The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Conflict of Interest

We are a small rural association with a low number of officials but most are very good almost a quarter of our top officials work university level games. As a result we tend to work double headers, two person, and a variety of levels. We could show up to a gym and the double header could be v boys and v girls, jv and v for either side or even a middle school game and high school game. FOlks in my association are flexible I could be on a middle school game with a college level official some nights.

It has always been on us to decline games or assignments because of conflict of interest. Has never been a big problem. We now have a school complaining about the quality of officials they get as a direct result.

We have 9-12 varsity level officials in our pool most years. As I said we have 4 officials who work college level and high school 3-5 more who are capable or young up and coming officials (I'm putting myself there) and 2-3 guys who are on the down hill slide or who have just been around for a long time but not gotten better.

A lot of these guys will officiate at schools where they are alumni but some will not. Basically what has happened is between the college and guys and capable group we have school team with 3 school alumni, 1 fraternal relationship (hi bro), 1 former player and an employer/employee relationship. All of whom are declining games because of conflict of interest. As a result when the other college level officials aren't available this school is consistently getting the bottom 2-3 guys.

Should we be encouraging some of these officials to not see this as a conflict of interest or just let it roll.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

When you're that small, you just have to be a little less strict on the conflicts. For those that are alumni, maybe consider it no longer a conflict after some number of years (5, maybe 10....long enough to not be close friends with half the team or staff).

Even the visiting teams might be happy to see the better officials even knowing they went to the home school 20 years ago, particularly if they know them and otherwise like them. If the other schools are also in your area, you could even ask them if they'd still like to see those officials on that school's game given their connections.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Nov 12, 2018 at 03:11pm.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Conflict Of Interest, Or A Perceived Conflict Of Interest …

It's always a good policy to block teams/schools due to a conflict of interest, or even a perceived conflict of interest.

That said, there may not be any cut and dry rules regarding such.

Attending a school and/or playing on that school's team should not be an automatic block. How much time has passed by? Is the coaching staff the same? Is the athletic director the same?

Familial relationships should almost always be blocked. Daughter attends the school? Nephew plays on the team? Brother-in-law coaches the team?

Close relationships and business relationships should almost always be blocked. College roommate coaches? Official is teacher in school system?

I taught and coached at the middle school in my hometown. My three kids played sports, including basketball, at the high school. For years I blocked out my hometown high school. I retired from teaching and coaching about a dozen years ago. My kids are now adults. New athletic director at the high school, new coaching staffs for both boys and girls. I stopped blocking the high school a few years ago.

I had a few of my former players move onto high school coaching positions in other towns. It was a difficult decision for me, but I never blocked those schools. Right, or wrong, I didn't lose any sleep over these former player decisions, it was something that I felt in my gut wasn't going to be a problem.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 12, 2018 at 03:24pm.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Code of Ethics and Conduct

Members shall be free of obligation to any interest other than the impartial and fair judging of a sports competition.

Members shall recognize that anything which may lead to conflict of interest either real or apparent must be avoided. Gifts, favors, special treatment, privileges, employment or personal relationship with a school or team which can compromise the perceived impartiality of officiating must be avoided.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 12, 2018 at 03:17pm.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 05:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ethics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Familial relationships should almost always be blocked.
Daughter dates boy from another school? No problem. Daughter dates boy on that school's basketball team? Problem.

It's not as cut and dry as some think. There are so many combinations and permutations. Relationships can be close, or not close. Time can pass, or maybe not enough time has passed.

And it's not just a real conflict of interest, it's also a perceived conflict of interest that needs to be dealt with.

Our State Legislature Speaker of the House (a part time job in Connecticut) has a full time day job as a union educator, for state worker unions. He's also the greatly loved and respected long time head coach of his hometown's very successful big time high school football team, that helps on election day. He's probably got ethics lawyers on speed dial.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 12, 2018 at 06:10pm.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have worked at my former high school, family friends relatives on the team and people I have known for years involved in the game.

The only situation that I got off a game/tournament or felt uncomfortable is when I was dating the cousin of a coach that I was engaged to (not my wife). I made it clear that I did not feel comfortable working that tournament game because it would have been hard to react to the coach because I would likely hear about it sometime later. It was an easy fix, I worked the game before the tournament and moved on. It worked out in the end.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

I'll be at my alma mater three times this week (once for just a scrimmage). I only know the coaches from working their games in the past and I don't know any of the kids at the school, therefore none of the parents know who I am.

I still know some of the teachers there, it's kind of fun to run into them in the gym after or before a game.

I know that I can call a fair game when I go there, or when I have them at another school. I guess that's what it comes down to for me.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2018, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post

I know that I can call a fair game when I go there, or when I have them at another school. I guess that's what it comes down to for me.
I have coached girls travel teams from our community about 3-4 years ago. I know a lot of parents from that and also officiating in the weekend travel league that these teams play in. (as do most of the officials...some who have kids that are former players)

I may be asked to work at the Middle School as a fill in...I won't take any HS games cause I am friends with and helped the HS Coach with his summer camp a couple years ago.

I'm wondering if at the JRHS level if I should wait a couple more years OR is this something for the assignor to decide?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2018, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
I have coached girls travel teams from our community about 3-4 years ago. I know a lot of parents from that and also officiating in the weekend travel league that these teams play in. (as do most of the officials...some who have kids that are former players)

I may be asked to work at the Middle School as a fill in...I won't take any HS games cause I am friends with and helped the HS Coach with his summer camp a couple years ago.

I'm wondering if at the JRHS level if I should wait a couple more years OR is this something for the assignor to decide?
It never hurts to make assigners aware of any potential conflicts, then letting them decide if they're comfortable with it.

Junior high game? My kid would need to be playing on the team for me to think it's a legitimate conflict.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2018, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked regular season volleyball games and football involving my former high school. However, I had graduated from there in 2012, was never involved in their athletics program, and had only attended there senior year, so I don't believe that working games there would be a conflict of interest now.