The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Center comes out of area to make call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104406-center-comes-out-area-make-call-video.html)

JRutledge Sat Feb 23, 2019 05:28pm

Center comes out of area to make call (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rYxknZbXmGw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

ChuckS Sat Feb 23, 2019 05:36pm

I do very little 3-man, but even I know that is not his PCA, AND it happened right in front of the L....I would trust the Lead's no-call here if I was C.

CJP Sat Feb 23, 2019 07:04pm

I don't mind the call. It was correct. It would have been better for the trail to get it.

Without a monitor, I would not put time back on the clock.

JRutledge Sat Feb 23, 2019 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJP (Post 1030597)
I don't mind the call. It was correct. It would have been better for the trail to get it.

Without a monitor, I would not put time back on the clock.

If you are aware of the clock at that time of the game, you should know where the clock is on any whistle. It was obvious the call came before the clock ran out. At the college level without a monitor, that is something that would get you in trouble if you allowed the time to just run out in that very situation.

Peace

CJP Sat Feb 23, 2019 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030598)
If you are aware of the clock at that time of the game, you should know where the clock is on any whistle. It was obvious the call came before the clock ran out. At the college level without a monitor, that is something that would get you in trouble if you allowed the time to just run out in that very situation.

Peace

My apologies. I should have been more clear. In a high school game, no monitor, not worrying if I am going to get into trouble, I am not putting time back on the clock.

JRutledge Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJP (Post 1030600)
My apologies. I should have been more clear. In a high school game, no monitor, not worrying if I am going to get into trouble, I am not putting time back on the clock.

Let me be clear as well. It would not have mattered to me what level the game was without a monitor. I would have treated it the same. If I know a foul is before the horn, I am putting time back on the clock. It might not have been that accurate, but it would have been something.

Peace

CJP Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030601)
Let me be clear as well. It would not have mattered to me what level the game was without a monitor. I would have treated it the same. If I know a foul is before the horn, I am putting time back on the clock. It might not have been that accurate, but it would have been something.

Peace

There is about 0.5 seconds left when there is a whistle. How do you decide if there is 0.5 or 0.3 seconds without a replay device?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:04pm

In my opinion I think that the C had the best look at this play. The foul was from behind and high.

MTD, Sr

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35pm

First of all, I loved the get. L is right on top of it (maybe he could have been a little wider but that’s a different discussion), and he’s assessing body contact on the drive and correctly not calling that contact. Meanwhile up top there’s shooting arm contact...probably twice actually. That’s a great time for a secondary whistle. Roy saw it...he knew; he had the same look as C. Hoped he had caught a break and then the late whistle came.

As for the time, I agree the foul came around 1.6, but the signal was around 0.3. I thought you had to go with the signal, but maybe I’m wrong?

In an NFHS game, with that much of a gap between horn and whistle where everyone in the gym knows there should still be some time, hopefully I actually saw something on the clock to educate me. If not, that’s what I tell the table anyway. I always use odd numbers because they’re less suspicious. In this case, 0.3 or 0.5 sounds about right. =) If it’s more bang bang whistle and horn, I follow the NFHS guidance of putting no time back and shooting the FTs with the lane clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJP (Post 1030603)
There is about 0.5 seconds left when there is a whistle. How do you decide if there is 0.5 or 0.3 seconds without a replay device?

Easy you look at the clock when the whistle was blown and you know what that time was. If anything you know there is a gap between the whistle and the horn. I know for me I constantly watch the clock. Have to in shot clock games and do in high school games to know things are being done correctly.

Peace

ilyazhito Sun Feb 24, 2019 01:08am

Correct call by the C. Lead was straight lined by both plyers' body position, and the offensive player turned towards C, so C would have a better look than T. I would put 1.5 back on the clock, because that is when the foul was called.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 24, 2019 03:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030601)

Peace

Agree. You have to have a sense of time here. Always have a count in your head as the time approaches 0. You really must put time back. To not do so because there is no monitor is not a good reason.

CJP Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030607)
Easy you look at the clock when the whistle was blown and you know what that time was. If anything you know there is a gap between the whistle and the horn. I know for me I constantly watch the clock. Have to in shot clock games and do in high school games to know things are being done correctly.

Peace

The signal comes with approximately 0.5 seconds. By the time I look at the clock, because I didn't bail on the play, it will be 0.00.

JRutledge Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJP (Post 1030613)
The signal comes with approximately 0.5 seconds. By the time I look at the clock, because I didn't bail on the play, it will be 0.00.

OK. The foul took place before the clock ran out. I am putting something on the clock in that situation. I am not shooting FTs with zeros on the clock and no one on the lane.

Peace

CJP Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030614)
OK. The foul took place before the clock ran out. I am putting something on the clock in that situation. I am not shooting FTs with zeros on the clock and no one on the lane.

Peace

Totally hypothetical situation.

No official count (no one had a closely guarded count). No look at the clock with time showing (the whistle was so close to the buzzer that it was impossible). No replay device. How do you decide how much time to put up?