The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Karl Hess at Samford 1/3

Anyone see this interaction between Karl Hess and the Samford head coach during a game in SoCon Conference action last night?
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019...ideo-awouuuuuu
Thoughts?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 12:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

I love how the coach thinks that people cannot say something to him. He likely has not been in the right neighborhoods, if he has never been "stepped to." That being said, if he said something to him, he has a right to confront him. And probably did that to prevent throwing his behind. Because if he had thrown him, he would have been complaining that he was allowed to say something and Hess to not react.

Sorry, coaches and the public crack me up. You say whatever you like but when human beings respond, then they are in the wrong.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I guess maybe my volleyball background heavily influences the way I view coach/official interaction. If you ever saw a volleyball official walk that way towards a coach I think there's a decent chance they lose a few matches.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I guess maybe my volleyball background heavily influences the way I view coach/official interaction. If you ever saw a volleyball official walk that way towards a coach I think there's a decent chance they lose a few matches.
I have a baseball and football background. It is not uncommon in those sports to confront a coach. And nothing would happen to you as an official if you did so. Because it is common to have to go to a coach and set some standards. Coaches certainly come to you to argue about something that upsets them in those sports.

Again, people cannot have it both ways. You cannot get to say what you want and not expect a reaction. If he simply tossed the coach then people would have said he had "rabbit ears." Unless I know what was said, I am going to stay basically neutral on the issue. The article never said what was said and something tells me that is because it would not make the coach look very good.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's a bad look when the official goes charging towards the coach in an aggressive manner. These guys have way more experience than me, but I think there are better options -- either penalize or attempt to de-escalate.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Agree, ref did not need to burst over there. The bursting is confrontational in itself.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Post game interview Padgett admits he not used to guys "stepping to" him. My guess, Padgett is used to being an a$$hole and not being challenged. I'm 6'5", 255ish and I have found that male coaches get flustered and/or astonished when I react to them with the same aggressiveness that they themselves display.

I'm going with the educated guess that Padgett said something disrespectful and worthy of getting T'd and Hess instead chose to address face-to-face. I've done that more than a few times in my career.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Post game interview Padgett admits he not used to guys "stepping to" him. My guess, Padgett is used to being an a$$hole and not being challenged. I'm 6'5", 255ish and I have found that male coaches get flustered and/or astonished when I react to them with the same aggressiveness that they themselves display.
I want to know what he said to Hess. Then I can judge what should or should not have been done. And that also tells me the same thing, he thought he could likely get away with it and was surprised that he was "stepped to." And yes it might not happen on the street, but not every situation on the street is equal. Some people have other things to address your size on the street.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Get yelled at by coaches and fans for 30 years. Stand up for yourself one time and make headlines. The life of a referee.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Get yelled at by coaches and fans for 30 years. Stand up for yourself one time and make headlines. The life of a referee.
And people "wonder" why there are shortages all over the country.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post

I assure you, Karl Hess has stood up for himself a few more times than once. That’s why we’re talking about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I think I would not have done what he did, but in the heat of the moment who knows what could happen. Also I am not Karl Hess. He has been to the Final Four six (?) times and can get away with things I cannot.

That being said, it is so hypocritical for these coaches to b*tch and moan and act like lunatics on the sideline and justify it by saying they're "standing up for their guys," then to pay lip service to "professionalism" when an official stands up for himself.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I think I would not have done what he did, but in the heat of the moment who knows what could happen. Also I am not Karl Hess. He has been to the Final Four six (?) times and can get away with things I cannot.

That being said, it is so hypocritical for these coaches to b*tch and moan and act like lunatics on the sideline and justify it by saying they're "standing up for their guys," then to pay lip service to "professionalism" when an official stands up for himself.
My point exactly. And that is why I would really like to know what the coach said for that to even happen. I have learned the more I officiate the more I know who I am and what I can get away with the more I had accomplished stuff and the officials around me understood the same things. Hess knows what he can get away with or how if he gets in trouble is going to hurt him. He might not care because he realizes where he is on the career arc. There are people still trying to impress the right people and Hess clearly is not trying to do that anymore. Funny the coach never admits to what he said to Hess and that tells me he was probably being a dick and a bigger dick challenged him. IJS.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He likely has not been in the right neighborhoods, if he has never been "stepped to."
You and I have differing ideas of what the "right neighborhoods" are
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
You and I have differing ideas of what the "right neighborhoods" are
Are you sure? I never defined what those were.

Peace