LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I disagree with #4. I think it gives too much credibility to the howler.
I'm NOT giving more credibility to the coach. By reminding the coach that I AM human, I believe I am making the situation better by, hopefully, getting that coach off my back.
Indy, I think that "hope" is exactly what Hawks Coach meant by giving the coach too much credit. That hope is misplaced 99% of the time.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck - you said it beeter than I did. I think that some of these guys have so little perspective that going to them and saying "I am green, I may miss some" will only make matters worse. They believe that they are in the Final Four in every 5th grade game they coach.

If you really believe the coaches have a perspective such that they will be receptive to that type of aproach, by all means use it. But I have seen more coaches banned from leagues in younger age groups than anywhere else, precisely because they don't know where they are or what they are (or should be) doing.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Thanks Chuck - you said it better than I did. I think that some of these guys have so little perspective that going to them and saying "I am green, I may miss some" will only make matters worse. They believe that they are in the Final Four in every 5th grade game they coach.

If you really believe the coaches have a perspective such that they will be receptive to that type of aproach, by all means use it. But I have seen more coaches banned from leagues in younger age groups than anywhere else, precisely because they don't know where they are or what they are (or should be) doing.
Understood!

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Oct 15th, 2003 at 02:38 PM]
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
. I think that some of these guys have so little perspective that going to them and saying "I am green, I may miss some" will only make matters worse.
Hawk's Coach, here's something I've used successfully a time or two.

If I know I messed one up, and it's not too late in the game, I go to the coach and say, "How many mistakes am I allowed?" They usually realize they're getting backed into a corner here, but can't get out. (If they say "only one" i say, "Is that all you get?") Or if they say three or five, I say, "Okay that was the first" pointing to where the play was that I blew the call of. Then even if they start yelling later, I can say, "That's still only two" or whatever. If they are yelling but I didn't really goof, I say, "Coach, I saw that charge very clearly. I'm still only at one." If I say this all in a sort of friendly, non-confrontive way, it seems to take some of the heat out of the relationship.

Hawk's Coach, would that work for you?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

"Coach, I thought it was the right call when I made it"!

Then turn your back and get out of there.

Good,experienced coaches know how to read between the lines.They'll usually accept something like that(with maybe just a tad more grumbling).
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I would be very hesitant to announce that I was "green" to anybody except my partner. To let coaches or game management know that you are new is to lower your credibility before you even take the floor. Then every call, correct or otherwise, that they don't understand or agree with...you're automatically wrong, and you don't even get the benefit of the doubt. Certainly don't deny it or lie about it. But don't volunteer it.
Saddle, please don't think you're going to hide the "green" factor. If you think you can do this, the only person you've fooled is yourself.
I have seen experienced officials do much worse than expected and new officials do much better than expected. The number of years on the job is only an indicator of probable success, and not always a good one.

Once the game begins, people will form an opinion about your abilities BY SEEING what you do. If you walk in and announce to everyone that you're green, people begin to form opinions about your abilities BEFORE seeing what you can do. And that opinion will color their perception of everything you do, and not positively.

As a new guy, you're going to create enough problems for yourself by what you do DURING the game. You don't need the added challenge of having to overcome what you said BEFORE the game.

Like I said, don't lie about about being green, don't deny it. If the best way to deal with a coach during a situation is to admit you're new, then do it. But don't volunteer it before the game.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
You don't need the added challenge of having to overcome what you said BEFORE the game.

We were throwing 3-man games at coaches and one of my partners would regularly tell the coaches we were breaking in 'such-in-such" on three-man.
Not exactly what they wanted to hear.
There is no way they would have had a clue whether we were breaking in a new guy, or not.
mick
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Business Scenario Comparison

You are going before the Board of Directors for a Major Company...big speech prepared....you are trying to sell them your product...Is it better to go in the room and do your best and not mention your experience? (Even though it is your first sell) Or do you go in and tell them you are new at this stuff and to be patient?

Your choice,
RD
Hint: Some managers (Coaches) may look at lack of experience as a weakness and pounce on it.

[Edited by RookieDude on Oct 16th, 2003 at 02:37 PM]
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Exclamation Everyone relax!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

You are going before the Board of Directors for a Major Company...
Hmmm...I thought we were talking about grade school games here, folks...not the high school state tournament!! Geesh!
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

You are going before the Board of Directors for a Major Company...big speech prepared....you are trying to sell them your product...Is it better to go in the room and do your best and not mention your experience? (Even though it is your first sell) Or do you go in and tell them you are new at this stuff and to be patient?

Your choice,
RD
Hint: Some managers (Coaches) may look at lack of experience as a weakness and pounce on it.

[Edited by RookieDude on Oct 16th, 2003 at 02:37 PM]
It would be best if my boss sent in the big guns on this one & sent me to sell a few pencils to the new hires down in accounting where I can gain some experience.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 03:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

It would be best if my boss sent in the big guns on this one & sent me to sell a few pencils to the new hires down in accounting where I can gain some experience.
Oh yeah!!!! Write, Dan.
mick