The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Dec. 23 Arizona at UNLV

No call on possible 3-pt BI with 10 seconds left in 2nd half.

UNLV player hits the net while the ball was close within the cylinder. Such a bang-bang play during a crucial part of the game. Thank you.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it, but considering how you described it, I'm not surprised it was a no-call.

There are basically two common types of BI: BI from touching the ball while it's on the rim or in the cylinder, and BI from touching the basket/net while the ball is on/within the basket.

The former is relatively easy to call. But still hard.

The latter...oye vey. Unless the ball is rolling around on the rim, which it does maybe once or twice per game at most, this call is almost impossible because the instant of a player touching the basket/net has to coincide precisely with when ball happens to be touching the rim. And even when this does happen, because the action is lower, it's often tough to trace back who's arm you saw down to the jersey color amid a sea of players.

So on a 3-pt shot in a close game with 10 seconds left, unless I'm 200% sure, I'm not making that call, especially since the action of touching the basket/net probably didn't affect the outcome of the shot anyway.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 02:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
...oye vey.
It's "oy vey". There's no "e' in "oy". I even have an "oy vey" button on my computer keyboard.

Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Would Have Guessed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I even have an "oy vey" button on my computer keyboard.
Figures. I bet that you use it a lot. Maybe I should get one. I really need it whenever a fan posts on the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 25, 2014 at 05:28pm.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mark Padgett;947795]It's "oy vey". There's no "e' in "oy". I even have an "oy vey" button on my computer keyboard.

I have been schooled. Well done, my friend.