View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I was watching junior nba and wnba games recently, I noticed that the officials mostly don't wear lanyards. It seemed as if they take the whistle from their hand and put in mouth; looks like a split second delay on reaction time. For me, I can't imagine not using a lanyard to stay my whistle, it would be so cumbersome to keep holding onto it while running up and down the floor,then to use it. I'd be dropping that whistle all over the place--forgetting that I don't have a lanyard. Do any of you NF level refs ''not'' use a whistle lanyard? How on God's green earth do you manage it? I had one guy tell me once "the pros [sic vets] don't need a lanyard"--however, I find this perspective to be impractical if not altogether pious and ineffective.
The officials working the JR NBA games are all part of the NBA program at some level (WNBA/G-League/Grassroots), that's why they were not using lanyards.

There are reasons for not using a lanyard that have nothing to do with being pious. I cannot work without a lanyard b/c my fingers are not dexterous enough to manipulate the whistle while reporting fouls.