LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
This is a good thing because the old guys wouldnt be able to see the red light anyway without their glasses and all!

[/B]
Actually,it's better for us to see.What if our hearing aid batteries die at the wrong time? [/B][/QUOTE]

This is known to have happened!

LOL
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
had a funny argument presented in assocation mtg last nite...."light travels faster than sound"
Which is why so many coaches look quite bright...until you hear them
hhaha great one!!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
In high school,it's the buzzer,horn,etc.

NFHS Rule 5-6. "It ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired...". [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for! [/B][/QUOTE]

How's this for clarity?:
NFHS 1-14 A red light is permitted behind each backboard to supplement the audible timers' signal that time has expired for a quarter or extra period. It shall be synchronized with this signal.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
When I did track, I always looked for the smoke to start the watch. Not the sound. In Basketball they are close enough for them to be almost simultanious. Unless you know for sure one is wronge, I would go with the light on the scoreboard.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden

In Basketball they are close enough for them to be almost simultanious. Unless you know for sure one is wronge, I would go with the light on the scoreboard.
Why would you go with the light? The rulebook says that the period officially ends when the signal sounds. The rulebook also says that the light is "supplemental" only to the signal.Seems pretty straightforward as to which one that they want used.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

In Basketball they are close enough for them to be almost simultanious. Unless you know for sure one is wronge, I would go with the light on the scoreboard.
Why would you go with the light? The rulebook says that the period officially ends when the signal sounds. The rulebook also says that the light is "supplemental" only to the signal.Seems pretty straightforward as to which one that they want used.
Furtrhermore, unless the planets line up, how are you going to focus on both well. Eyes on the shot, ears open for the horn. Eyes on the clock or light, how are you going to see when the release is?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Positioning my man. Get the right position and you will always know what went first. Actually I would try to line up so I saw the clock. I am so not used to having a light that I would go with seeing zeros on the clock.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Positioning my man. Get the right position and you will always know what went first. Actually I would try to line up so I saw the clock. I am so not used to having a light that I would go with seeing zeros on the clock.
Whoops! Gotta problem with that one too,Tim. Seeing zeros on the clock isn't officially the end of a period either. Only the sound of the horn officially ends the period. I had a game where the clock stopped on a whistle and it then showed 00, but the horn never went off. We had to put to put the ball back into play to make the horn sound,and that officially ended the period.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I did track, I always looked for the smoke to start the watch. Not the sound. In Basketball they are close enough for them to be almost simultanious. Unless you know for sure one is wronge, I would go with the light on the scoreboard.
That's absolutely correct for track and field - because the action causing the flash and the sound are one and the same. In basketball, however, even though the horn and light are supposed to be synchronized, there are times when they are not. In those cases, the horn prevails.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Whoops! Gotta problem with that one too,Tim. Seeing zeros on the clock isn't officially the end of a period either. Only the sound of the horn officially ends the period. I had a game where the clock stopped on a whistle and it then showed 00, but the horn never went off. We had to put to put the ball back into play to make the horn sound,and that officially ended the period.
That may be true but if I am looking at the clock for a last second shot I will call off the the shot if I see all zeros and the hand is still on the ball. If the timer can stop the clock with 00 on the clock and no horn, then we play on.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That may be true but if I am looking at the clock for a last second shot I will call off the the shot if I see all zeros and the hand is still on the ball. If the timer can stop the clock with 00 on the clock and no horn, then we play on.

Been there . . . . done that!
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

gentlemen, what gives you the right, or power to set aside the fact that the horn ends the period, and I respectfully disagree that you can see both the hand on or off the ball and the zeros...we have a clock in a high school here that shows 0:00 a little bit before the horn goes off...we are sure in our pregame conference to tell the visitors, that it is the horn, not the clock that ends the period...