The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

This topic 'Delay of Game', has been discussed here before. The following is from a article from Referee magazine. " When the scoring team touches the ball after it goes through the basket, officials should end the practice immediately. For those old enough to remember the NCAA men’s final in 1985, the reason is clear. During the game, Georgetown players had been tapping the ball gently toward the Villanova thrower-in after a score. A friendly gesture? Think again. That speeded up play a bit, which was to Georgetown’s liking. However, the real consequence of allowing that practice happened at the end of the game. With five seconds left, the Hoyas scored to cut their deficit to two points. They had no timeouts left, and a Georgetown player slapped the ball away from Villanova. The official blew the whistle to stop the clock. (That was before the rules required the game clock to be stopped after scores in the last minute.) The officials warned Georgetown to leave the ball alone, but that forced Villanova to make a hotly contested throw-in with five seconds left rather than just let the clock run out. It managed the throw-in. But in an interview much later, one of the officials admitted they had been very lucky. By permitting Georgetown to “help” Villanova get the ball after a made basket, it set the stage for the slap of the ball at the end of the game and prompted the reflex whistle when it occurred. The official vowed never again to let even a friendly touch occur in any game he officiates. That is the right plan for all of us. Get the warning done early to prevent any temptations at a critical time and the need for a technical foul.
The article Written by Bill Kenney, Florham Park, N.J., who was (may still be) the rules interpreter and clinician for IAABO Board 168 and served on the IAABO Rules Exam Committee. He had refereed high school basketball for 40 years and college games for 25 at the time of the published article. The article is at least 12 years old. An also mentioned in the article, rules have changed since the Villanova/Georgetown game
So this Div 1 official has vowed to call a delay, even if is friendly.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

If the team that just scored taps or gives the ball to the nearest opponent I'm not seeing how that delays the game. It's not the same as throwing the ball to an official.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Tapping the ball to an opponent and tapping the ball away are too radically different acts. With all due respect to Mr. Kenney, there are other ways to deal with this, eg, by letting the clock continue to run (in HS or NCAA back then).

See forum.officiating.com/basketball/103300-warning-delay.html
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Say Never, Never Say Always ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
It definitely gets a "leave the ball alone" from me the first time, but it's situational. I wouldn't carte blanche say, anytime a team that just scores touches the ball it's a DOG.
Agree it's situational (need some context), and if needed the first step should be, again, if needed, "leave the ball alone".

How about tapping the ball to prevent the ball from hitting one on the head? Or tapping the ball with one's foot as one trips over the ball? How about wrong place, wrong time, and one carelessly catches the ball? Can one legally do anything except place the ball on the floor? Like tap it to an opponent, or to an official, or just tap it barely out of bounds directly under the basket? All of these only done one time? Or maybe twice in the entire game?

Not every touch by a player on the team that scored is a delay of game. It's never automatic. Every situation should be handled differently.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 19, 2018 at 04:29pm.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2018, 10:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Peace
Old Sat Mar 24, 2018, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Players were right there to inbound. Delay tactic. Call the DOG.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

I just found it strange that the call came from C, who was miles away.

BTW, isn't it a team warning for delay? In this game as well as another I saw, the PA announcer indicated it was on a specific player. In the other game, the ref was overheard telling the table the number of the player. Are DOG warnings noted to be on specific players?
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 07:12am
Courageous When Prudent

The number is supposed to be indicated when giving this kind of warning for a delay.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Sometimes officials may not have the fortitude to make such a call, who knows. Or maybe they weren't aware that a player may have been warned. Such infractions can be called by any official (usually the new T or C can make this).

There is an esteemed admin on this board who was part of such a situation and a 5 second call .
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Sometimes officials may not have the fortitude to make such a call, who knows. Or maybe they weren't aware that a player may have been warned. Such infractions can be called by any official (usually the new T or C can make this).

There is an esteemed admin on this board who was part of such a situation and a 5 second call .
A delay of game situation is very different than a 5-second call where only one official is doing the counting. I have no issues with the C calling this when the C had the shooter who then went to rebound the ball and then took the ball away from the opponent and gave it to the official. It is possible that the L or new T did not see such action directly.

About a year or two ago, I called a T on a player that knocked the ball out of the hand of a thrower, after that player scored a basket and came around the thrower and hit the player and the ball. I ended up calling a T on the player from the C. If I did not do so, there would have likely been a clear turnover and my partner got screened and I saw the contact directly. It was not normally a call a C would make, but it was a saver of the situation. Sometimes these plays are no different than the ones we have directly on the court. It is about angles and positioning of what took place.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the tongue sticking out smiley was clear indication that line was satire. For all but 1 of us (although my now it may be universal).
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 12:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Three B's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... it was a saver of the situation.
Good partner. Good save. Sometimes (at least in my high school games) it's appropriate to rule outside of your primary coverage area.

Be late. Be right. Be needed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 25, 2018 at 01:03pm.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The number is supposed to be indicated when giving this kind of warning for a delay.
I can't find where that is documented. Do you have a rule to cite or manual reference?
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 02:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

BTW, isn't it a team warning for delay? In this game as well as another I saw, the PA announcer indicated it was on a specific player. In the other game, the ref was overheard telling the table the number of the player. Are DOG warnings noted to be on specific players?
Are we sure the call was from Slot or was it just Slot who reported it to the table to speed up the game.