The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Center comes out of area to make call (Video)

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

I do very little 3-man, but even I know that is not his PCA, AND it happened right in front of the L....I would trust the Lead's no-call here if I was C.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

I don't mind the call. It was correct. It would have been better for the trail to get it.

Without a monitor, I would not put time back on the clock.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 07:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I don't mind the call. It was correct. It would have been better for the trail to get it.

Without a monitor, I would not put time back on the clock.
If you are aware of the clock at that time of the game, you should know where the clock is on any whistle. It was obvious the call came before the clock ran out. At the college level without a monitor, that is something that would get you in trouble if you allowed the time to just run out in that very situation.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are aware of the clock at that time of the game, you should know where the clock is on any whistle. It was obvious the call came before the clock ran out. At the college level without a monitor, that is something that would get you in trouble if you allowed the time to just run out in that very situation.

Peace
My apologies. I should have been more clear. In a high school game, no monitor, not worrying if I am going to get into trouble, I am not putting time back on the clock.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 10:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My apologies. I should have been more clear. In a high school game, no monitor, not worrying if I am going to get into trouble, I am not putting time back on the clock.
Let me be clear as well. It would not have mattered to me what level the game was without a monitor. I would have treated it the same. If I know a foul is before the horn, I am putting time back on the clock. It might not have been that accurate, but it would have been something.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me be clear as well. It would not have mattered to me what level the game was without a monitor. I would have treated it the same. If I know a foul is before the horn, I am putting time back on the clock. It might not have been that accurate, but it would have been something.

Peace
There is about 0.5 seconds left when there is a whistle. How do you decide if there is 0.5 or 0.3 seconds without a replay device?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 11:04pm
Administrator

In my opinion I think that the C had the best look at this play. The foul was from behind and high.

MTD, Sr
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I loved the get. L is right on top of it (maybe he could have been a little wider but that’s a different discussion), and he’s assessing body contact on the drive and correctly not calling that contact. Meanwhile up top there’s shooting arm contact...probably twice actually. That’s a great time for a secondary whistle. Roy saw it...he knew; he had the same look as C. Hoped he had caught a break and then the late whistle came.

As for the time, I agree the foul came around 1.6, but the signal was around 0.3. I thought you had to go with the signal, but maybe I’m wrong?

In an NFHS game, with that much of a gap between horn and whistle where everyone in the gym knows there should still be some time, hopefully I actually saw something on the clock to educate me. If not, that’s what I tell the table anyway. I always use odd numbers because they’re less suspicious. In this case, 0.3 or 0.5 sounds about right. =) If it’s more bang bang whistle and horn, I follow the NFHS guidance of putting no time back and shooting the FTs with the lane clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 12:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There is about 0.5 seconds left when there is a whistle. How do you decide if there is 0.5 or 0.3 seconds without a replay device?
Easy you look at the clock when the whistle was blown and you know what that time was. If anything you know there is a gap between the whistle and the horn. I know for me I constantly watch the clock. Have to in shot clock games and do in high school games to know things are being done correctly.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Correct call by the C. Lead was straight lined by both plyers' body position, and the offensive player turned towards C, so C would have a better look than T. I would put 1.5 back on the clock, because that is when the foul was called.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Agree. You have to have a sense of time here. Always have a count in your head as the time approaches 0. You really must put time back. To not do so because there is no monitor is not a good reason.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Easy you look at the clock when the whistle was blown and you know what that time was. If anything you know there is a gap between the whistle and the horn. I know for me I constantly watch the clock. Have to in shot clock games and do in high school games to know things are being done correctly.

Peace
The signal comes with approximately 0.5 seconds. By the time I look at the clock, because I didn't bail on the play, it will be 0.00.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The signal comes with approximately 0.5 seconds. By the time I look at the clock, because I didn't bail on the play, it will be 0.00.
OK. The foul took place before the clock ran out. I am putting something on the clock in that situation. I am not shooting FTs with zeros on the clock and no one on the lane.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK. The foul took place before the clock ran out. I am putting something on the clock in that situation. I am not shooting FTs with zeros on the clock and no one on the lane.

Peace
Totally hypothetical situation.

No official count (no one had a closely guarded count). No look at the clock with time showing (the whistle was so close to the buzzer that it was impossible). No replay device. How do you decide how much time to put up?