The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

I should also add that this game was played at a neutral site which was hosting six games that day. Neither team participating in this contest was at its home gym.

Additionally, the scorer’s table at this site is about twenty rows up in the stands, so it is an unusual setup.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post

And invariably this also occurs, my partners who is well-meaning will say "2 timeouts left for red team, 1 for blue team...". To which I always say, "thanks, let me know when there are zero left".
I have no problem with partners letting me know the time-out count, especially in situations where a team is out of full/60-second time-outs or out of 30-second time-outs.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:29am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have no problem with partners letting me know the time-out count, especially in situations where a team is out of full/60-second time-outs or out of 30-second time-outs.
I like this too. So cool when I don't have to ask the guy who has been a jackass for 34 minutes what kind of TO he wants.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Drives me nuts when officials tell a coach he has more than zero timeouts remaining. One time a partner (who was the R) told me to go tell the coach he had one left. I did not oblige.

Sometimes partners will tell me at the end of the game: "White has three timeouts left." Congratulations, I could not care less. I normally give a sarcastic thumbs up when this happens.
Well, many times the tables will tell us what they have. I just say "OK" and move on. I just think always telling the bench causes problems like this.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I never said "you have no timeouts or 1 timeout"

I always said

"the scorer has informed me that you are out of timeouts."

they can verify and i have made it clear im the middle man.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

John Doe Versus Richard Roe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I always said "the scorer has informed me that you are out of timeouts.", they can verify and I have made it clear I'm the middle man.
deecee, Esquire.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Had it happen to me in a varsity game 6 or 7 years ago. Table informed me that Coach A had one 30 sec time out left. I informed the assitant coach that they had one timeout left. 5 or 6 min later Coach A calls time and the table informs me they have no timeouts left. After glaring at the home book person I inform all we have a Technical foul. I am the bad guy now. For years I was always informing coaches how many time outs they had left. This will never happen to me again. When the table informs me they have 2 left etc I tell them to tell me when they have none. Keeping track of timeouts is the tables job and all those assistants on the bench. Our job is to inform the coach when he has NO timeouts left (I always check the book when this happens).
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I try, with moderate success, to track it myself -- just as a double check.

This year -- I've found where the scorer gave the TO to the wrong team, and three times where the scorer was using the wrong number of TOs available (e.g., the NCAAM rule in a NCAAW game).

And, to be honest, I've had it wrong, once, too.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
I had the opposite situation last week. The table told me the V coach had used his last TO so I let his assistant know ...

Don't learn this one the hard way. Your job is to tell the head coach. Even if you wait until the timeout has concluded -- because you were given the information late, perhaps -- make sure that's who you tell. Telling anyone else is irrelevant.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

For the record...on this play, if my partner tells the coach he has a TO remaining..(which he shouldn’t have done) I will say no TO and play on. Yes, teams should have their own scorer/confirm etc. Hiwever, Rules put us in charge and even tell us to notify HC when they have 0 left. That didn’t happen here.