The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

2019-2020 NCAA Rules Changes

Men's: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...lesChanges.pdf

Women's: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...lesChanges.pdf

There are a couple unexpected ones (for me) on the Men's side. The dark horse had to be the change in referee shirt, which came out of nowhere. In addition, the change in the in-bound spot of the throw-in for dead ball contact fouls and flagrant 2's.

Figured the GT/BI review was coming, same with the 3 point arc and shot clock reset.

Why are they "modernizing" the official's uniform? Who else wants my money? And how much do you want to bet they will not have enough shirts come November?
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like using the term "flopping" in the text of the rule. Opens the rule up to too much interpretation, compared to "faking being fouled."
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 03:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only one that kind of pissed me off was the shirt one. I do not get it. I just bought those newer shirts. Now I am wondering if at the NAIA level they will make us by shirts just for that level as well?

All the other rules were expected and understandable. Many involve replay that many of us will never use unless we are D1 officials, which I am not at this point. Maybe might be involved in some D2 games, but I only had one D2 game that used the monitor last year.

The shot clock one could be a little bit of a nightmare at the lower levels. I can see that is not reset properly and we have to go and change it. But otherwise, I am OK with the change in principle.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Where do we buy the new NCAA shirts? I bought the style with the black and white stripes and the 3" side panels (the traditional NCAAM style) for camps, and I am angry that I'll need to buy more shirts before the regular season. The other changes I understand, but it will be ridiculous to change the timeout protocol just for the last 2 minutes. Calling TO on a throw-in or dead ball should be enough for the coaches to have. Officials shouldn't be distracted by verifying if the timeout caller is the head coach or some assistant, while a player shoots or loses control of the ball. I understand the other changes. On another note, women's and men's college will be using the same shot clock rules again, for the first time since 2015-16.

Last edited by ilyazhito; Wed Jun 05, 2019 at 03:33pm.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 04:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Where do we buy the new NCAA shirts? I bought the style with the black and white stripes and the 3" side panels (the traditional NCAAM style) for camps, and I am angry that I'll need to buy more shirts before the regular season.
They are not widely available yet. I am sure later in the summer and in the fall there will be a push. And I would not go around buying these shirts until your supervisors tell you what is to be worn. I bet that anyone working lower level ball college ball will not be buying these shirts automatically. This will likely start at the top and roll downhill later. I would not be surprised that the NAIA will not change anything this year or you will have to buy a special shirt with their patch on them. Just a guess, but if those shirts are not out yet that tells me there is some thought process as to how to implement this change. JD Collins showed the "shirt" at a camp but no one has them available yet. I also hear the jacket might change too.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for clarifying. If I understand this correctly, the new shirts will show up at the DI level before making their way into the marketplace and being required for DII/DIII officials. There will probably be a few years where officials have the option to wear either the traditional side panel shirt or the new type shirt as a crew before the new shirts are mandated for all levels, like many high school state associations have done when adopting new uniforms for officials.

The inbound spot changes are also surprising, but maybe the rules committee wanted the inbound spots to apply for any foul in the frontcourt, including dead ball contact technical fouls and flagrant 2 fouls.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 10:59pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Where do we buy the new NCAA shirts? I bought the style with the black and white stripes and the 3" side panels (the traditional NCAAM style) for camps, and I am angry that I'll need to buy more shirts before the regular season. The other changes I understand, but it will be ridiculous to change the timeout protocol just for the last 2 minutes. Calling TO on a throw-in or dead ball should be enough for the coaches to have. Officials shouldn't be distracted by verifying if the timeout caller is the head coach or some assistant, while a player shoots or loses control of the ball. I understand the other changes. On another note, women's and men's college will be using the same shot clock rules again, for the first time since 2015-16.
Do you even currently work men's college basketball? If not, then you probably wont need the shirt in the near future.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2019, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be going to camps to try out for men's college basketball at the JUCO and D3 levels this year. It is at least possible that I will be hired by at least one of the assigners I am trying out for. That is why I bought the current style of college uniforms, to use in camp, and for the college games that I would receive after I would be hired.

The shirt change really came out of nowhere. It would be good if someone could post a photo of the new shirt style that would be used starting this season, at least at the D1 level.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 05:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'll be going to camps to try out for men's college basketball at the JUCO and D3 levels this year. It is at least possible that I will be hired by at least one of the assigners I am trying out for. That is why I bought the current style of college uniforms, to use in camp, and for the college games that I would receive after I would be hired.
Well a tryout is one thing, but getting hired is another. Good luck with that but do not go making big investments until it is official. And it is very possible JUCO will not use the same thing D3 would use. Different organizations and they might not want everyone at the JUCO level to change all at once.

Quote:
The shirt change really came out of nowhere. It would be good if someone could post a photo of the new shirt style that would be used starting this season, at least at the D1 level.
The shirt change has been rumored for a few years. And if you worked other levels like NAIA they had different requirements. But none of this has been officially announced beyond the NCAA Rules.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

If it makes anyone feel better about buying new shirts, soccer refs get the pleasure of buying 5 different colors. And long and short sleeves. So when the new shirts came out, for serious level refs, that was 10 shirts at $50 a pop....
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 11:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Never Knows ...

Quote:
Better stock up on NBA, WNBA, and FIBA Olympic uniforms, just in case.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Shirts: https://www.refereestore.com/shirts/
Jacket: https://www.refereestore.com/smitty-...eferee-jacket/

Well, you got the option of buying at $59.95 or $47.95 for the shirts, plus S&H. $50.95 for the jacket. Same price as the old one, or maybe they updated it so I wouldn't feel like I was getting bent over that hard.

This pisses me off. I could get some mesh NCAA shirts for $30. And I'm betting my D3 assignor who just sent this out is gonna require us all to get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
If it makes anyone feel better about buying new shirts, soccer refs get the pleasure of buying 5 different colors. And long and short sleeves. So when the new shirts came out, for serious level refs, that was 10 shirts at $50 a pop....
Tell me about it. I work college soccer, and last year when they came out with 3 new shirts (6 shirts), new shorts, and new "one-stripe" socks, our assignor straight up said "**** that, it's old shirts or USSF." Nothing but a money grab.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 12:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
It was like when I did college baseball when they added like 4 colors to mix at one time. And you would have to match shirts with jackets and hats which all different combinations based on the shirt. It was a nightmare. This is not as bad, but they offered a newer shirt this past year and now we have to buy a new shirt and jacket apparently.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post

Figured the GT/BI review was coming, same with the 3 point arc and shot clock reset.
It'll be interesting how play will be resumed when a BI/GT is ruled on the floor but the monitor review shows that the call was IC.

I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion at the NCAA regional camps this coming July. Anyone else get an application?
Old Fri Jun 07, 2019, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
It'll be interesting how play will be resumed when a BI/GT is ruled on the floor but the monitor review shows that the call was IC.

I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion at the NCAA regional camps this coming July. Anyone else get an application?
Why would this be any different from any IW? This mostly (all GT; 99.9% of BI) happens on a try, so there's no TC, so go to the arrow.