The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Off Topic - Help

Does anyone here have any knowledge or been a part of setting up a scholarship for HS kid(s)?

Maybe you're part of an officials association or a youth league that provides something like a $500 deal for sportsmanship or giving back to a former youth league player for volunteer time with the younger kids...something along those lines.

Would love to get some feedback, info if you have ever been a part of this.

Thanks
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Scholarship ...

Been there. Done that.

Contact the high school guidance department.

Back when I was teaching middle school, I was also the National Junior Honor Society adviser. We decided to give an annual scholarship to a high school senior who had been a member of our middle school honor society.

We set up a criteria for selection (academics, school service, community service, etc.), and used the high school's "generic" scholarship application. The high school guidance department publicized the scholarship, and collected the applications. A small group of middle school teachers (same group that voted in our honor society members) selected the winner, we notified the high school, and all I had to do was show up with a check (from our dues and talent show fund raiser) at the high school scholarship ceremony.

Both of my daughters received scholarships from the town's recreation softball league. Only one had continued to play softball through high school but the scholarship was based on academic achievement. Along with a check, they both received a bat with an small engraved plaque, both of which are still displayed in our home.

This is a great idea, good luck.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 10:47am
Courageous When Prudent

With the phrase "Off topic" in the title, was there any doubt who would be the first with an answer?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Out Of My Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
With the phrase "Off topic" in the title, was there any doubt who would be the first with an answer?
Watch out for me when the word "Bacon" is in the title.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 08, 2019 at 11:06am.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Been there. Done that.

Contact the high school guidance department.

Back when I was teaching middle school, I was also the National Junior Honor Society adviser. We decided to give an annual scholarship to a high school senior who had been a member of our middle school honor society.

We set up a criteria for selection (academics, school service, community service, etc.), and used the high school's "generic" scholarship application. The high school guidance department publicized the scholarship, and collected the applications. A small group of middle school teachers (same group that voted in our honor society members) selected the winner, we notified the high school, and all I had to do was show up with a check (from our dues and talent show fund raiser) at the high school scholarship ceremony.

Both of my daughters received scholarships from the town's recreation softball league. Only one had continued to play softball through high school but the scholarship was based on academic achievement. Along with a check, they both received a bat with an small engraved plaque, both of which are still displayed in our home.

This is a great idea, good luck.
Thanks BillyMac...all good ideas. I like the idea of a plaque as part of the award also. Hadn't thought of that!