The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2018, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Electronic rule book 2018=2019

I am trying to get a copy of the 2018–2019 rulebook in the NFHS app. For some reason it is not showing up in there. I thought that a couple weeks ago I had noticed it instead of my 2017–2018 book, it automatically changed to the 2018–2019 book. But now that is no longer the case. Is anybody else having the same problem? I also tried to just add it as a new book, and it does not show up as an available book for me to add. I have noticed that the 2018–2019 book is available for the Kindle app. I would preferred to get it through the NFHS Rules app if possible.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone access the 2018-2019 rule book in the NFHS app??
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

All I see is the 2018-19 Case Book. I don't see the rules.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I have the rule book. I downloaded it a couple months ago in the NFHS app. I can't remember how.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

It would be awesome if NFHS allowed people to download its rulebooks for free, just like the NCAA. However, is there a way to get the rulebook from Arbiter, and then port the screenshots offline, or copy the text into a Word document and read that offline? That's how I'd get around the problem of not being able to download the rulebook.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

It's 6 or 7 bucks. Not like it's going to break the bank. Why not just buy it?
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
It's 6 or 7 bucks. Not like it's going to break the bank. Why not just buy it?
I have no problem just buying it. I just wish they were at least consistent as to when they made it available on all platforms each year. Last year they were very late making it available on the Kindle app, which forced me to have to buy it through the NFHS App. It is available on the Kindle app already this year. I’ll probably just go ahead and buy it there.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

But there is one other thing that I found a little interesting. About a month or so ago when I logged into the app where the 2017–2018 book used to be, which I purchased last year, the 2018–2019 rulebook was there instead. A couple weeks later, the 2018–19 rule book is nowhere to be found, and the 2017–18 book has returned. I will admit that I was a little excited when I first saw this because I had bought the book last year and thought I was not going to have to pay for again this year. Apparently that is not the case. And I’m fine with that. The part that is a little upsetting is the fact that our state, when we pay our fee, send us out the test, the preseason guide any free rulebook. Figuring I would get my rulebook easily on mine, I asked for a hard copy of the casebook instead, which they are always willing to do. But if I knew that getting the rulebook in the app is going to be such a pain, I would’ve just stuck with the hard copy of the rulebook this year.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 08:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
But there is one other thing that I found a little interesting. About a month or so ago when I logged into the app where the 2017–2018 book used to be, which I purchased last year, the 2018–2019 rulebook was there instead. A couple weeks later, the 2018–19 rule book is nowhere to be found, and the 2017–18 book has returned. I will admit that I was a little excited when I first saw this because I had bought the book last year and thought I was not going to have to pay for again this year. Apparently that is not the case. And I’m fine with that. The part that is a little upsetting is the fact that our state, when we pay our fee, send us out the test, the preseason guide any free rulebook. Figuring I would get my rulebook easily on mine, I asked for a hard copy of the casebook instead, which they are always willing to do. But if I knew that getting the rulebook in the app is going to be such a pain, I would’ve just stuck with the hard copy of the rulebook this year.
Why wouldn't the state provide both the case and rule book if you register with them and pay money? Our registration fee covers the rulebook, McKay's book and the yearly NFHS handout.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Why wouldn't the state provide both the case and rule book if you register with them and pay money? Our registration fee covers the rulebook, McKay's book and the yearly NFHS handout.

I guess that just varies from state to state as far as what is included in the fee you pay. For $70 we get the Part 1 test for certification and our rule book. Attritional books are about $7 each plus shipping. What do you pay for the library they provide you??
Old Mon Oct 15, 2018, 10:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
I guess that just varies from state to state as far as what is included in the fee you pay. For $70 we get the Part 1 test for certification and our rule book. Attritional books are about $7 each plus shipping. What do you pay for the library they provide you??
Our yearly registration is $40, $25 if you're already registered for another sport. That gets us a test, both books, the handout, and an online state clinic.

Old Tue Oct 16, 2018, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

And VHSL also conducts a background check on officials every year, as they register, without officials having to pay any extra money/take any other steps. I'd assume that the registration money also covers that.