The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts on Block/Charge play and sequence that follows (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104002-thoughts-block-charge-play-sequence-follows.html)

jeremy341a Thu Sep 06, 2018 09:57am

Thoughts on Block/Charge play and sequence that follows

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XIEhk_TKxG0?start=75" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jakeas2 Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13am

Looks flagrant to me. Pushing the kid in mid air by his feet and having him land nearly on his head. Not sure about the original call. I think maybe a slow whistle and you just call the flagrant and move on.

rwodar Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:21am

This play must either be ruled a common foul, intentional foul or flagrant foul based on NFHS rules. A technical foul cannot occur due to live ball contact.

Personally this appears flagrant to me. Throwing the player down with that extended arm is unnecessary, excessive and can be perceived as an intent to harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27am

FP.

Maybe ALSO a T for the squaring up that happened after the P (I thought that's what the referee was doing because he signaled block first)

JRutledge Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37am

It was going to be nothing, but when he threw up to the ground, he has got to go. I would call that flagrant. That is why you see the entire play.

Peace

JRutledge Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:41am

And who is the commentator, he clearly does not know rules in question?

Peace

bob jenkins Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:42am

Suppose Defense had LGP. Is this then a charge AND a FP? So, a double foul? ;)

Camron Rust Thu Sep 06, 2018 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1024257)

I know your post was somewhat in jest, but while he did have LGP, did he lose it when he extended his arms?

Of course, I have a flagrant on this no matter how we slice it.

bob jenkins Thu Sep 06, 2018 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1024258)
I know your post was somewhat in jest, but while he did have LGP, did he lose it when he extended his arms?

Of course, I have a flagrant on this no matter how we slice it.

I was serious in that I think it's a good exercise in flagrants and double fouls and false double fouls, etc. I just wanted, for this purpose, to take the LGP as a given and not get into a debate over whether it really applies to this play.

jeremy341a Thu Sep 06, 2018 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1024257)

Could it theoretically be a Charge followed by a technical since the ball would then be dead?

ilyazhito Thu Sep 06, 2018 02:49pm

Not a charge at the NCAA level, because LGP cannot be established in the restricted area. In NFHS, this would initially be a no-call, because neither the defender nor the offensive player are doing anything wrong. However, once the defender flips the offensive player, all bets are off. It would be a flagrant foul (flagrant 2 foul in NCAA) with 2 free throws and possession for Black onot the endline. Flipping a person onto his head is not a basketball play, it is excessive contact, and also violent and unnecessary.

Stat-Man Thu Sep 06, 2018 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwodar (Post 1024253)
This play must either be ruled a common foul, intentional foul or flagrant foul based on NFHS rules. A technical foul cannot occur due to live ball contact.

Personally this appears flagrant to me. Throwing the player down with that extended arm is unnecessary, excessive and can be perceived as an intent to harm.

Looking at the replay, the ball has already entered the basket when the black team player throws the white team player over the shoulder. By rule, the ball is dead during this period, so a technical foul for dead-ball intentional or flagrant contact would be the right call to make here.

Camron Rust Thu Sep 06, 2018 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1024260)
Could it theoretically be a Charge followed by a technical since the ball would then be dead?

No. The other player was an airborne shooter. Contact with an airborne shooter, even if the ball is dead, is still a personal foul.

Camron Rust Thu Sep 06, 2018 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1024261)
Not a charge at the NCAA level, because LGP cannot be established in the restricted area.

You might want to rethink that statement. When was LGP actually established? Is isn't necessarily when he stops.

rwodar Thu Sep 06, 2018 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 1024262)
Looking at the replay, the ball has already entered the basket when the black team player throws the white team player over the shoulder. By rule, the ball is dead during this period, so a technical foul for dead-ball intentional or flagrant contact would be the right call to make here.

Cannot have a T on contact with an airborne shooter.