The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach starts game sitting outside coaching box (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104321-coach-starts-game-sitting-outside-coaching-box.html)

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029269)
Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there can’t get up. Not something I focus on during games..

I have a supervisor who instructs us to move any chairs that are above the 28' line. He is not interested in game management's opinions on this practice.

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029275)
I have a supervisor who instructs us to move any chairs that are above the 28' line. He is not interested in game management's opinions on this practice.

I get the sentiment....Not really realistic in many places. (15 players..4 coaches etc..) I’m fine w chairs wherever...Coach needs to sit in box. What drives me crazy are chairs 3 feet off floor when there’s room to back them up...

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2019 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029276)
I get the sentiment....Not really realistic in many places. (15 players..4 coaches etc..) I’m fine w chairs wherever...Coach needs to sit in box. What drives me crazy are chairs 3 feet off floor when there’s room to back them up...

Same supervisor also tells us to make sure the chairs are backed up also.

When I work off-season stuff and I always adjust the chairs so they are not past the 28' line. Hate those camp games where both HCs are right next to the table no more than 6-10' from each other.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 24, 2019 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029255)
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.

Not true and Geometry supports my position. I have seen both 84 foot and 94 foot courts with Score Tables small enough to have the Team Benches extend past the 28-foot Mark toward the Division Line.

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1029296)
Not true and Geometry supports my position. I have seen both 84 foot and 94 foot courts with Score Tables small enough to have the Team Benches extend past the 28-foot Mark toward the Division Line.

MTD, Sr.

the fact that I said I have moved chairs from above the 28-foot inline obviously means I have seen chairs been put above the 28-foot line towards the scorer's table, so stop with a condescending math statements. I didn't know coaches were sitting above the 28-foot line all across America because they certainly aren't doing it in high school games in Virginia.

And if folks across America are letting coaches sit above the 28 ft line why are they not T'ing them up the first time they stand up during a live ball?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029298)
the fact that I said I have moved chairs from above the 28-foot inline obviously means I have seen chairs been put above the 28-foot line towards the scorer's table, so stop with a condescending math statements. I didn't know coaches were sitting above the 28-foot line all across America because they certainly aren't doing it in high school games in Virginia.

And if folks across America are letting coaches sit above the 28 ft line why are they not T'ing them up the first time they stand up during a live ball?

I never said that HCs all across the country are starting their games outside the 28-foot Coaching Box.

My own personal experience over the years have been to remind the HCs in my pre-game meeting that of where they need to be at the start of the game so as to not lose the CB.

That said, two times this year in FR games in which I was evaluating the officials where a HC started the game sitting outside of the CB. In both games the HC moved into the CB almost immediately after the game started and stayed within the CB for the remainder of the game. I talked about the situation with the game officials at Halftime. Neither of them were aware if the CB Ruling nor were they aware that the HC had started outside the CB.

I will not say that this is an obscure rule, but in my experience it rarely happens.

MTD, Sr.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21am

Quote:

Because even if the coach is sitting above the 28 ft line, he can still stand up in front of his chair to coach his team or applaud good play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes (Post 1029301)
Because even if the coach is sitting above the 28 ft line, he can still stand up in front of his chair to coach his team or applaud good play.

If he can stand up and coach his team from outside the coaching box, what's the purpose of the coaching box?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Fri Jan 25, 2019 01:10am

I think it is silly on many levels. You telling me if a coach sits in a chair outside of the coaching box and we are not allowing that coach to stand in the coaching box ever? Well, what do we do if he/she changes seats? For example, they start sitting in a chair outside the box. Then we have a timeout or intermission and the coach sits in the box, we are not allowing them to do anything in that box?

That is silly. I get what the caseplay says, but that is very silly to expect that kind of enforcement. And often many gyms are not very well suited for the coaching box anyway.

Peace

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Jan 25, 2019 02:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029302)
If he can stand up and coach his team from outside the coaching box, what's the purpose of the coaching box?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It allows him some freedom to wander.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 25, 2019 02:47am

Quote:

I believe the NFHS wants to allow the coach to be closer to midcourt if desired but in using that option gives up the right to stand and coach from there.

That said, I can't say that I've ever even paid much attention to that.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Jan 25, 2019 09:56am

I'm also firmly in the camp of "Who cares?" That is, unless he starts acting like a jerk, then I'll enforce the letter of the law.

BillyMac Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:27am

Seatbelted ...

Quote:

... above the 28 ft line why are they not T'ing them up the first time they stand up during a live ball?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes (Post 1029304)
It allows him some freedom to wander.

This mighty be a good time to remind the young'uns that with the coaching box, even after receiving a technical foul and being "seatbelted", a head coach is still allowed to stand under a few circumstances:

- to request a timeout or signal his/her players to request a time-out.
- to confer with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out for correctable error, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake.
- to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game.
- during a charged time-out or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
- to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player.

If for some odd reason there isn't a coaching box, or if the coach has chosen not to use it by his seat choice outside the box (original topic of this thread), the above rules are in place for the entire game, even with no technical foul.

Raymond Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:48am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1029310)
This mighty be a good time to remind the young'uns that with the coaching box, even after receiving a technical foul and being "seatbelted", a head coach is still allowed to stand under a few circumstances:

- to request a timeout or signal his/her players to request a time-out.
- to confer with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out for correctable error, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake.
- to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game.
- during a charged time-out or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
- to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player.

If for some odd reason there isn't a coaching box, or if the coach has chosen not to use it by his seat choice outside the box (original topic of this thread), the above rules are in place for the entire game, even with no technical foul.

Nowhere on that list of circumstances do I see where a HC is allowed to stand outside the coaching box to "coach" his team. So, if a HC chooses to sit above the 28' line and stands to yell instructions to his team, that should be an automatic Technical Foul.

BillyMac Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56am

Instructions ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029313)
Nowhere on that list of circumstances do I see where a HC is allowed to stand outside the coaching box to "coach" his team ... stands to yell instructions to his team ...

"Hey Bobby. Call timeout", is for the most part, a relic of the past.

Probably haven't heard it in twenty years. The only time players request timeouts today is when they get in trouble, trapped against a boundary, on the floor, etc.

It happens so seldom that I often forget to remember the player's number when I report the timeout to the table, almost every single time out is requested by the head coach.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cart...rhn210_low.jpg