The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Just when you think... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10374-just-when-you-think.html)

NCAAREF Fri Oct 10, 2003 07:36am

Just when you think you know all the answers (we never really do, do we?)someone poses a question that makes you think.
NCAA Rules
Thrower in A-1 breaks the plane of the boundary line by extending the ball over the playing court. B-1 grabs the ball out of A-1's hands and begins to dribble down the court. What do we have?

Damian Fri Oct 10, 2003 07:57am

You have a good play by B and do nothing.

Then settle down the coach

Indy_Ref Fri Oct 10, 2003 07:59am

We have a good, legal steal & a fastbreak the other way! Don't have my rule book with me for the reference, but as soon as the ball crossed the plain, it became fair game.

rainmaker Fri Oct 10, 2003 08:37am

Quote:

Originally posted by Indy_Ref
but as soon as the ball crossed the plain, it became fair game.
When the game crossed the plain, it became fair game. (Chorus: On the plain, on the plain!) In Spain, in the rane.
(Chorus: In Spain, in Spain!)

ChuckElias Fri Oct 10, 2003 08:42am

Juulie, I suppose you've become accustomed to that coach's face. . .

rainmaker Fri Oct 10, 2003 08:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Juulie, I suppose you've become accustomed to that coach's face. . .
Good one Chuck!!

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Oct 10, 2003 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by NCAAREF
Just when you think you know all the answers (we never really do, do we?)someone poses a question that makes you think.
NCAA Rules
Thrower in A-1 breaks the plane of the boundary line by extending the ball over the playing court. B-1 grabs the ball out of A-1's hands and begins to dribble down the court. What do we have?

Ah, my second greatest bball accomplishment due directly to my frequenting this board. :D I was B1 in a summer league game two summers ago, and scored an uncontested layup while A1 argued with the official. He was holding the ball out with one hand well over the line as if preparing to do a short flip to a teammate.

nine01c Fri Oct 10, 2003 04:26pm

In this same throw-in situation, if B1 holds the ball that is over the plane while A1 (out of bounds) is still holding also, is it a jump ball (possession arrow), or a violation on A1 for being out of bounds?

Mark Padgett Fri Oct 10, 2003 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
In Spain, in the rane.

Juulie - how the heck can you live here in Oregon and not know how to spell "rain"? :p

RefSouthAlb Fri Oct 10, 2003 06:02pm

Mmmmmmmm!

So when the ball crossed the boundary line it became fair game.

Question then

If he then pulls it back can the inbounds player then reach across the boundary line to grab it since it has become fair game?????

Stupid question , but I know I will get a bunch of smart (a**) answers.

Thanks

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 10, 2003 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RefSouthAlb
Mmmmmmmm!

Question then

If he then pulls it back can the inbounds player then reach across the boundary line to grab it since it has become fair game?????

That's not a stupid question:it's a good one.

The rule above no longer applies because the ball is no longer in bounds. Now the rules regarding touching a ball OOB on a throw in will apply. All you have to know is what side of the line the ball is on when the defender touches or grabs it. That will determine your call. There has been no violation by the player throwing the ball in because he simply hasn't started the throw in yet; he's still holding it.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 10th, 2003 at 06:36 PM]

Camron Rust Fri Oct 10, 2003 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RefSouthAlb
Mmmmmmmm!

Question then

Thanks

It goes back to the rule that reads something like:

A defender may not reach through the throw-in plane until the ball is released on a throwin.

So, if the ball is behind the line and the defender reaches through the line...it is, at a minimum, a violation and possibly a T, if the ball is touched.

ChuckElias Fri Oct 10, 2003 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The rule above no longer applies because the ball is no longer in bounds.
Technically, the ball never was inbounds. The ball was on the inbound side of the OOB plane, but the ball still had OOB status, b/c it was in contact with a player who was touching OOB.

I know that JR knows that, and I also know it's not that big a deal. I just thought I'd point it out.

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 10, 2003 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The rule above no longer applies because the ball is no longer in bounds.
Technically, the ball never was inbounds. The ball was on the inbound side of the OOB plane, but the ball still had OOB status, b/c it was in contact with a player who was touching OOB.

I know that JR knows that, and I also know it's not that big a deal. I just thought I'd point it out.

What? :confused:

Technically,the ball has to have come in bounds,or it never would be legal for the defender to grab it or slap it.In this sitch,you've got a live ball in bounds.That's why it's legal to grab or touch it. NFHS casebook play 10.3.12SitB uses that language.Once the ball goes back OOB,you now have a live ball OOB,and a different rule covers the touching or grabbing of the ball by a defender-ie NFHS rule 9-2-11PENALTY3.It now is an immediate T under NFHS rules,no warning. NCAA rules are the same,I think,but I'm going back to the ballgame.If anybody wants NCAA references,I'll look 'em up later.

PS-I know that it ain't that big a deal. As long as the right call is made,who cares what nomenclature is used.

nine01c Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:03pm

Nobody answered my question (above).
Oh yeah, back to baseball game. Top of the 11th.