The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That begs the question, would the game have not improved absent the seatbelt rule?
Depends on how much tolerance you have. I don't have much for a coach who already got his first T.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Depends on how much tolerance you have. I don't have much for a coach who already got his first T.
That has nothing to do with the seatbelt rule.

In other words, the game improves because the coach got a T, not because he has to sit.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In other words, the game improves because the coach got a T, not because he has to sit.
If you say so.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Disagree 100%. We adopted the shot clock a few years back and you hardly notice it at all. Keeps the pace of the game up. You also don't get teams holding the ball for 2 minutes of game time any more.
I don't see that without the shot clock more than 1-2 times a year....it is a solution looking for a problem.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Disagree 100%. We adopted the shot clock a few years back and you hardly notice it at all. Keeps the pace of the game up. You also don't get teams holding the ball for 2 minutes of game time any more.
I cannot remember the last time I have seen a team hold the ball for 2 minutes in my career. I have certainly had it happen, but we are talking over 10 years ago. And the only time I see a team hold the ball for more than 30 or 40 seconds, is so they get the last shot in the quarter. That is actually very common in college games too more than high school.

I love how the narrative is to suggest this is something going on all the time when it simply is not the case.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand why the pro-shot clock crowd talks about how awful stalling is but never says anything about the defenses sitting back and not making any attempt to get a count or force action.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 01:25pm
Administrator

Shot Clock and Lack of Sufficient Action.

Since most everyone knows my position with regard to Shot Clocks, my suggestion is to bring back the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule with one tweak bring back the Mid-Court and Forecourt Areas to make the Rule easier to adjudicate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 02:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And We'll Need A Ladder Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Since most everyone knows my position with regard to Shot Clocks, my suggestion is to bring back the Lack of Sufficient Action Rule with one tweak bring back the Mid-Court and Forecourt Areas to make the Rule easier to adjudicate.
And don't forget the peach baskets. We gotta get the peach baskets back.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
I love your nostalgia on these things, but they are not bringing back that rule. They will put in the shot clock before they bring back that silly rule.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
If you say so.
That's been my experience at the college level. HC gets a T and pretty much STFU the rest of the game and sticks to coaching.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't see that without the shot clock more than 1-2 times a year....it is a solution looking for a problem.
That may be true in your area, but not in mine. Saying it's a solution looking for a problem does not make it true for the whole high school basketball playing population.

In our area, it was common to see a team pass/hold a ball for 1-2 minutes at the end of a quarter or game to get the last shot.

I understand that adding the shot clock to areas where 2 man crews are the norm may make it harder, but if you work 3 man, the shot clock doesn't have much effect on the officials. If you can't handle adding the shot clock, well.......
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot remember the last time I have seen a team hold the ball for 2 minutes in my career. I have certainly had it happen, but we are talking over 10 years ago. And the only time I see a team hold the ball for more than 30 or 40 seconds, is so they get the last shot in the quarter. That is actually very common in college games too more than high school.

I love how the narrative is to suggest this is something going on all the time when it simply is not the case.

Peace
It's wasn't all the time, but was VERY COMMON in my area. I don't know if it's lack of skillful players or coaching philosophy in this area, but teams were more than happy to hold onto the ball for 1-2 minutes to get the last shot.

Some of you(not necessarily you personally) veteran, decorated officials are acting like the addition of a shot clock substantially changes your job. I'm surprised at the reaction. Is it because you work primarily 2 man crews?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand why the pro-shot clock crowd talks about how awful stalling is but never says anything about the defenses sitting back and not making any attempt to get a count or force action.
It's not out of the question to have a quality team be very capable of passing the ball around and dribbling around for 1-2 minutes if the defense forces the action.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not out of the question to have a quality team be very capable of passing the ball around and dribbling around for 1-2 minutes if the defense forces the action.
Good for them. Seriously. They should be allowed to continue to do so.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Good for them. Seriously. They should be allowed to continue to do so.
Absolutely! That's not inactivity, that's not a game killer. I don't know why we seem determined to force teams out of a possession.