor should they. Some high school areas will be different.

At the college level, people get butthurt about it pretty much across the board.

It's very helpful for working on a patient whistle, but does take practice.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I was watching junior nba and wnba games recently, I noticed that the officials mostly don't wear lanyards. It seemed as if they take the whistle from their hand and put in mouth; looks like a split second delay on reaction time. For me, I can't imagine not using a lanyard to stay my whistle, it would be so cumbersome to keep holding onto it while running up and down the floor,then to use it. I'd be dropping that whistle all over the place--forgetting that I don't have a lanyard. Do any of you NF level refs ''not'' use a whistle lanyard? How on God's green earth do you manage it? I had one guy tell me once "the pros [sic vets] don't need a lanyard"--however, I find this perspective to be impractical if not altogether pious and ineffective.
The officials working the JR NBA games are all part of the NBA program at some level (WNBA/G-League/Grassroots), that's why they were not using lanyards.

There are reasons for not using a lanyard that have nothing to do with being pious. I cannot work without a lanyard b/c my fingers are not dexterous enough to manipulate the whistle while reporting fouls.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Also to be real, most of the current NBA staff does not use a lanyard. But this is also much more on an NBA thing and a skill that can be developed as well. If I was allowed to work games during the regular season without a lanyard, I would certainly try it. Makes little difference to me, but the standard is to wear one outside of the pro programs, so I wear one for my games. But I agree with Raymond, this attitude that there is something about ego with it is very silly. It was what the NBA did for years and still very much taught and advocated.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 14, 2019, 04:02pm
Official & Member

Pros:
- Supposedly forces you to slow down and think before you blow
- It looks smooth and professional (according to those who go without)

Cons:
- Spitting it across the floor while trying to learn, thus looking like a doofus.
- Figuring out what to do with it when reporting, thus looking like a doofus.

I don't aspire to work NBA games nor look like them. I think it's ridiculous to go without one. The lanyard is probably the most functional piece of equipment we use, right after the pea-less whistle. It's just one more thing to have to worry about getting right when there's already a half dozen other things to worry about. I've tried going without a couple times and found it incredibly frustrating. Life (and my officiating career) is too short to add this to the mix.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2019, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

I started with the NO lanyard this past spring doing club basketball and absolutely LOVE IT 🥰....it does make me slow down and I will NOT go back to using lanyard 🏀🙋🏼*♂️ Doesn’t Interfere with my signals,mechanics or anything to do with officiating during play . I’m so happy now
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 11:42am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
I started with the NO lanyard this past spring doing club basketball and absolutely LOVE IT 🥰....it does make me slow down and I will NOT go back to using lanyard 🏀🙋🏼*♂️ Doesn’t Interfere with my signals,mechanics or anything to do with officiating during play . I’m so happy now
Do you know where I can buy this NO lanyard?

I have tried all my catalogs and done extensive searching on google.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 11:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
As to the WNBA, the only holdouts still using lanyards are officials from the college ranks, whose numbers are in the majority. The remainder came from the G-League and they universally eschew whistles.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tomorrow's Word: Abjure

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
... eschew ...
justacoach recently got a new "Word of the Day" calendar.

Could be the same one Freddy uses.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 12:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
justacoach recently got a new "Word of the Day" calendar.

Could be the same one Freddy uses.
Eschew=past participle of to bite

Last edited by justacoach; Tue Aug 27, 2019 at 12:39pm.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Pros:
- Supposedly forces you to slow down and think before you blow
- It looks smooth and professional (according to those who go without)

Cons:
- Spitting it across the floor while trying to learn, thus looking like a doofus.
- Figuring out what to do with it when reporting, thus looking like a doofus.

I don't aspire to work NBA games nor look like them. I think it's ridiculous to go without one. The lanyard is probably the most functional piece of equipment we use, right after the pea-less whistle. It's just one more thing to have to worry about getting right when there's already a half dozen other things to worry about. I've tried going without a couple times and found it incredibly frustrating. Life (and my officiating career) is too short to add this to the mix.
Well just like anything you learn how to do, it is not much of an issue for me when I have gone without it. I equate this to like playing a video game. I play games and do not think half the time about what button I am going to push to make a move. If they said not to use a lanyard tomorrow I could function easily.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

How do they get their PTS to work if officials don't use lanyards? AFAIK, PTS works through a microphone attached to an extension of the lanyard next to where the whistle attaches. Or is the funky antenna-like thing that NBA officials wear on their collars a special PTS adapter designed to work without the need for a lanyard?