The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
The ''observing official" is highly reluctant to even think of questioning the workflow decisions of the "on-court officials"; however, notwithstanding this fault, the ruse likely tricked the observer also.
Not saying you are wrong but I would think almost the exact opposite. During the pre-game, I would tell the alternate ref to watch us (3 officiating) very closely and help us avoid any mistakes. I would instruct him that he was part of the crew, needs to pay close attention to every play, and help whenever it is needed or he feels it necessary. Probably overkill but that is what I would instruct if I was the R. Perhaps they are reluctant but man, I would be angry if an alternate at the table withheld any info from me. Perhaps their duties are non-existent unless an official goes down. I do not know exactly but still, I would think if you got some intel to share, better share it.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
The ''observing official" is highly reluctant to even think of questioning the workflow decisions of the "on-court officials"; however, notwithstanding this fault, the ruse likely tricked the observer also.
What ruse? The calling official indicated the wrong shooter. He looked away and then realized he didn't have the shooter. When he looked back, he picked the wrong one. Auburn didn't send the wrong guy to the line.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What ruse? The calling official indicated the wrong shooter. He looked away and then realized he didn't have the shooter. When he looked back, he picked the wrong one. Auburn didn't send the wrong guy to the line.
One of the articles listed mentions that the rebounder quickly tossed the ball to his teammate after the whistle and when the official looked back after reporting the player holding the ball was identified as the shooter.
Auburn has not denied any gamesmanship in this situation.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
One of the articles listed mentions that the rebounder quickly tossed the ball to his teammate after the whistle and when the official looked back after reporting the player holding the ball was identified as the shooter.
Auburn has not denied any gamesmanship in this situation.
OK, but how many times do players drop or toss the ball away after the whistle? You've got to get a lot more than that to claim it was a ruse planned by Auburn. In all likelihood, that rebounder would have passed the ball to that player even if there hadn't been a foul since frontcourt players typically get the ball to a guard to take it down the court.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 22, 2018 at 05:03pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Not saying you are wrong but I would think almost the exact opposite. During the pre-game, I would tell the alternate ref to watch us (3 officiating) very closely and help us avoid any mistakes. I would instruct him that he was part of the crew, needs to pay close attention to every play, and help whenever it is needed or he feels it necessary. Probably overkill but that is what I would instruct if I was the R. Perhaps they are reluctant but man, I would be angry if an alternate at the table withheld any info from me. Perhaps their duties are non-existent unless an official goes down. I do not know exactly but still, I would think if you got some intel to share, better share it.
From what I've been told, none of the crew (including the Alternate) moved on to this weekend.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised that no one on the crew knew the relevant rules. Do NCAA or the conferences not conduct online rules tests as a requirement to officiate college basketball? I would be surprised if the NCAA tests do not ask questions about funky situations like this.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 08:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I'm surprised that no one on the crew knew the relevant rules. Do NCAA or the conferences not conduct online rules tests as a requirement to officiate college basketball? I would be surprised if the NCAA tests do not ask questions about funky situations like this.
Did not know which rule?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Did not know which rule?
Raymond, the OP referred to a situation where the ball remained stuck in the basket (it went in the ring, but failed to pass through the net) but the officials chose not to count the basket. By rule, they should have, and this is what created the whole controversy.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Raymond, the OP referred to a situation where the ball remained stuck in the basket (it went in the ring, but failed to pass through the net) but the officials chose not to count the basket. By rule, they should have, and this is what created the whole controversy.
Oh, ok. I should have went back to the beginning of the thread.

And no, that question was not, and as far as I can remember, ever been on the preseason NCAA-Men's test.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Mar 23, 2018 at 11:25am.