Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 07:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Or the kid could be wrong.

I might be wrong on my call, but what I see is the only thing I can go on (besides possible information from a partner). Officiating is an human endeavor, open to error, but we can't officiate by taking admissions or by committee. Nothing at all to do with disrespect.

thedewed, didn't you say that you ref'ed D2? Would you change your call in a D2 game?
Hell no that dude is not a ref. He's a Kansas Jayhawk fan who comes in here to run his mouth.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

There was even a sportmanship commercial with this exact situation that ran for years. It didn't end with the official saying "sorry, even though you were directly involved and it is against your team's interest to provide that information, and a remarkable example of conscientiousness and sportmanship in a world dominated by the opposite of those traits, I know better than you."

Seriously, everyone on the other side must be joking. c'mon, take a step back. you are not seeing the forest for the trees here. embarrassing.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
Seriously, everyone on the other side must be joking. c'mon, take a step back. you are not seeing the forest for the trees here. embarrassing.
And you are not seeing the biosphere for the forest. It sets a dangerous precedent to change a call based on what a player says. We have all read sad stories of a firefighter who is found guilty of arson, in his hope to be a hero. You don't think a kid is capable of a fib on an OOB play, so he can later be praised for his honesty and sportsmanship? And has been stated here, the kid may think the ball was out on him, but that might not be 100% accurate.

The bottom line is that we can't rely on what a kid says to change a call!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

"a sportmanship commercial"

Well, that's an authoritative source of guidance. You can cite that to the other coach when he/she wants an explanation for why you changed your call.

It is so basic to officiating--for good or for bad--that you can only make calls based on what you see, not on what others might say.

Embarrassing? To whom? A fanboy?
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Crystal Ball ???

Quote:
There was even a sportmanship commercial with this exact situation that ran for years. It didn't end with the official saying "sorry, even though you were directly involved and it is against your team's interest to provide that information, and a remarkable example of conscientiousness and sportmanship in a world dominated by the opposite of those traits, I know better than you.".
Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. We never find out how it ended.

https://youtu.be/vOhn6eO3Wds

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Person Game ...

In thirty-seven years, I believe that I've worked two, or three, one person games. In the pregame coaches/captains meeting, I tell everybody that I may have to ask for help (from players, and from coaches (on their sideline)), or I may make mistakes, on out of bounds calls. If both teams can agree on a call, I'll go with their call, otherwise I'm going to the possession arrow. Good help. Very few arrow calls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 25, 2018 at 10:41am.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sportmanship ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. We never find out how it ended.
Of course the offending team can just intentionally turn over the ball on the ensuing possession, that's the way they do it in soccer. That's one reason why they call it "The Beautiful Game".

Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Part Of The Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
... the kid may think the ball was out on him, but that might not be 100% accurate.
Agree. Officials can make mistakes, so can players.

One big difference between players and officials, officials are the only totally, 100%, unbiased people in the gym, that's why we're there.

Everybody else in the gym, even the table, and the police officer in the corner, has a dog in the fight.

Everybody else.

Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins, or loses, but only fairness, and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore, cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls, and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had observed. The rules then determine the penalty.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 25, 2018 at 10:48am.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 11:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
anybody in this thread that wouldn't change the call in that circumstance shouldn't be officiating, are you kidding me? to disrespect a player showing the character to make that admission? It's a bad example of lack of sportsmanship all the way around. You guys think you are infallible? Good lord, this is really ugly, you have to be kidding me. Instead of having a nice moment for all, including the crowd, your egos won't allow you to admit the possibility that you might be wrong.
I do not give a damn why you think me or anyone should be officiating. Players are not always right in their assessment of many things. They think they know rules they do not even understand. They think they did not do things they thought they actually did (usually because they do not understand the actual rules involves as stated before) and they do not know who touched every ball or when a line was touched. I love how players will tell you they did not step on the line, but they clearly stepped on the line and many people saw that situation.

I do not call plays that I do not often see. Is it possible I am wrong? Yep, but it is not likely because the player knows either. And if that bothers you, then you will have to worry about it because I or anyone here likely does not work for your sorry behind in the first place.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There was even a sportmanship commercial with this exact situation that ran for years. It didn't end with the official saying "sorry, even though you were directly involved and it is against your team's interest to provide that information, and a remarkable example of conscientiousness and sportmanship in a world dominated by the opposite of those traits, I know better than you."

Wtf does a commercial have to do with anything?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It was a public service announcement advocating for or coming from a specific church.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Apparently, it's a great way to learn how to referee. Rules books, officiating manuals, clinics--so old school!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Be Careful Out There (Sgt. Phil Esterhaus) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... old school
Watch it buddy. I believe that that's two times over the past week, or so. We all don't want to see what happens if it's mentioned a third time. I guarantee that it won t end well.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 25, 2018 at 12:36pm.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It was a public service announcement advocating for or coming from a specific church.
Already posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thanks Billy, I already saw the posting.

Peace