The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Finals Plays (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104623-nba-finals-plays-video.html)

JRutledge Thu Jun 06, 2019 04:27pm

NBA Finals Plays (Video)

Play #1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CcZ6qX5UyDw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s91s9_RskTE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

ilyazhito Thu Jun 06, 2019 04:35pm

Legal play. The defender was vertical, and did not violate the offensive player's cylinder. I have Incidental contact in the restricted area and a ruling that no foul was committed.

sdoebler Fri Jun 07, 2019 08:31am

1. I have a no call here, also prefer to let the lead have that play unless there is something egregious.

2. BI for me

Camron Rust Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1033283)
1. I have a no call here, also prefer to let the lead have that play unless there is something egregious.

2. BI for me

Agree on both. However, the C often has the best angle to see if the defender is jumping towards the shooter.

On the BI, I see it go incorrectly uncalled far more than it should be.

JRutledge Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:39pm

Game 6 play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7BSONlrUCPk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

BillyMac Sat Jun 15, 2019 01:05pm

Basket Interference ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1033375)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7BSONlrUCPk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice video JRutledge. Thanks.

AremRed Tue Jun 18, 2019 02:45am

Play 1: Not a foul but I've def put a whistle on plays like this where the end result screams for something to be called. Takes balls to ref the defense and stick with no foul.

Play 2: Not BI for me. Not actively touching the ring, coming out, more than 50 percent of ball outside the ring, I wouldn't hit this play. Nice swirlie from Marc though.

BillyMac Tue Jun 18, 2019 08:06am

Nice Swirlie ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1033430)
Not BI ...more than 50 percent of ball outside the ring ...

Is that the NBA rule, because it's not the rule for NFHS?

AremRed Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1033433)
Is that the NBA rule, because it's not the rule for NFHS?

It’s not the rule at any level Billy. But I spoke with an NBA ref about a similar play I had and he said it’s a no call. Letter of the law vs spirit of the law/how it’s applied in how we call the game.

BillyMac Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30am

Wernher Von Braun I'm Not ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1033438)
It’s not the rule at any level Billy. But I spoke with an NBA ref about a similar play I had and he said it’s a no call. Letter of the law vs spirit of the law/how it’s applied in how we call the game.

I certainly can't comment on the NBA "spirit" of the call since I know more about rocket science than I know about NBA officiating.

But in regard to the high school game (NFHS), I've never heard of any high school official use "intent and purpose" in regard to a basket interference call. Three seconds? Sure. Ten seconds free throw? Sure.

Official: "No coach, the ball was (or wasn't) going to go in anyway."

JRutledge Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1033440)
But in regard to the high school game (NFHS), I've never heard of any high school official use "intent and purpose" in regard to a basket interference call. Three seconds? Sure. Ten seconds free throw? Sure.

Official: "No coach, the ball was (or wasn't) going to go in anyway."

I used to have a mentor say to many officials, "If it is close, call the violation. They should not be up there anyway." I did not totally agree with that, but that was a philosophy about the rule.

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1033444)
I used to have a mentor say to many officials, "If it is close, call the violation. They should not be up there anyway." I did not totally agree with that, but that was a philosophy about the rule.

Peace

It might also be that the HS philosophy is appropriately different from the NBA philosophy.

BillyMac Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59pm

Purpose And Intent ...

George Mikan (DePaul 1942-1946, NBA 1946-1956), was a six foot, ten inch All-American center for the DePaul Blue Demons, and Bob Kurland (Oklahoma A&M 1942-1946), was a seven foot All-American center for the two time NCAA champion (1945 and 1946) Oklahoma Aggies. The dominating defensive play of these two tall centers around the basket led the NCAA to outlaw defensive goaltending in the 1944-1945 season, making it illegal for a defensive player to touch the ball on its downward flight to the basket. This was in reaction to Mikan and Kurland standing in front of basket swatting away practically every opponent’s shot attempt.

Bill Russell (San Francisco 1953-1956, NBA 1956-1969), the six foot, ten inch All-American center for the San Francisco Dons, was one of the most dominant basketball players of his time. Russell was known as the “Funneler” for guiding his teammate’s shots into the basket. Because of this, in 1956, both the NCAA and the NFHS enacted rules outlawing offensive goaltending, mainly as a result of Russell's tactic.

Wilt Chamberlain (Kansas 1956-1958, NBA 1959-1973), the seven foot, one inch, 275 pound All-American Kansas Jayhawks center’s impact on the game of basketball was reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes. When Chamberlain was playing college ball at Kansas, a favorite play by the Jayhawks was to lob the ball toward the basket, hoping simply to get it in the vicinity of the rim. Chamberlain would roll to the hoop, catch whatever came within his enormous wingspan, and slam it home. His rivals couldn't stop him, so the NCAA rules makers outlawed offensive basket interference, preventing Chamberlain from touching the ball in the cylinder above the rim. The NBA also instituted offensive goaltending, and offensive basket interference, rules in response to Chamberlain’s dominant offensive play.

As the game of basketball moves into the future rules must continue to evolve in response to changing player skills and changing team tactics. In the words of Winston Churchill, “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often".