The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Game last night. JV Girls.

Frustrated Team V coach wants a time out because her team is in another place.
No signal for length.
"Coach, you want a full?"
"I don't care!"
"Coach, you want a full."

H ballhandler gets knocked down. Gets up slowly. 1-1 Bonus.
"Do you want to shoot?"
"Yes, but then I need a sub."
"You know, if you mss it's a live ball?"
"Yes, I know."
(clank and home gets rebound)
H coach, "Time out!" (for apparent sub, but no signal)
"Coach, you want a 30."
"Uh, yes, ...a 30."

...And that is the rule I disregarded last evening. But, I retained my presence.

mick

... And which rules will you disregard tomorrow?

Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ignored the rule on a "blarge" last week.

4th quarter, V up by 20+ on the road. 3-man crew. I'm the T on a drive from C that results in a crash at the block on C's side. Double whistle. C has a charge, L has a block.

Rather than explain that both fouls needed to be assessed, followed by an alternating possession throw in, I let them try to sort it out. I was just too frustrated and tired to step in, as these guys for 3+ quarters had been making middle school calls in a game between pretty good varsity teams. Plus, the call would have no effect on the game's outcome.

They decided it was a block, much to the surprise of coach V, who had seen the charge signal from C but not the block from L. She chuckled when her player went to the line.

In hindsight, I should have stepped in, taught my partners the rule, and explained the situation to the coaches.

Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 09:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI

They decided it was a block, much to the surprise of coach V, who had seen the charge signal from C but not the block from L. She chuckled when her player went to the line.

In hindsight, I should have stepped in, taught my partners the rule, and explained the situation to the coaches.

If one member of the crew looks bad,the whole crew will look bad.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was just too frustrated and tired to step in, as these guys for 3+ quarters had been making middle school calls in a game between pretty good varsity teams.
--can you expand on that?
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Mick,

I don't get it. Which rule did you ignore? Keep in mind that I do not use Federation rules.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 08:11am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Mick,

I don't get it. Which rule did you ignore? Keep in mind that I do not use Federation rules.

Jay R,

• "If no indication is made for a 30-second time-out, then a 60-second time-out shall be charged."

mick

Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:14am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by oc
    Quote:

I was just too frustrated and tired to step in, as these guys for 3+ quarters had been making middle school calls in a game between pretty good varsity teams.
    --can you expand on that?
    These guys didn't officiate advantage/disadvantage. In their minds, contact = foul. We had 60+ fouls in a game between two well-coached teams from big schools. The game had no flow, and after a while, I didn't have any more answers when the coaches asked me, "Stan, what the (heck) was that?" on some of the mystery calls.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:26am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Jay R
    Mick,

Jay R,

• "If no indication is made for a 30-second time-out, then a 60-second time-out shall be charged."

mick

• Thanks
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:31am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    [/B]
    These guys didn't officiate advantage/disadvantage. In their minds, contact = foul. We had 60+ fouls in a game between two well-coached teams from big schools. The game had no flow, and after a while, I didn't have any more answers when the coaches asked me, "Stan, what the (heck) was that?" on some of the mystery calls.

[/B][/QUOTE]When you get into these situations, I don't think that you should really try to supply answers. The most that I would ever say to a coach would be something like "Coach,he had a good view of it. If you have a question, ask him later". Personally,I try to keep away from the benches when they want to discuss my partners. That way I don't have to hear something that I don't wanna hear. I don't care how bad the call was,if the coach insults my partner,demeans him in any way ,or goes over my personal line in any way, then I'm gonna nail him. I think that the best thing you can do when you're stuck in a situation like this is just stay stone-faced and never do anything that would suggest that you might agree with a coach that your partners are screwing up.There's nothing the matter with admitting that you might have blown a call, but the guy that blew the call should be the only official on the floor doing that admitting.

JMO.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:53am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
    "Coach,he had a good view of it. If you have a question, ask him later".
    My line is "Coach, I honestly wasn't looking there. I'm sure he won't mind if you ask him/her, though." Seems to work, and interestingly, they ususally forget about the play and don't ask anyway.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:58am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias
    Quote:
    My line is "Coach, I honestly wasn't looking there. I'm sure he won't mind if you ask him/her, though." Seems to work, and interestingly, they ususally forget about the play and don't ask anyway.
    "A rose by any other name...."
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:13pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    ...long stemmed, or not.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:22pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    You can use these lines once, maybe twice, per game. I never sell out my partners, but you cannot defend or continually play dumb when coaches ask you to explain a partner's bad call. After a while, all you can do is let the coach vent. You don't want too much of that, either, so as JR suggested, I kept away from the benches and refused to even make eye contact with the coaches when my partners blew their whistle. I just rotated quickly and administered the penalties or got out of the way.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:26pm
    In Memoriam

Agreeing....

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    You can use these lines once, maybe twice, per game. I never sell out my partners, but you cannot defend or continually play dumb when coaches ask you to explain a bad call. All you can do is let the coach vent. You don't want too much of that, either, so JR suggested, I kept away from the benches and refused to even make eye contact with the coaches when my "partners" blew their whistle. I just rotated quickly and administered the penalties or got out of the way.
    Good call, stan.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 02:19pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    [/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]
    ...long stemmed, or not.

[/B][/QUOTE]Uh oh,Chuck. Mick just made one of those "short" jokes. Next time you see him, bite his ankle!