The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 02:59am
Do not give a damn!!

End of the game block/charge play (Video)

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Good call. We don't have the restricted area so these are a little bit easier for me to officiate.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

"If it was a charge in the first minute, it's a charge in the last minute."
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

"We don't have the restricted area so these are a LOT easier for me to officiate."
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"We don't have the restricted area so these are a LOT easier for me to officiate."
Meh... I have officiated in a state that had it and I stand by original statement.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

OK, I wasn't arguing with you. I should have removed the quotation marks: one ref's "little" is another ref's "lot."

Last edited by LRZ; Fri Jan 11, 2019 at 10:22am.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I can see where a lot of officials would have:

1) passed on making a call
2) called a block due to wide stance (too wide for a screener but not a defender) or arms not being completely vertical

Nice to see the official make a stand and call a PC at such an important part of the game. Would have liked to see the hand behind the head to make it clearer.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

It was pretty clear to me that he was punching the other direction and not counting the basket. Not sure what the weak "hand behind the head" mechanic would have done there. Maybe he could've emphatically waved off the shot, but there still probably would have been confusion.

The call was correct, and it wasn't even close IMO.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:57am
Stubborn Member

Great call, and despite the announcers being confused for some reason, the official's call was clear to me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Correct call, absolutely. This is why I combine the approved hand behind the head mechanic with a strong punch with the hand that I used to stop the clock.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Hand behind the head is fine at the table, but is a horribly weak mechanic at the spot. Obvious to me that he was punching it the other way.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Normally when a call is this obvious (i.e., when viewing it in real time) it gets me worried that I'm missing something. Luckily in slo-mo it's confirmed to be a great call.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It was pretty clear to me that he was punching the other direction and not counting the basket. Not sure what the weak "hand behind the head" mechanic would have done there. Maybe he could've emphatically waved off the shot, but there still probably would have been confusion.

The call was correct, and it wasn't even close IMO.
Definitely a clear PC, and a clear PC signal....to an official. Maybe less clear to everyone else.

Agree though that the "proper" mechanic looks awful at the spot. Waving off the shot would have been the best way to emphatically clarify the call.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
… Agree though that the "proper" mechanic looks awful at the spot. Waving off the shot would have been the best way to emphatically clarify the call.
This ^^
Old Sat Jan 12, 2019, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Definitely a clear PC, and a clear PC signal....to an official. Maybe less clear to everyone else.

Agree though that the "proper" mechanic looks awful at the spot. Waving off the shot would have been the best way to emphatically clarify the call.
I agree. Why does NFHS not go with the times and create (or borrow from other levels) better/more descriptive mechanics? SD has approved of high school officials using certain college signals (punch for a PC/TC foul, hit to the head, legally walled up, etc.), and demonstrates these signals in the last mechanics video that the SDHSAA released. Other states have other changes to NFHS mechanics that make things better (no long switches in TX and MI, 3-person timeout positions in 2-person and walk and talk allowed in TX, walk and talk, 2-handed reporting (before it was legalized by NFHS), and descriptive signals (unofficially) allowed in MD) , so I suspect that NFHS might not understand what toils the officials actually need to get their job done (behavioral warning only came out in 16-17, but was likely unofficially done before then).