The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Bonus?

Blue inbounding ball. Blue called for a push off trying to get open. Free throws on bonus or just a turnover?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Turnover. Fouls on throw-ins by the team that has the ball for the throw-in are considered team control fouls. Team control fouls do NOT result in free throws. Therefore no free throws, and possession to White at the spot nearest to the foul.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That’s what I thought. An apparently competent varsity trio gave the FTs and I was wondering if there was a quirky rule I didn’t know.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

For whatever reason, if it's not a PC foul or an illegal screen, we tend to forget about the TC foul.

I had a "loose ball" (yeah, I know that's not a FED term) foul on the offense last night and I pointed to my "shooter" after blowing the whistle before I corrected myself. Table still blew the horn after the ball was inbounded, though.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Although not part of the original post, if the throw in was an alternating possession throw in, then the AP arrow would not change. A foul on either team, or a violation by the defense keeps the AP arrow the same.

6-4-5
The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. If either team fouls during an alternating-possession throw-in, it does not cause the throw-in team to lose the possession arrow. If the defensive team commits a violation during the throw-in, the possession arrow is not switched.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
Although not part of the original post, if the throw in was an alternating possession throw in, then the AP arrow would not change. A foul on either team, or a violation by the defense keeps the AP arrow the same.

6-4-5
The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. If either team fouls during an alternating-possession throw-in, it does not cause the throw-in team to lose the possession arrow. If the defensive team commits a violation during the throw-in, the possession arrow is not switched.
Not necessarily. The throw-in ends on any inbounds touch, which would reverse the AP arrow, but the rule for team control fouls on plays resuming with a throw-in covers all action until player control is gained inbounds. Therefore, if the throw-in pass was touched or tipped, but not controlled and then the throwing team fouled, you would have a situation in which the arrow switches and a team control foul was committed.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2018, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not necessarily. The throw-in ends on any inbounds touch, which would reverse the AP arrow, but the rule for team control fouls on plays resuming with a throw-in covers all action until player control is gained inbounds. Therefore, if the throw-in pass was touched or tipped, but not controlled and then the throwing team fouled, you would have a situation in which the arrow switches and a team control foul was committed.
I see and understand what you're saying. But the rule addresses a foul that occurs during the AP throw in (ie before the throw in ends). Once touched, as you point out, the throw in is over and any foul would be administered like at any other time during the game. And once the throw in is over the AP would be changed too.