The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 11:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Totally hypothetical situation.

No official count (no one had a closely guarded count). No look at the clock with time showing (the whistle was so close to the buzzer that it was impossible). No replay device. How do you decide how much time to put up?
Again I think you are looking for the perfect answer. I will tell you that I personally am very aware of the clock, especially at the end of a quarter or half. I am putting something on the clock. It would all depend on what look I get at the clock in that situation or if I am the calling official or not. But in this case, the foul took place clearly before the half was over. It might be a second or a little less, but I am putting time on the clock.

peace
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Again I think you are looking for the perfect answer. I will tell you that I personally am very aware of the clock, especially at the end of a quarter or half. I am putting something on the clock. It would all depend on what look I get at the clock in that situation or if I am the calling official or not. But in this case, the foul took place clearly before the half was over. It might be a second or a little less, but I am putting time on the clock.

peace
I am not looking for a perfect answer. I understand there are many factors to be considered. An acceptable outcome, depending on these many factors, is to not put time back on the clock.

Last edited by CJP; Sun Feb 24, 2019 at 11:46am.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The signal comes with approximately 0.5 seconds. By the time I look at the clock, because I didn't bail on the play, it will be 0.00.

You speak as though you had no partner(s) who could back you up. If I’m off ball in this situation and hear a whistle, I immediately look at the clock. Almost reflexively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No official count (no one had a closely guarded count). No look at the clock with time showing (the whistle was so close to the buzzer that it was impossible). No replay device. How do you decide how much time to put up?

NFHS or NCAA w/o monitor and no automatic timing? You don’t. Shoot the FTs with the lane cleared. But per your hypothetical, this is when whistle/horn are bang bang. Research shows the timer’s OODA loop is about 0.24 seconds to react and push the button. If the gap was clearly longer than this, you reasonably have to put some time back on.

Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
NFHS or NCAA w/o monitor and no automatic timing? You don’t. Shoot the FTs with the lane cleared. But per your hypothetical, this is when whistle/horn are bang bang. Research shows the timer’s OODA loop is about 0.24 seconds to react and push the button. If the gap was clearly longer than this, you reasonably have to put some time back on.

You know of any research on how much time it takes an official to hear the whistle, process what just happened, and look at the clock to note the time?

I am seriously not going to argue with a partner over this. Just giving my thoughts based on the original play. They had a monitor. Without it, I would have a hard time knowing whether to put up .24, .3 or .5 seconds. Seems kind of arbitrary.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You count it in your head, every time. An official count is not needed. Then, you have knowledge of how much time to put on, every time.

If you mentally do the standard count 1-Miss-is-sip-pi, 2-Miss-is-sip-pi, etc....you get resolution to 0.2 seconds since it is 5 syllables. If you do one-thou-sand-one, one-thou-sand-two, you get 0.25 seconds of resolution.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You know of any research on how much time it takes an official to hear the whistle, process what just happened, and look at the clock to note the time?

I am seriously not going to argue with a partner over this. Just giving my thoughts based on the original play. They had a monitor. Without it, I would have a hard time knowing whether to put up .24, .3 or .5 seconds. Seems kind of arbitrary.
The rule doesn't require accuracy in the time, just definitive knowledge....any count you have is considered definitive, even it is isn't accurate.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW -- Monitor. Put the time on the clock at the time of the WHISTLE. About .6 or .4

NCAAW -- No monitor (and no specific knowledge). Let time expire. This was not a timing error. The foul occurred so close to the end of the period, that timer didn't have a chance to stop the clock.

I would treat FED the same was as NCAAW, no monitor.