The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It’s amazing to me how many holier-than-thou high school officials have the gall to act as though “I wouldn’t have missed that play or this play.”

This crew missed plays. This crew made some outstanding calls.

Yawn.
I’m 100% that I would have whistled the illegal dribble as Trail.
Why? Simply watch the defender. If he fouls, you have that call. If he doesn’t foul, you know that he didn’t touch the ball because you are watching him. That makes the violation an easy call. No judgment is needed for the violation. Discretion is only a factor as to the amount of contact that you allow/observe for a potential foul.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 09:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I’m 100% that I would have whistled the illegal dribble as Trail.

Why? Simply watch the defender. If he fouls, you have that call. If he doesn’t foul, you know that he didn’t touch the ball because you are watching him. That makes the violation an easy call. No judgment is needed for the violation. Discretion is only a factor as to the amount of contact that you allow/observe for a potential foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I know plenty of high school officials who would stare at the dribbler, know the dribbling rules forward and back, and would still miss that play.

Yet in a Final Four game those same officials want to lambaste the top officials in the country for erring. LOL.

Like you said, SC Official.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 10:17pm
AremRed

Thing is, it’s not a double dribble for him to tap the ball and keep the dribble going. It’s only a double dribble because he picked up the ball with two hands and then started a new dribble.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

My god, call a spade a spade. It's not like it was close whether it was a double dribble or not. Where is the uncertainty? It's not like it happened quickly. The ball hit the dribblers foot, he picks it up, and dribbles again. C has to come get that if T boots it. There's no question what happened.

Good call on the end. Anyone that wouldn't call that shouldn't be officiating, but I suppose some wouldn't.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
My god, call a spade a spade. It's not like it was close whether it was a double dribble or not. Where is the uncertainty? It's not like it happened quickly. The ball hit the dribblers foot, he picks it up, and dribbles again. C has to come get that if T boots it. There's no question what happened.

Good call on the end. Anyone that wouldn't call that shouldn't be officiating, but I suppose some wouldn't.
Understanding why a play was missed isn’t the same as saying it wasn’t missed.

That is great that you think it was such an easy play. So, why weren’t you on that game?
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

No excuse for both T and C to miss that. With T whiffing, C has to come and bail him out...or would you just prefer to not offend T, and not get it right? It's not like it was split-second, hard to make out what happened. You should have dual controls out there when the play is such that 2 officials are looking there. It can't be missed. And don't worry, I actually wanted Va to win. Beautiful basketball.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 10:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
No excuse for both T and C to miss that. With T whiffing, C has to come and bail him out...or would you just prefer to not offend T, and not get it right? It's not like it was split-second, hard to make out what happened. You should have dual controls out there when the play is such that 2 officials are looking there. It can't be missed. And don't worry, I actually wanted Va to win. Beautiful basketball.

The C wouldn't see it. Watch the clip again.

Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 10:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well, I worked the biggest game in my state. I can tell you that every call was thought out and if I had not clearly seen this play, I would have gotten it, but I would not necessarily know that I would see this as clearly as slow motion. So when I hear officials say, "I would have seen this," give me a break. This is the biggest game of their lives and all of a sudden these situations are always seen clearly. It is one thing when you are calling a game in the middle of the season and hardly anyone cares, but it is another when the game has all the eyes and the coverage you never have during the season.

It was a miss. It is not the end of the world. There was more to play for after that play and that play was called correct by an official coming out of his primary.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Excellent review of the plays at the end here: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lastsec...010450747.html

Unfortunately, not all Auburn personnel and supporters behaved with as much class as Charles after the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

It was a miss. It is not the end of the world. There was more to play for after that play and that play was called correct by an official coming out of his primary.
You are correct and I meant to inquire about this earlier. Does anyone have video or a still photo showing the Trail, Doug Sirmons, on the final VA possession? I’m curious if he also called this foul or left it to the Lead because it is the Trail’s primary as you mention.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Highlight clips of the final VA possession seem to show the T merely indicating a 3pt attempt, but not calling a foul.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
IMO, the Center (Sirmons) should've called the front jersey grab by Auburn #2 (take foul) right before the double-dribble.
Bingo! Totally agree. Almost everyone missed this.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Jersey grabbed prior to the double dribble

The UVA player's jersey was grabbed by the Auburn defender prior to the double dribble.

https://twitter.com/ericsports/statu...87692275478528

Would you call a foul here? I am not sure I would.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I do find it ironic and somewhat funny that Aurburn lost on free throws at the end of the game when they were lucky in a very similar situation in round 1.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The C wouldn't see it. Watch the clip again.

this is wrong, Sirmons is staring right at the situation, and in fact has a whistle on the foul immediately following.

This DD was basic and really clear, no quick reaction needed, no quirky rule. The more interesting call is with 19 seconds to go, when Guy almost steals the throw in, do you call the travel on Auburn? after the catch, he shuffles one foot, then picks up the other, then does a quick hop with both feet before he gets fouled.

And the other very disturbing non-call is by Sirmons on that last, fairly obvious foul on the 3 point shot. Shooter is actually displaced, in the air, before the shot. Isn't that trail's primary call? Thank goodness L is there. L also had a nice pass on the inside shot Jerome was whining about with a few minutes to go, where the defender, maybe Harper, swiped and did get ball.

There was also a basket interference call or goal tending that was phantom against Va with a few minutes to go. AU had gotten the rebound, but still, there was nothing there.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 08:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Put yourself on the court as the T or C and imagine officiating the defender (as we are taught) expecting a take-foul to happen.

I'm not seeing a dribble off the foot with the Auburn #2 so close to the ball handler and not guessing why the ball was loose for a split second. I'm just really surprised Breeding didn't call the take-foul.
If you are refereeing the defense, then wouldn't you know whether or not the defense touched the ball?

It's a missed call at an unfortunate time. Ideally, the contact that occurred between the ball going off his foot and the ball being retrieved would have been called as a take-foul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Apr 07, 2019 at 09:06am.