The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

How would you handle this sitch?

A4 and B4 are competing to secure control of a rebound in the first quarter.
The ball goes OOB and from your vantage point it appeared as though it was last touched by A4, so you give the ball team B. But just as you are setting things back up for resumption of play, player B4 tells you "hey mister referee, to be honest sir, the ball was out off of me." Player A4 says nothing.
Would you ignore the "new information" transmitted by B4 and proceed as you first called it--giving the ball to team B? Or would you reverse your call, respect the honesty of B4, and give the ball to team A?
For the record in our game, we stuck with the original OOB call and gave the ball to team B.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes players "feel" as though they were the last to touch the basketball just as well or poorly as we "see" it. I always appreciate the honesty (it's rare), but I stick with what I saw (but not before peeking around hoping that a partner will come in with information).
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Team B gets the ball.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Happened to me in the last month. I did not change my call, since I did not feel it would be proper to do so based on player information (whether it would benefit their team or not). Slippery slope - if you change this call, then you may be asked to change a call that WOULD benefit that player's team.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 02:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
A4 and B4 are competing to secure control of a rebound in the first quarter.
The ball goes OOB and from your vantage point it appeared as though it was last touched by A4, so you give the ball team B. But just as you are setting things back up for resumption of play, player B4 tells you "hey mister referee, to be honest sir, the ball was out off of me." Player A4 says nothing.
Would you ignore the "new information" transmitted by B4 and proceed as you first called it--giving the ball to team B? Or would you reverse your call, respect the honesty of B4, and give the ball to team A?
For the record in our game, we stuck with the original OOB call and gave the ball to team B.
I actually had this in a college game this season. I didn't change my call though.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

"Thank you, but we'll go with what I saw."
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

What's the level of play?

I've changed a call like this before.
It was a rec league game for adult men. Player A who I thought it went out on vehemently disagreed. Player B said he had hit it last. I switched it. Both teams were happy. I'm not gonna live or die on a call like that if I've potentially missed it.
Never had it happen in a "real" game.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I called it that way for a reason. And seeing all these out of bounds calls during the NCAA Tournament, half the time players have no idea who touched the ball or not. I would go with the way I saw the play. Otherwise, I would get help or go with a held ball.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slippery Slope ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
"hey mister referee, to be honest sir, the ball was out off of me."
I wouldn't change my call, but I would take an extra second to look over at my partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Slippery slope.
Agree. Not one of my favorite terms, especially when applied to politics, but it's appropriate in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"Thank you, but we'll go with what I saw."
Sometimes we may want to do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Nothing worse than seeing the contact, that was passed, and therefore the ball goes OOB. When before we would just give it to the team that "deserved" it due to the pass ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
And people appreciated it when we did that! I can remember several times when a player was probably fouled, but I let it go and then it went out of bounds. I gave it to the team that had been "fouled". The defensive coach immediately says, "that went off them!" And I could say, "it was either that or I have to give them one-and-one". And the coach would invariably say, "ok, thanks".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 23, 2018 at 04:49pm.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2018, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

anybody in this thread that wouldn't change the call in that circumstance shouldn't be officiating, are you kidding me? to disrespect a player showing the character to make that admission? It's a bad example of lack of sportsmanship all the way around. You guys think you are infallible? Good lord, this is really ugly, you have to be kidding me. Instead of having a nice moment for all, including the crowd, your egos won't allow you to admit the possibility that you might be wrong.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2018, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Or the kid could be wrong.

I might be wrong on my call, but what I see is the only thing I can go on (besides possible information from a partner). Officiating is an human endeavor, open to error, but we can't officiate by taking admissions or by committee. Nothing at all to do with disrespect.

thedewed, didn't you say that you ref'ed D2? Would you change your call in a D2 game?

Last edited by LRZ; Sat Mar 24, 2018 at 06:42pm.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

One could do this: Run to partner and tell him what kid said. Then return and change call giving deflection signal. Now, it appears as if partner gave you information when really it was the kid. Problem solved....sorta.

Slippery slope - indeed a dangerous term. How many of us have made/changed a call based on info from a player? Happens a lot and this isn't different. In D2 national championship near end of game, FT lane defender points to shooter's foot on line. Ref see him point, moves in closer, angles down, and calls violation after release. Or..player A1, stops his attack/dribble and says player B2 is hurt. Don't you go looking for B2 b/c player A1 gave you information? Or.. player A1 says to you that Team B has 7 players on the court. Don't you start counting Team B players? Or..A1 vehemently tells you that the foul was on A2, not A3 as you reported. Aren't you going to at least question yourself and get the correct player? Or.. how about B2 (#12) telling you that he fouled A1, not the reported B3 (#21), who wasn't even near the play? If you are the reporting official, aren't you going to correct it based on info from the player? Maybe not exactly the same case as the OP but, the slippery slope was mentioned.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 05:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

"Hey mister referee, to be honest sir, the foul was on me (the worst player on my team on the court) not on my teammate (the best player on my team on the court, who, by the way, has four fouls)."

Anybody remember when players had to raise a hand when they were charged with a foul? The NFHS stopped that requirement in 1974.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 25, 2018 at 05:17am.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
anybody in this thread that wouldn't change the call in that circumstance shouldn't be officiating, are you kidding me? to disrespect a player showing the character to make that admission? It's a bad example of lack of sportsmanship all the way around. You guys think you are infallible? Good lord, this is really ugly, you have to be kidding me. Instead of having a nice moment for all, including the crowd, your egos won't allow you to admit the possibility that you might be wrong.
This is misguided. Your whole premise is flawed, by assuming that the player is 100% correct. This is not about the egos of officials, or not recognizing good character in a player. It's about the correct way to adjuticate a play.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 07:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
Nobody wants to hear your Fanboy nonsense. How about you throw on some stripes and you do it that way?

This isn't a site for you to run off on the mouth about what you think officiating should be. Do it yourself or keep your thoughts to yourself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk