Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 02:56am
AremRed

CNC, blocked shot. Whack coach.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
CNC, blocked shot. Whack coach.
Agree with the CNC but you're whacking the coach for that?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

The block was definitely clean up top. Can't tell from the angle or the zoom in how much and when body contact occurs in lower back and body. No real info on how that may or may not have impacted the ability to block to ball.

For what its worth:

#1 In most high level boys games if someone comes away with a foul here its going to be a long night.

#2 If you are wacking the coach for that we would have no head coaches running our varsity boys games in our conference. Lets get it done.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 11:35am
beware big brother

Panther, this is an NCAA D2 game.

JRut, looks like a good no call by Kash to me.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Panther, this is an NCAA D2 game.

JRut, looks like a good no call by Kash to me.
We all saw this play on some level and did not at all think it was a foul. It was probably one of the most talked about play after the game.

And not directed at anyone, but why are officials seem to be so concerned with body contact? Every block potentially has body contact on them. If a player is not knocked completely to the floor or the contact took place way after clear blocking the ball, why are we so eager to advocate calling a foul. Not directed at anyone in this thread, but it just seems like that is something I hear and read all the time when plays like this take place.

I even had a game last night where a kid that was under 6 feet tall goes directly at a kid that was probably 6'5 or so. The shorter player tries to shoot the ball and is clearly blocked directly in his face by the bigger player. The shooter falls down backward directly on his back. There was some body contact because the player's momentum was stopped by the blocked shot force and the player fell on his back. The coach even asked, "There was no body contact?" Well, it would not be any body contact if your shooter did not take on a much bigger player.

I do not completely understand why we keep referencing body contact on blocked shots that will have some contact with bodies if you are going at a defender?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think body contact matters more or less on blocked shot than any other play. The same factors we would use to determine coming into the offensive player, landing for the shooter, adv/dis because of contact, etc. Would be applied normally. If it would be incidental contact normally its probably incidental contact here. If it would be a block/push normally block/push here.

The only added layer at all is that as we rule advantage/disadvantage would be if the defender was only able to block the shot or get access to the ball because of illegal body contact they created.

So in the OP there may or may not be contact with the back/tower of the shooter by the defender. I don't think there was but lets say it happened.

If this has no impact on the play or result. Nothing. If it happens after the block it obviously has no impact on the play move on. If the block was going to happen regardless nothing. If it happens prior to the shot and that contact causes the ball/body position of the shooter to change in response to the contact and that leads to the blocked shot then the contact created advantage.

I think a lot of coaches/fans believe the last scenario is WAY more common than it actually is. That the reason the ball is getting blocked is because of illegal contact being caused by the defender.

In think the case of officials who call this a al ot comes from sensitivity to protecting air borne shooters and needing to do a lot of high level boys games before athletic blocked shots and players able to play through some contact becomes your norm. So you've got some officials defaulting from experience and confidence to any contact on the shooter as being a foul.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Fantastic no call. Both L and the T had great looks.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 01:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We all saw this play on some level and did not at all think it was a foul. It was probably one of the most talked about play after the game.

And not directed at anyone, but why are officials seem to be so concerned with body contact? Every block potentially has body contact on them. If a player is not knocked completely to the floor or the contact took place way after clear blocking the ball, why are we so eager to advocate calling a foul. Not directed at anyone in this thread, but it just seems like that is something I hear and read all the time when plays like this take place.

I pregame to let shot blockers block shots. If it is a clean block up top there needs to be some severe contact down low to come out with a "with the body" call, such as going through the shooter and knocking him down or into the wall. I cannot stand that nonsensical "he got 'em with the body" cop out on plays such as this video. This play was an obvious no-call. Not even a play worth remembering or talking about after the game.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I pregame to let shot blockers block shots. If it is a clean block up top there needs to be some severe contact down low to come out with a "with the body" call, such as going through the shooter and knocking him down or into the wall. I cannot stand that nonsensical "he got 'em with the body" cop out on plays such as this video. This play was an obvious no-call. Not even a play worth remembering or talking about after the game.
The only reason we talked about it was the Lead asked later our opinion on the play. The coach's reaction also prompted that discussion as well. Also, the official in question is a newly hired D1 official and is one of the nices guys to be around and work with. He works with the White Sox as well and a local small college. He is that guy that makes more jokes of himself than he does to treat anyone with any disrespect. So that conversation after the game was a guy I love and respect so much asking for our opinion.

One last point, the supervisor of the conference wants us to put out plays that are good and bad that we may have gotten right. So this was a play I put on a website we were asked to join and felt it was a good discussion tool. That is why I have posted some of these plays that involve me. I put out a lot of other stuff about others, so why not take the heat too sometimes.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing there let’s play on ...hand is part of the ball ...isn’t it?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

No call correct.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Great block. That coach would lose his mind if you called that a foul against HIS guy. His reaction looks more like general frustration that things aren't going his way than at the call, but who knows.