Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 04:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

NBA Finals Plays (Video)

Play #1:

Play #2:

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Jun 06, 2019 at 04:48pm.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Legal play. The defender was vertical, and did not violate the offensive player's cylinder. I have Incidental contact in the restricted area and a ruling that no foul was committed.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2019, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

1. I have a no call here, also prefer to let the lead have that play unless there is something egregious.

2. BI for me
Old Sat Jun 08, 2019, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
1. I have a no call here, also prefer to let the lead have that play unless there is something egregious.

2. BI for me
Agree on both. However, the C often has the best angle to see if the defender is jumping towards the shooter.

On the BI, I see it go incorrectly uncalled far more than it should be.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2019, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Game 6 play (Video)

Peace
Old Sat Jun 15, 2019, 01:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Basket Interference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Nice video JRutledge. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 02:45am
AremRed

Play 1: Not a foul but I've def put a whistle on plays like this where the end result screams for something to be called. Takes balls to ref the defense and stick with no foul.

Play 2: Not BI for me. Not actively touching the ring, coming out, more than 50 percent of ball outside the ring, I wouldn't hit this play. Nice swirlie from Marc though.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 08:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Swirlie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not BI ...more than 50 percent of ball outside the ring ...
Is that the NBA rule, because it's not the rule for NFHS?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 09:58am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is that the NBA rule, because it's not the rule for NFHS?
It’s not the rule at any level Billy. But I spoke with an NBA ref about a similar play I had and he said it’s a no call. Letter of the law vs spirit of the law/how it’s applied in how we call the game.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wernher Von Braun I'm Not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It’s not the rule at any level Billy. But I spoke with an NBA ref about a similar play I had and he said it’s a no call. Letter of the law vs spirit of the law/how it’s applied in how we call the game.
I certainly can't comment on the NBA "spirit" of the call since I know more about rocket science than I know about NBA officiating.

But in regard to the high school game (NFHS), I've never heard of any high school official use "intent and purpose" in regard to a basket interference call. Three seconds? Sure. Ten seconds free throw? Sure.

Official: "No coach, the ball was (or wasn't) going to go in anyway."

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 18, 2019 at 10:34am.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
But in regard to the high school game (NFHS), I've never heard of any high school official use "intent and purpose" in regard to a basket interference call. Three seconds? Sure. Ten seconds free throw? Sure.

Official: "No coach, the ball was (or wasn't) going to go in anyway."
I used to have a mentor say to many officials, "If it is close, call the violation. They should not be up there anyway." I did not totally agree with that, but that was a philosophy about the rule.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I used to have a mentor say to many officials, "If it is close, call the violation. They should not be up there anyway." I did not totally agree with that, but that was a philosophy about the rule.

Peace
It might also be that the HS philosophy is appropriately different from the NBA philosophy.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2019, 12:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Purpose And Intent ...

George Mikan (DePaul 1942-1946, NBA 1946-1956), was a six foot, ten inch All-American center for the DePaul Blue Demons, and Bob Kurland (Oklahoma A&M 1942-1946), was a seven foot All-American center for the two time NCAA champion (1945 and 1946) Oklahoma Aggies. The dominating defensive play of these two tall centers around the basket led the NCAA to outlaw defensive goaltending in the 1944-1945 season, making it illegal for a defensive player to touch the ball on its downward flight to the basket. This was in reaction to Mikan and Kurland standing in front of basket swatting away practically every opponent’s shot attempt.

Bill Russell (San Francisco 1953-1956, NBA 1956-1969), the six foot, ten inch All-American center for the San Francisco Dons, was one of the most dominant basketball players of his time. Russell was known as the “Funneler” for guiding his teammate’s shots into the basket. Because of this, in 1956, both the NCAA and the NFHS enacted rules outlawing offensive goaltending, mainly as a result of Russell's tactic.

Wilt Chamberlain (Kansas 1956-1958, NBA 1959-1973), the seven foot, one inch, 275 pound All-American Kansas Jayhawks center’s impact on the game of basketball was reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes. When Chamberlain was playing college ball at Kansas, a favorite play by the Jayhawks was to lob the ball toward the basket, hoping simply to get it in the vicinity of the rim. Chamberlain would roll to the hoop, catch whatever came within his enormous wingspan, and slam it home. His rivals couldn't stop him, so the NCAA rules makers outlawed offensive basket interference, preventing Chamberlain from touching the ball in the cylinder above the rim. The NBA also instituted offensive goaltending, and offensive basket interference, rules in response to Chamberlain’s dominant offensive play.

As the game of basketball moves into the future rules must continue to evolve in response to changing player skills and changing team tactics. In the words of Winston Churchill, “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often".