The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 02:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA Men's Logo Question

I usually don't get too anal about this, but I'm crew-chiefing a college game Wednesday and my supervisor brought it up to me that we need to do a better job policing uniform/equipment issues.

Rule 1 Section 25. Logos, Labels, Trademarks, Patches
Art. 1. A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark meeting the size restrictions of Rule 1-25.2 is permitted once on the game jersey, once on the game shorts and once on all other items of apparel excluding the undershirt.

My question is about the bolded part. Is that interpreted as once for all other items collectively or once on each item? Case book does not touch on this and I don't keep old rule/case books, so I can't see if there was previously a case play on it.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it have to be interpreted as once on each piece of apparel. Otherwise, any normal pair of socks with a swoosh/three stripes/etc. on each sock would be "2 logos".
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Wouldn't it have to be interpreted as once on each piece of apparel. Otherwise, any normal pair of socks with a swoosh/three stripes/etc. on each sock would be "2 logos".
I agree with this however, in that case, shouldn't it be written as "..and once on each other item of apparel excluding the undershirt."

It just seems to be poorly written. Perhaps it would be a good question for said supervisor. Although, then again, asking such questions over the grammar/context in use can be a good way to go on the crap list of a supervisor.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
For that matter, wouldn't most shoes be illegal since most have at least 2 logos, sometimes 3-4. :0
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform, whether at the NFHS or NCAA levels. I would interpret the bolded part as once on each item (one logo on headband, one logo on each wristband, one logo on undershirt, one logo on tights/leg sleeves, one logo on each arm sleeve).
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform, whether at the NFHS or NCAA levels. I would interpret the bolded part as once on each item (one logo on headband, one logo on each wristband, one logo on undershirt, one logo on tights/leg sleeves, one logo on each arm sleeve).
Not true for NCAAW (unless it's a recent rules change that I missed).

edit: they are not part of the uniform. But, they are part of apparel, and governed by the logo rules.

Big kerfluffle a couple of years ago over "two-logoed socks" -- players were supposed to turn the socks down to cover the logos. If the sock had only one logo (and many / most do, now), it was legal.