The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 08:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I actually don't think the new change is confusing. It seems pretty obvious to me....and it isn't the NCAA rule.
That is the problem. You only "think" you do not know. Kind of what we are talking about here. Until the information comes out we are all only "thinking" what the rule actually does. Because there is certainly no evidence that the rule was changed for one interpretation as nothing supports that position. Actually, the NCAA Rule is more logical because it was a recent NCAA change and now the NF uses almost similar language. But as stated before, I am willing to have final judgment when everything comes out. Apparently people that have no direct line of information are unwilling to wait as well.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 10:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

In Its Present Form ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Apparently people that have no direct line of information are unwilling to wait as well.
I can wait. My local board "new rules meeting" won't be until late October. My refresher exam won't be due until mid November. My first scrimmage won't be until late November. My first game won't be until early December. But until then, for discussion purposes (since I won't be taking an exam, or officiating any games or scrimmages), I'm going with the rule as it was written and publicized, and don't need to speculate as to whether, or not, the rule is the same as the NCAA rule because, in its present form, it isn't. That may change in the fall, or a year from now, or after that, or never, but it isn't the same right now.

NCAA: 9-12-5 A pass or any other loose ball in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player, which causes the ball to go into the backcourt may be recovered by either team even if the offense was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt.

NFHS 9-9-1: EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 21, 2018 at 10:52pm.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 11:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I actually don't think the new change is confusing. It seems pretty obvious to me....and it isn't the NCAA rule.
Except that the exception really has nothing to do with the rule that it addresses. The rule that it addresses talks about an offensive player touching the ball last in the front court. The exception talks about a defensive player touching the ball last in the frontcourt.

They would have been better off just adding the verbage from "Basketball Comments on the Rules", May 17, 2018" quoted upstream as a note to the BC rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 22, 2018 at 12:49pm.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 12:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can wait. My local board "new rules meeting" won't be until late October. My refresher exam won't be due until mid November. My first scrimmage won't be until late November. My first game won't be until early December. But until then, for discussion purposes (since I won't be taking an exam, or officiating any games or scrimmages), I'm going with the rule as it was written and publicized, and don't need to speculate as to whether, or not, the rule is the same as the NCAA rule because, in its present form, it isn't. That may change in the fall, or a year from now, or after that, or never, but it isn't the same right now.
Well the NF Rulebooks are out in like late July or early August if they are publishing in the same timing as they have in the past. There will be literature out long before November likely giving incite on the issue. Now I am not saying they will clear up your personal concerns. I would suspect that the NF will sloppily resolve this and create more questions as they already have. But again we will have to see. And what I mean by saying that the rule is the same as the NCAA, I believe the intent of the application is the same. But we already know the NF hates to take on other level rules while at the same time trying to create the very same rule application. That is kind of why we are here in the first place because they clearly wanted to take the NCAA Team Control Rule, but for some reason did not want to use the already existing language. But clearly, they would come back and say how they wanted the rule to be applied (which was basically the same as the NCAA in every way except that stupid interpretation).

Peace
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is the problem. You only "think" you do not know. Kind of what we are talking about here. Until the information comes out we are all only "thinking" what the rule actually does. Because there is certainly no evidence that the rule was changed for one interpretation as nothing supports that position. Actually, the NCAA Rule is more logical because it was a recent NCAA change and now the NF uses almost similar language. But as stated before, I am willing to have final judgment when everything comes out. Apparently people that have no direct line of information are unwilling to wait as well.
Then why do you keep posting what you think it is about instead of just waiting for the clarification to come?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue May 22, 2018 at 10:34am.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 07:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Then why do you keep posting what you think is about instead of just waiting for the clarification to come?
Because the comments are directed towards me and Raymond. That is kind of how it works.

Peace
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

There isn't enough popcorn in the world.

I guess if I was a good moderator, I'd moderate here, but I'm just so damned entertained.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There isn't enough popcorn in the world.

I guess if I was a good moderator, I'd moderate here, but I'm just so damned entertained.
Yeah, I've been staying out of this for days but the absurdity of it is certainly amusing. Some things never change.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Always listen to bob. Wait ... I'm being told ... No opinion? But we always listen to bob. We need bob's opinion. Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue May 22, 2018, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Everybody Sits Around The Campfire ...

Quote:
I am not saying they will clear up your personal concerns.
Actually, I have no concerns at this time. I'm fairly confident that I understand the rule as presently written and its intent, purpose, and interpretation. I will have concerns if the (new) rule language stays the same (as the press release) and the interpretation is that the NFHS backcourt deflection rule is the same as the NCAA backcourt deflection rule because, in it's present form, they aren't the same. It (NCAA) rule seems like a good rule. If the NFHS has indeed already switched to the NCAA version, as JRutledge, and others, have assumed, hopefully the NFHS will make some adjustments in the rule language somewhere down the line so the written rule matches the interpretation.

Quote:
I would suspect that the NF will sloppily resolve this and create more questions as they already have.
Agree 100%. See "throwin team control for fouls but not for backcourt" 2017-18 Point of Emphasis, which should be written into the rules for all to see, especially new officials. Same thing with the 2012-13 Point of Emphasis regarding above the shoulder situations (above the shoulder, below the shoulder, excessive swinging, not excessive swinging, contact, no contact, violation, personal foul, intentional foul, flagrant foul). How are new officials without a 2012-13 Rulebook supposed to have a reference for this? By listening to stories in the oral tradition from veteran officials as everybody sits around the campfire splitting bones to eat the bone marrow? And of course, worst of all, see the 2017-18 stupid interpretation (SITUATION 7). "Sloppily" is certainly an accurate description.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 22, 2018 at 05:45pm.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Always listen to bob. Wait ... I'm being told ... No opinion? But we always listen to bob. We need bob's opinion. Never mind.

My opinion is that the thread should have been closed about 140 posts ago -- right after one person said "is this just to correct the interp" and someone else responded "or is it to go to the NCAAM rule" and the corrct third person said "we'll have to wait to see."
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 05:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Break It Down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... right after one person said "is this just to correct the interp" and someone else responded "or is it to go to the NCAAM rule" and the corrct third person said "we'll have to wait to see."
Good summary.