The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Which has priority? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10411-has-priority.html)

Luv4Asian8 Mon Oct 13, 2003 01:18pm

which indicator would have priority to end the period...the red light behind backboard OR the buzzer (assumingly, they are mistakenly not synchronized)?

thanks

rainmaker Mon Oct 13, 2003 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
which indicator would have priority to end the period...the red light behind backboard OR the buzzer (assumingly, they are mistakenly not synchronized)?

thanks

Tough question. The item that has first priority is the clock itself. I would think horn would be second, but I don't know if there's a rule.

Dan_ref Mon Oct 13, 2003 01:54pm

NCAA 1-17-4 says the light is there "to indicate when the period-ending horn has sounded". It does not say the horn is there to indicate when the period-ending light is illuminated. Draw your own conclusions.

Jurassic Referee Mon Oct 13, 2003 04:15pm

Quote:

thanks

In high school,it's the buzzer,horn,etc.

NFHS Rule 5-6. "It ends when the signal <i>sounds</i> indicating time has expired...".

Luv4Asian8 Mon Oct 13, 2003 04:22pm

[/B][/QUOTE]In high school,it's the buzzer,horn,etc.

NFHS Rule 5-6. "It ends when the signal <i>sounds</i> indicating time has expired...". [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for!

Larks Tue Oct 14, 2003 09:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

thanks

In high school,it's the buzzer,horn,etc.

NFHS Rule 5-6. "It ends when the signal <i>sounds</i> indicating time has expired...".

This is a good thing because the old guys wouldnt be able to see the red light anyway without their glasses and all!

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by Larks
[/B]
This is a good thing because the old guys wouldnt be able to see the red light anyway without their glasses and all!

[/B][/QUOTE]Actually,it's better for us to see.What if our hearing aid batteries die at the wrong time? :eek:

rainmaker Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:42am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Larks

[/B]
Actually,it's better for us to see.What if our hearing aid batteries die at the wrong time? :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

JR -- Is this just a hypothetical question? Or has it actually happened to you?

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

[/B]
Actually,it's better for us to see.What if our hearing aid batteries die at the wrong time? :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]Hey,do I ask you what you do if your batteries fail?

I apologize,Juulie-but I just couldn't help it.:D

Barry C. Morris Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:11pm

J.R. - 1
Rain - 0

For those keeping score at home.

Dan_ref Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
J.R. - 1
Rain - 0

I was looking the other way and have no idea what you're talking about.

No idea at all....

Anyways...who ya like in the game this afternoon?

Luv4Asian8 Tue Oct 14, 2003 01:36pm

had a funny argument presented in assocation mtg last nite...."light travels faster than sound" :)

ChuckElias Tue Oct 14, 2003 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
J.R. - 1
Rain - 0

As Keith Olbermann used to say on ESPN, "That's a 4-3 groundout if you're scoring at home. . . or even if you're not!" :)

rainmaker Tue Oct 14, 2003 03:49pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Actually,it's better for us to see.What if our hearing aid batteries die at the wrong time? :eek: [/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]Hey,do I ask you what you do if your batteries fail? [/B][/QUOTE]

JR -- I'm not reduced to battery power yet, in fact, my warranty isn't even expired.

Back In The Saddle Tue Oct 14, 2003 07:05pm

Quote:

had a funny argument presented in assocation mtg last nite...."light travels faster than sound" :)
Which is why so many coaches look quite bright...until you hear them ;)