The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104407-pc-foul-called-lowering-shoulder-not-lgp-video.html)

JRutledge Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:01pm

PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/39IqAkL39HI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:46pm

PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP (Video)

Meh. I don’t love the call. Don’t hate it but don’t love it, either. Didn’t look like the ball handler initiated the contact and it didn’t look like he warded off, either. I’d prefer a call on the defender here. Not the easiest call to make in crowded transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1030606)
Didn’t look like the ball handler initiated the contact and it didn’t look like he warded off, either. I’d prefer a call on the defender here.

Who initiated contact is really not relevant. They collided and (usually) one or the other illegal in doing so. The right question is did the defender have LGP or not. The offense can "initiate contact" all day and still get a foul on a defender if the defender doesn't have LGP. If that were not the case, 99% of fast breaks with defenders trying to get back would be charges.

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 24, 2019 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030609)
Who initiated contact is really not relevant. They collided and (usually) one or the other illegal in doing so. The right question is did the defender have LGP or not. The offense can "initiate contact" all day and still get a foul on a defender if the defender doesn't have LGP. If that were not the case, 99% of fast breaks with defenders trying to get back would be charges.

Fair point but do you have an opinion on this play? The title inferred a lowering of the shoulder (which implies a charge and responsibility on the offense regardless of LGP), or a case of LGP being established. I didn’t see either.

Rich Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:20am

I don't think the defender is ever legal. Not a fan of the call.

thedewed Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:46pm

no call. lgp is iffy at best, and d was closing on o at an angle, but offense initiated. a better no call in my book.

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 24, 2019 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1030620)
no call. lgp is iffy at best, and d was closing on o at an angle, but offense initiated. a better no call in my book.

I’m okay with that logic if the defender doesn’t tumble to the floor the way he did here. But with that tumble, the only way I’m no-calling is if the tumble was an obvious flop. Otherwise my instinct says there has to be a whistle on this play. Like an old clinician once said, “If players end up on the floor, know how they got there.”

Camron Rust Sun Feb 24, 2019 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1030611)
Fair point but do you have an opinion on this play? The title inferred a lowering of the shoulder (which implies a charge and responsibility on the offense regardless of LGP), or a case of LGP being established. I didn’t see either.

I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" as a reason for a foul in any rulebook. Every person who is running has lowered his/her shoulder to some degree. They'd fall backwards if not....try to run fast without leaning forward.

I don't have the defender in LGP...block.

JRutledge Sun Feb 24, 2019 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030626)
I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" as a reason for a foul in any rulebook. Every person who is running has lowered his/her shoulder to some degree. They'd fall backwards if not....try to run fast without leaning forward.

I don't have the defender in LGP...block.

I have yet to see anything that suggests a defender like this is not in LGP. He is doing all the things required and gets run into. PC foul all day and twice on Sunday.

Peace

Kelvin green Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:14pm

I’m with JRut... what did the defender do wrong? In many plays we assume that the defender is wrong but why? What we need to do is officiate from the presumption that defenders play legally. ( we officiate the defense) ... we should never penalize good defense but it happens all too often....in this play the defender has done nothing wrong and gets displaced.

I like this call and think it is exactly what needed to be called...

ilyazhito Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:23pm

Correct call. This is not football, where an offensive player can legally stiff-arm or drive a shoulder into a defender to put him on the ground. By the same token, lack of LGP does not give the offensive player license to initiate illegal contact and get away with it scot-free. This is why there is an exception to the restricted area rule for when an offensive player uses an unnatural motion to illegally contact a defender (using a shoulder, forearm, or knee to create separation or knock the defender down). I would apply the same thinking anywhere else on the court, and call the player control foul on blue here.

BillyMac Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:26pm

I Have A Note From My Mother ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030602)
PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1030611)
The title inferred a lowering of the shoulder (which implies a charge and responsibility on the offense regardless of LGP),

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030626)
I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" as a reason for a foul in any rulebook. Every person who is running has lowered his/her shoulder to some degree.

Over many years, why have we seen many, many references to "lowering the shoulder" here on the Forum in reference to player control charging fouls?

Did I miss something when I first learned high school rules?

I remember talking about legal guarding position, feet, verticality, movement, airborne players, torsos, ducking, etc., but I don't remember discussing lowering shoulders (other than getting head and shoulders past the defender).

Was I absent that day?

Was it "Senior Skip Day"?

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1030632)
Over many years, why have we seen many, many references to "lowering the shoulder" here on the Forum in reference to player control charging fouls?

Did I miss something when I first learned high school rules?

Was I absent that day?

Was it "Senior Skip Day"?

I’m with you Billy but that’s why I said lowering the shoulder (in the context of the OP) implies a charge. I never said it guarantees it, for as you correctly state there is no specific rules coverage for lowering of the shoulder.

Looks like as a forum we’re professionally split on who had greater responsibility for the contact and whether LGP requirements were met. It was a close play, so I guess that’s ok.

BillyMac Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:44pm

Colloquial Rule Of Shoulder ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1030633)
... there is no specific rules coverage for lowering of the shoulder.

Could it be some colloquial rule of thumb to help officials make a correct block/charge call?

If so, can it be shared with the rest of us, I've never heard about it in my high school games here in my little corner of Connecticut?

Rich Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1030620)

Who initiates contact is not important if B doesn't have LGP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bucky Sun Feb 24, 2019 04:00pm

Should have been a no call.

JRutledge Sun Feb 24, 2019 05:22pm

Play #2: Another one
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WkngZrMA8bA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Feb 24, 2019 08:04pm

PC on both. The second is easier.

bucky Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:33pm

Easy PC foul in second video.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030627)
I have yet to see anything that suggests a defender like this is not in LGP. He is doing all the things required and gets run into. PC foul all day and twice on Sunday.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 1030630)
I’m with JRut... what did the defender do wrong? In many plays we assume that the defender is wrong but why? What we need to do is officiate from the presumption that defenders play legally. ( we officiate the defense) ... we should never penalize good defense but it happens all too often....in this play the defender has done nothing wrong and gets displaced.

I like this call and think it is exactly what needed to be called...

I have the dribbler getting head/shoulders past the defender based on the direction the dribbler was moving and the defender lost LGP and need to get back in the path facing the opponent to reestablish it. Instead the defender was running beside the dribbler and never got back to LGP.

ChuckS Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030657)
I have the dribbler getting head/shoulders past the defender based on the direction the dribbler was moving and the defender lost LGP and need to get back in the path facing the opponent to reestablish it. Instead the defender was running beside the dribbler and never got back to LGP.

If we agree that the defender lost LGP, can't this still be a foul on the offense? Rule 4-23-1 states "Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent". I interpret that to mean that LGP is required to obtain a charge call. But not all PC fouls are charges.

If A1 grabs a rebound and goes full speed the length of the court, with B1 alongside him, but having never obtained LGP, and A1, frustrated with B1's close proximity, shoves him, that is a PC foul on A1, correct?

deecee Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45am

Play 1 - ideally a CNC otherwise PC.
Play 2 - PC

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1030658)
If we agree that the defender lost LGP, can't this still be a foul on the offense? Rule 4-23-1 states "Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent". I interpret that to mean that LGP is required to obtain a charge call. But not all PC fouls are charges.

If A1 grabs a rebound and goes full speed the length of the court, with B1 alongside him, but having never obtained LGP, and A1, frustrated with B1's close proximity, shoves him, that is a PC foul on A1, correct?

Your example is absolutely a PCF. Despite not having established LGP, B1 did not illegally impede A1. Given that, he was entitled to his space on the floor as much as A1 was entitled to his. Thus if A1 shoves B1 out of his entitled space (even if both are moving), foul on A1.

Regarding the OP, in my opinion the defender did not have LGP and illegally impeded the ball handler. But for the sake of your question, if we assume that the defender did have LGP and did NOT illegally impede the ball handler, then we have two judgment options: 1) incidental contact, no call, 2) the ball handler illegally contacted the defender (forearm, shoulder, push-off, or whatever you saw), PCF. If given only these two choices, I would opt for incidental contact, as I didn't see anything particularly egregious on the part of the ball handler.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 25, 2019 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1030658)

LGP is not required to draw a charge. LGP is required to draw a charge only if the defender is moving or jumping. A stationary defender doesn't need LGP.

And yes, it can still be a foul on the offense even if the defender is moving and doesn't have LGP....but not a charge. It would have to be a foul for the offense using an arm, for example, to shove the defender away. Body to body is a block/charge and without an extended arm, that is a what this is.

In your example, sure, that is a PC for the shove. But if, instead, A1 is trying to alter course to go towards the basket, that defender has to have LGP in order be moving in that manner. The defender doesn't, so it is a block.

Pantherdreams Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20am

Areas where we have agreement:

- You need LGP to draw a charge while moving or jumping.
- The offense can commit a variety of PC fouls that aren't charges.
- Offense initiating the contact is not a defining factor in which call we make.

Area's where we seem to have trouble reaching agreement:
- If and when the defender established/lost LGP.
- If we are officiating the defense the what the defender did wrong.
- When and which path the defender is/should be guarding.

Follow up question:

If A1 is driving toward a sideline, and the defensive posture B1 wishes to take is to maintain their torso and feet squared to the path to the rim.Are we saying: a) They would have LGP is the offense was attacking the basket? b) they do not have LGP if the offense is attacking the sideline? c) and now if the offense chooses to change their angle to a diagonal or an attempt to" turn the corner" and angles into the defense, are we saying that contact which occurs must be a block or no call on the defense (exempting a shove or push off of some kind) because we need them to re-established LGP in this new path too?

Camron Rust Tue Feb 26, 2019 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 1030691)

Follow up question:

If A1 is driving toward a sideline, and the defensive posture B1 wishes to take is to maintain their torso and feet squared to the path to the rim.Are we saying: a) They would have LGP if the offense was attacking the basket? b) they do not have LGP if the offense is attacking the sideline? c) and now if the offense chooses to change their angle to a diagonal or an attempt to" turn the corner" and angles into the defense, are we saying that contact which occurs must be a block or no call on the defense (exempting a shove or push off of some kind) because we need them to re-established LGP in this new path too?

I believe "path" has a duplicity of meaning. One, it is the direction the opponent is actually moving. Two, it is the "desired" direction between the opponent and the basket. Which one it is at any given time depends on the actions surrounding it. Looking at it another way, the path they need to have obtained LGP is the one being taken when contact occurs.

In the above question, a defender between the dribbler and basket has LGP should the dribbler turn to attack the basket. However, I don't think B1 has LGP if B1 attempts to cut-off A1's path across the court. This is not unlike A1 running directly at the basket and B1 facing A1 from behind.....B1 can't just run a little faster than A1 and cut in front of A1 with B1's back still to A1.

rbruno Fri Mar 01, 2019 01:35pm

Well I understand the not having LGP theory. But if the defense is running along side someone not in LGP and the offensive player wards off or makes contact with his arm/hand etc. I have a PCF which is what it looked like in this video.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2019 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1030801)
Well I understand the not having LGP theory. But if the defense is running along side someone not in LGP and the offensive player wards off or makes contact with his arm/hand etc. I have a PCF which is what it looked like in this video.

The arm only came out after the initial contact with shoulder to torso. It was already a defensive foul before the arm came out. The arm subsequently being extended doesn't change it to a PCF.

JRutledge Fri Mar 01, 2019 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030803)
The arm only came out after the initial contact with shoulder to torso. It was already a defensive foul before the arm came out. The arm subsequently being extended doesn't change it to a PCF.

Yeah, to those that just call a block automatically. This level honestly wants more charges called and if it is a coin flip, I am calling a charge. I think it is a charge anyway because the defender had LGP and took the contact in the chest. I honestly cannot even believe this is a debate.

Peace

jeremy341a Fri Mar 01, 2019 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030805)
if it is a coin flip, I am calling a charge. I think it is a charge anyway because the defender had LGP and took the contact in the chest. I honestly cannot even believe this is a debate.

Peace

I am in this camp.

Raymond Fri Mar 01, 2019 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030602)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/39IqAkL39HI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

My instincts on this play in real time, on the court, would be to call a PC foul. I don't see anything in the video to make me think that is the wrong call. If someone were to call it a block, I'm not going look at the video and say definitively that they are wrong.

What I do know from this video is that the calling official had the best look in the house, including better than the camera.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 01, 2019 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030805)
Yeah, to those that just call a block automatically. This level honestly wants more charges called and if it is a coin flip, I am calling a charge. I think it is a charge anyway because the defender had LGP and took the contact in the chest. I honestly cannot even believe this is a debate.

Peace

IMO, the defender did not have LGP....2 feet down, in the path, facing. He did at one point but lost it for a while and never reobtained it. It is not an obvious result either way. You can't honestly and intelligently say this isn't a debatable point. That IS the whole point of this play.

chapmaja Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030639)
Play #2: Another one
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WkngZrMA8bA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

I'm biased, since I have family that works at UM, and was born in AA, but this was a PC foul.

griblets Mon Mar 18, 2019 06:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030811)
IMO, the defender did not have LGP....2 feet down, in the path, facing.

My rule book shows only two requirements: 2 feet touching the court, and guard's torso facing opponent. Nothing about "in the path."

Seems to me LGP was obtained outside the 3-point line at the beginning of the video.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 18, 2019 07:52am

From the NCAA rules book (emphasis added; HS is different):

Section 17. Guarding
Art. 1. Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an
offensive opponent. The guarding position shall be initially established and then
maintained inbounds on the playing court.

LRZ Mon Mar 18, 2019 08:48am

In NCAA-M, is a defender with LGP who moves laterally still legal?

deecee Mon Mar 18, 2019 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1031164)
In NCAA-M, is a defender with LGP who moves laterally still legal?

Yes. The principles are no different. One can, and needs to maintain guarding position otherwise "being set" would be a requirement. Hint: It isn't.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 18, 2019 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griblets (Post 1031160)
My rule book shows only two requirements: 2 feet touching the court, and guard's torso facing opponent. Nothing about "in the path."

Seems to me LGP was obtained outside the 3-point line at the beginning of the video.

You're skipping part of the rule. It is there. If you think about the implications of what you think the rule is you get some really silly results.

NFHS Rule 4
Quote:

NFHS Rule 4, SECTION 23 GUARDING
ART. 1 . . . Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent.
LGP is a special case of the more general "guarding". LGP doesn't replace the requirements of "Guarding", it just adds to it and grants additional rights along with it.

You're not the first to make that mistake.

Rich Mon Mar 18, 2019 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031181)
You're skipping part of the rule. It is there. If you think about the implications of what you think the rule is you get some really silly results.

NFHS Rule 4

LGP is a special case of the more general "guarding". LGP doesn't replace the requirements of "Guarding", it just adds to it and grants additional rights along with it.

You're not the first to make that mistake.

How is LGP maintained and when is it lost?

I see this play as a PC foul all day every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pantherdreams Mon Mar 18, 2019 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1031184)
How is LGP maintained and when is it lost?

I see this play as a PC foul all day every day.

I agree this is a PC or no call depending on your brand. No way is this a block.

I think the argument that LGP is lost and needs to be regained (not how I see it) is that LGP is an extension of guarding, to be guarding you have to be in the path, so they are deeming a some point in the drive the defense is not in the path and no requires to get back to a guarding and LGP position to get the benefit of either.

The question I would have is the ambiguity of path. Defense can be attempting to do different things when guarding (shading, containing, pressuring, funneling, etc to the ball carrier) some defenses are trying to stay between their player and basket others are trying to pressure them to a specfic spot, etc. All of these I would consider guarding. All of them require different positions and cutting off different directions and path(s). The direction the ball handler is going is one path, but the path to basket is a different path, if we want to get into some language issues a path doesn't have to be straight. See what I'm saying. If the player is between the ball carrier and basket, is defending the ball, and meets LGP i'm good.

Rich Mon Mar 18, 2019 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 1031185)
I agree this is a PC or no call depending on your brand. No way is this a block.

I think the argument that LGP is lost and needs to be regained (not how I see it) is that LGP is an extension of guarding, to be guarding you have to be in the path, so they are deeming a some point in the drive the defense is not in the path and no requires to get back to a guarding and LGP position to get the benefit of either.

The question I would have is the ambiguity of path. Defense can be attempting to do different things when guarding (shading, containing, pressuring, funneling, etc to the ball carrier) some defenses are trying to stay between their player and basket others are trying to pressure them to a specfic spot, etc. All of these I would consider guarding. All of them require different positions and cutting off different directions and path(s). The direction the ball handler is going is one path, but the path to basket is a different path, if we want to get into some language issues a path doesn't have to be straight. See what I'm saying. If the player is between the ball carrier and basket, is defending the ball, and meets LGP i'm good.

The book says it ends when head and shoulders are past. I just don't see this as qualifying.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 18, 2019 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1031186)
The book says it ends when head and shoulders are past. I just don't see this as qualifying.

It also ends when the player is no longer in the path since a player not in the path is not even guarding. This is where I feel the player has lost LGP. As long as we're all applying the proper rules and coming up with a different judgement, we can certainly have different rulings.

rbruno Tue Mar 19, 2019 01:04pm

Well I can see lots of occasions when the defense is along side (not in LGP ) and the offense wards off, pushes off the defender and I have a PC foul. Offense could even bump a defender who is behind him/her and not touching creating contact and getting a PCF.

deecee Tue Mar 19, 2019 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031205)
It also ends when the player is no longer in the path since a player not in the path is not even guarding. This is where I feel the player has lost LGP. As long as we're all applying the proper rules and coming up with a different judgement, we can certainly have different rulings.

So you only apply "in the path" as if the defender is in front of the offensive player that's moving on a straight line? That seems very limiting.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 19, 2019 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1031273)
So you only apply "in the path" as if the defender is in front of the offensive player that's moving on a straight line? That seems very limiting.

No. The line the offensive player is moving in is only one of many possible paths. It is also a path the offensive player turns into if the defender is occupying that path and has LGP in it. The defender doesn't get to get 2 feet down in one spot and move into a new "path" and have the prior 2 feet down count.

Example: A1 drives from the top of the key. B4, guarding A4 in the corner is turned torwards A1 and has both feet down. Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.

This is a block 100% of the time because while B4 had 2 feet down and was facing A1 (while B4 was in the corner), I do not know of a single official that considers that LGP.

bucky Tue Mar 19, 2019 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031285)
No. The line the offensive player is moving in is only one of many possible paths. It is also a path the offensive player turns into if the defender is occupying that path and has LGP in it. The defender doesn't get to get 2 feet down in one spot and move into a new "path" and have the prior 2 feet down count.

Example: A1 drives from the top of the key. B4, guarding A4 in the corner is turned torwards A1 and has both feet down. Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.

This is a block 100% of the time because while B4 had 2 feet down and was facing A1 (while B4 was in the corner), I do not know of a single official that considers that LGP.

Now you know one that does not consider this a block, lol.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031310)
Now you know one that does not consider this a block, lol.

I hope you're joking.

If not, just about every contact between a shooter and a defender would be a charge since, at SOME point before at SOME location on the court, that defender would have had two feet down and facing the dribbler....it would almost be impossible to not have LGP all the time.

deecee Wed Mar 20, 2019 06:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031317)
I hope you're joking.

If not, just about every contact between a shooter and a defender would be a charge since, at SOME point before at SOME location on the court, that defender would have had two feet down and facing the dribbler....it would almost be impossible to not have LGP all the time.

So are you then saying any contact with a defender that is not square in their chest a block?

Camron Rust Wed Mar 20, 2019 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1031323)
So are you then saying any contact with a defender that is not square in their chest a block?

No. Never said that.

A defender, to obtain LGP, but have his/her chest facing the opponent, with 2 feet down, and be in the path while doing so. After that, the requirement relax.

The point was that you simply can't obtain LGP until and unless you're in the "path". Path can have many interpretations, but standing in the corner while a player is driving down the lane isn't one of them.

bucky Wed Mar 20, 2019 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031317)
I hope you're joking.

You indicate "100%" of the time then you follow it with "just about every contact." lol

My interpretation of your description ("Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.") will not result in a block 100% of the time. More like 1% of the time, lol. I usually interpret someone "crashing" into someone as a team control foul. If you want last word, then go for it. I am off this topic.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031341)
You indicate "100%" of the time then you follow it with "just about every contact." lol

Well, I don't expect you to get it when you mix up two difference scenarios and think they're one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031341)
My interpretation of your description ("Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.") will not result in a block 100% of the time. More like 1% of the time, lol. I usually interpret someone "crashing" into someone as a team control foul. If you want last word, then go for it. I am off this topic.

In decades of watching and officiating basketball, I've never see that called a TC foul at any level. You're either being deliberately difficult or have no idea what is being talked about.

OKREF Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28am

Just my thoughts.....

Play 1.....defender is moving obliquely, not forward, offensive players head and shoulders never get past the defender...PC

Play 2....PC