The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Anybody here work Volleyball also?

I requested the books to test for VB....Curious if anyone here works VB also?
What's the biggest learning curve for VB? I don't know much other than the basics...best 3/5 , games are to 25 win by 2...

How difficult is VB when you first start out?
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

My take

I do, and there are several others around that do.

I enjoy the sport, but I only work it in season now. It's like any other sport to officiate. If you want to get better, you need to see plays.

I would recommend to visit and post on the VB section of the forum.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2019, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ladder Of Success ...

Up until about a dozen years ago, interscholastic volleyball was a fall sport for girls only. Then it was added as an interscholastic boys sport in the spring and the world of volleyball exploded here in Connecticut.

Schools are desperate for volleyball officials. Some of our local basketball guys pass the volleyball test and immediately get varsity games, a few even getting state tournament games.

Of course, one really has to be in great shape to work volleyball, it's tough getting up all those steps on the ladder.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 27, 2019, 07:54am
Courageous When Prudent

I have a group of buddies who started working volleyball a few years ago and they were working regionals by their 2nd season. I have another friend who does military intramural.

Not saying the sport is boring, but as an official I would be bored working it.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2019, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
I requested the books to test for VB....Curious if anyone here works VB also?
What's the biggest learning curve for VB? I don't know much other than the basics...best 3/5 , games are to 25 win by 2...

If you have little to no familiarity with volleyball, I would recommend finding a local high school or two in need of line judges and do that for a season. You would see the game being played up close and be able to ask questions of the R1 (stand) and R2 (floor) after the match. The biggest difference I see in officiating the two sports is that volleyball is faster paced (ball flight and movement, not the players on the floor) and more things happened that are unexpected and unanticipated. I find volleyball more challenging mentally and basketball more challenging physically. The nice thing about volleyball is that just about everyone in the gym does not know the rules - a lot of times even the coaches. If you make a call and are confident & definitive you will get very little complaining. Good luck if you decide to get into it.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2019, 03:05pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
What's the biggest learning curve for VB?
The biggest learning curve BY FAR is finding your back row players. That will be impossible for the first year or two. I'm not exaggerating, by the way. Impossible.

Slightly less difficult is identifying rotations and seeing when teams are out of rotation.

The actual play of the game is fairly straight-forward 90% of the time.

Quote:
As with any sport, it will depend on the level of games that you're working and how hard you're trying to get better.

Head over to the volleyball forum and read old threads and post your questions! https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/
Old Thu Jun 27, 2019, 04:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Up until about a dozen years ago, interscholastic volleyball was a fall sport for girls only. Then it was added as an interscholastic boys sport in the spring and the world of volleyball exploded here in Connecticut.

Schools are desperate for volleyball officials. Some of our local basketball guys pass the volleyball test and immediately get varsity games, a few even getting state tournament games.

Of course, one really has to be in great shape to work volleyball, it's tough getting up all those steps on the ladder.

Billy:

The OhioHSAA is very desperate for volleyball officials.

To become registered as an OhioHSAA Registered Official in most sports, one must successfully complete an OhioHSAA Certified Course in the particular question and pass the NFHS Rules and Mechanics Exams in the sport. Those who pass are put into one of two Classes: Class 3 which are H.S. students under the age of 18 and they can only officiate JrHS games and Class 2 which is anyone 18 and over and they can only officiate JV games and below. Only Class 1 officials can officiate VAR games that there are requirements for a Class 2 to become a Class 1 official in that sport.

That said, the OhioHSAA is so desperate for volleyballs that just this past school year the OhioHSAA was giving school permission to have VAR games covered by Class 2 officials. I know one first year Class 2 official who officiated 14 VAR contests this past school year. Things are getting so desperate that I was even asked to take the VB course this coming July and August, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 27, 2019, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

I work volleyball as well in the fall. I have officiated high school volleyball games in DC (private schools) and MD (private and public), including several playoff games my 2nd year.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2019, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

South Texas Chapter and it’s totally chill ...try it ya may enjoy it🏐🏐🏐
Old Sat Jun 29, 2019, 09:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Desperate Housewives ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Things are getting so desperate that I was even asked to take the VB course this coming July and August
They can't be that desperate. No way could you even make your way halfway up the ladder.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jun 29, 2019, 09:30am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
They can't be that desperate. No way could you even make your way halfway up the ladder.

Billy:

I can't even make it halfway up to the attic, LOL!

I am spending the day watching Mark, Jr., umpire FP softball and then visit Andy (and Baleigh and granddaughter Lucy) with the better half.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio