The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Vid Request: Wyoming vs UNLV - blarge?

With 5:50 left in the game, double whistle with L calling a block and C, appearing to call a charge. C stops signaling upon seeing/hearing L's whistle.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2019, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Peace
Old Sun Jan 06, 2019, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Under NCAAM mechanics, whose call is it? Good on the C for trying to hold back -- it's easier to do from the outside than from L, for whatever reason.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2019, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

The contact takes place outside of the lane. But there is an overall prevailing position that the lead has these plays or plays in the lane. The C should theoretically hold on this one to make sure there is not another whistle.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 06, 2019, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I thought this was poorly officiated, mostly due to positioning. The L is waaaay too far away. Not sure why he was even on that side of the floor or at least not in a closed down position as ball was on the other side the entire time. C was also not closed down enough, not sure he quite made it to the FTLE but on this type of drive, he should be at least at it and stepping toward the play. Both officials had different calls. Even on new inbound they had to get original T back on that end b/c I think he thought it was a PC foul and went the other way. Guarantee they talked about/reviewed this play after the game. Technically, should have been adjudicated as a double foul.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 12:11pm
Often wrong never n doubt

I don't see how this is a blocking foul? I think once they signaled they should have ruled a double foul.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Is the mere pointing of direction enough to make a play a "blarge"?

I was in a situation the other night where I was the L in transition with the play coming at me. The T and I had a simultaneous whistle with both putting up a fist. I had pointed in other direction but not making a preliminary player control foul signal and he gave a block signal.

We quickly got together and he thought it was his call to make as he had the player with the ball going to the basket coming out of his area. I let him make the call. We went with block instead of the double foul.

Was my pointing in a direction enough to warrant a double foul in this situation?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane O View Post
Is the mere pointing of direction enough to make a play a "blarge"?

I was in a situation the other night where I was the L in transition with the play coming at me. The T and I had a simultaneous whistle with both putting up a fist. I had pointed in other direction but not making a preliminary player control foul signal and he gave a block signal.

We quickly got together and he thought it was his call to make as he had the player with the ball going to the basket coming out of his area. I let him make the call. We went with block instead of the double foul.

Was my pointing in a direction enough to warrant a double foul in this situation?
The signaling is what creates the "blarge." If you do not signal, not "blarge" by rule (as "blarge" is not used in the rulebook either, just covering the bases right now )

If you do not signal at all, then there is no rules issue.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They're In The Black Helicopters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
..."blarge" is not used in the rulebook either, just covering the bases right now ...
Hopefully the NFHS Language Police aren't paying attention.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 10, 2019 at 02:04pm.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The signaling is what creates the "blarge." If you do not signal, not "blarge" by rule (as "blarge" is not used in the rulebook either, just covering the bases right now )

If you do not signal at all, then there is no rules issue.

Peace
I did not signal a PC foul but I pointed in a direction that could be interpreted that is what I would signal. Does my pointing constitute signaling that we should have called a double foul? My partner signaled block, I pointed in opposite direction, lol.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 02:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane O View Post
I did not signal a PC foul but I pointed in a direction that could be interpreted that is what I would signal. Does my pointing constitute signaling that we should have called a double foul? My partner signaled block, I pointed in opposite direction, lol.
If the coach of the team on defense sees you with a fist in the air and pointing the opposite direction, he most definitely will interpret it as an offensive foul signal.

If your partner had not had a whistle, what would be the interpretation of your fist being up and you pointing in the opposite direction?

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 10, 2019 at 02:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

As for this play, contact occurred outside the key on the C's side of the court and the C was the one who would have had the correct call for this play. Then the calling official directs the ball to be put in play on the wrong side of the basket.

From positioning, to game awareness, to lack of hustle when going to report, to lazy administration following the call--not a good look for the Lead. (yes, I know his name and his resume')

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 10, 2019 at 04:55pm.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball happens really fast.. Split second decisions. We talk about who last touched ball before going OB. Did violation happen before foul? I think we should be able to talk on these and figure out right call. Our football friends get to throw a fkag and then pick it up. I don’t think we should be locked in on these when each guy is reacting in split second. Let them talk and if each is firm..then do double foul thing...BLOW AND HOLD from the outside also helps avoid these situations.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 10, 2019 at 03:32pm.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Basketball happens really fast.. Split second decisions. We talk about who last touched ball before going OB. Did violation happen before foul? I think we should be able to talk on these and figure out right call. Our football friends get to throw a fkag and then pick it up. I don’t think we should be locked in on these when each guy is reacting in split second. Let them talk and if each is firm..then do double foul thing...BLOW AND HOLD from the outside also helps avoid these situations.
Officials do not do that often and it is done when there are rules that apply that would make an action not illegal. They do not pick up holding calls just because someone disagrees with the call. You might pick up a defensive pass interference because the ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage, where another official does not even rule on PI rules. If there is a play at the pylon, those plays are ruled on one way or the other and cannot just decide not to make the call. Something has to be called. We just have a rule that says we cannot just arbitrarily pick one and I think in general that is a good rule. Because officials do not need to sell every call IMO.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If the coach of the team on defense sees you with a fist in the air and pointing the opposite direction, he most definitely will interpret it as an offensive foul signal.

If your partner had not had a whistle, what would be the interpretation of your fist being up and you pointing in the opposite direction?
Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely would have called an offensive foul if not for partner blowing his whistle. No doubt my pointing in the opposite direction would be interpreted as an offensive foul call.

I haven't yet been caught in a situation like that and instantly was like oh shit! I already had my story to weasel out of it if asked by the coach(which was right in front of their bench). I was gonna say something to the effect that I thought I saw my partner signaling the other way or something like that but was mistaken. Luckily it was only the fans who voiced their displeasure and not the coach.