The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Three officials who aren't advancing (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103683-three-officials-who-arent-advancing.html)

bucky Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019456)
The ''observing official" is highly reluctant to even think of questioning the workflow decisions of the "on-court officials"; however, notwithstanding this fault, the ruse likely tricked the observer also.

Not saying you are wrong but I would think almost the exact opposite. During the pre-game, I would tell the alternate ref to watch us (3 officiating) very closely and help us avoid any mistakes. I would instruct him that he was part of the crew, needs to pay close attention to every play, and help whenever it is needed or he feels it necessary. Probably overkill but that is what I would instruct if I was the R. Perhaps they are reluctant but man, I would be angry if an alternate at the table withheld any info from me. Perhaps their duties are non-existent unless an official goes down. I do not know exactly but still, I would think if you got some intel to share, better share it.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 21, 2018 02:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019456)
The ''observing official" is highly reluctant to even think of questioning the workflow decisions of the "on-court officials"; however, notwithstanding this fault, the ruse likely tricked the observer also.

What ruse? The calling official indicated the wrong shooter. He looked away and then realized he didn't have the shooter. When he looked back, he picked the wrong one. Auburn didn't send the wrong guy to the line.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 21, 2018 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019460)
What ruse? The calling official indicated the wrong shooter. He looked away and then realized he didn't have the shooter. When he looked back, he picked the wrong one. Auburn didn't send the wrong guy to the line.

One of the articles listed mentions that the rebounder quickly tossed the ball to his teammate after the whistle and when the official looked back after reporting the player holding the ball was identified as the shooter.
Auburn has not denied any gamesmanship in this situation.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 21, 2018 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1019500)
One of the articles listed mentions that the rebounder quickly tossed the ball to his teammate after the whistle and when the official looked back after reporting the player holding the ball was identified as the shooter.
Auburn has not denied any gamesmanship in this situation.

OK, but how many times do players drop or toss the ball away after the whistle? You've got to get a lot more than that to claim it was a ruse planned by Auburn. In all likelihood, that rebounder would have passed the ball to that player even if there hadn't been a foul since frontcourt players typically get the ball to a guard to take it down the court.

dahoopref Thu Mar 22, 2018 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019457)
Not saying you are wrong but I would think almost the exact opposite. During the pre-game, I would tell the alternate ref to watch us (3 officiating) very closely and help us avoid any mistakes. I would instruct him that he was part of the crew, needs to pay close attention to every play, and help whenever it is needed or he feels it necessary. Probably overkill but that is what I would instruct if I was the R. Perhaps they are reluctant but man, I would be angry if an alternate at the table withheld any info from me. Perhaps their duties are non-existent unless an official goes down. I do not know exactly but still, I would think if you got some intel to share, better share it.

From what I've been told, none of the crew (including the Alternate) moved on to this weekend.

ilyazhito Fri Mar 23, 2018 02:26am

I'm surprised that no one on the crew knew the relevant rules. Do NCAA or the conferences not conduct online rules tests as a requirement to officiate college basketball? I would be surprised if the NCAA tests do not ask questions about funky situations like this.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2018 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1019575)
I'm surprised that no one on the crew knew the relevant rules. Do NCAA or the conferences not conduct online rules tests as a requirement to officiate college basketball? I would be surprised if the NCAA tests do not ask questions about funky situations like this.

Did not know which rule?

ilyazhito Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019581)
Did not know which rule?

Raymond, the OP referred to a situation where the ball remained stuck in the basket (it went in the ring, but failed to pass through the net) but the officials chose not to count the basket. By rule, they should have, and this is what created the whole controversy.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1019590)
Raymond, the OP referred to a situation where the ball remained stuck in the basket (it went in the ring, but failed to pass through the net) but the officials chose not to count the basket. By rule, they should have, and this is what created the whole controversy.

Oh, ok. I should have went back to the beginning of the thread.

And no, that question was not, and as far as I can remember, ever been on the preseason NCAA-Men's test.