The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104407-pc-foul-called-lowering-shoulder-not-lgp-video.html)

bucky Tue Mar 19, 2019 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031285)
No. The line the offensive player is moving in is only one of many possible paths. It is also a path the offensive player turns into if the defender is occupying that path and has LGP in it. The defender doesn't get to get 2 feet down in one spot and move into a new "path" and have the prior 2 feet down count.

Example: A1 drives from the top of the key. B4, guarding A4 in the corner is turned torwards A1 and has both feet down. Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.

This is a block 100% of the time because while B4 had 2 feet down and was facing A1 (while B4 was in the corner), I do not know of a single official that considers that LGP.

Now you know one that does not consider this a block, lol.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031310)
Now you know one that does not consider this a block, lol.

I hope you're joking.

If not, just about every contact between a shooter and a defender would be a charge since, at SOME point before at SOME location on the court, that defender would have had two feet down and facing the dribbler....it would almost be impossible to not have LGP all the time.

deecee Wed Mar 20, 2019 06:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031317)
I hope you're joking.

If not, just about every contact between a shooter and a defender would be a charge since, at SOME point before at SOME location on the court, that defender would have had two feet down and facing the dribbler....it would almost be impossible to not have LGP all the time.

So are you then saying any contact with a defender that is not square in their chest a block?

Camron Rust Wed Mar 20, 2019 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1031323)
So are you then saying any contact with a defender that is not square in their chest a block?

No. Never said that.

A defender, to obtain LGP, but have his/her chest facing the opponent, with 2 feet down, and be in the path while doing so. After that, the requirement relax.

The point was that you simply can't obtain LGP until and unless you're in the "path". Path can have many interpretations, but standing in the corner while a player is driving down the lane isn't one of them.

bucky Wed Mar 20, 2019 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031317)
I hope you're joking.

You indicate "100%" of the time then you follow it with "just about every contact." lol

My interpretation of your description ("Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.") will not result in a block 100% of the time. More like 1% of the time, lol. I usually interpret someone "crashing" into someone as a team control foul. If you want last word, then go for it. I am off this topic.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031341)
You indicate "100%" of the time then you follow it with "just about every contact." lol

Well, I don't expect you to get it when you mix up two difference scenarios and think they're one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031341)
My interpretation of your description ("Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.") will not result in a block 100% of the time. More like 1% of the time, lol. I usually interpret someone "crashing" into someone as a team control foul. If you want last word, then go for it. I am off this topic.

In decades of watching and officiating basketball, I've never see that called a TC foul at any level. You're either being deliberately difficult or have no idea what is being talked about.

OKREF Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28am

Just my thoughts.....

Play 1.....defender is moving obliquely, not forward, offensive players head and shoulders never get past the defender...PC

Play 2....PC