The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Three officials who aren't advancing (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103683-three-officials-who-arent-advancing.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 17, 2018 05:00am

Three officials who aren't advancing

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/refs-bo...222356055.html

I understand that many officials are not "rules guys," but how can there not be at least one person on an NCAAW tournament game who knows this basic rule--the definition of a goal?

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 17, 2018 05:40am

Had a high level AAU game once where this happened. For some reason I got this crossed up with the rare occurrence where the ball seems to be all the way through but then inexplicably somehow rattles back up and out.

But I wasn’t sure. My partner was counting it, so I halt play for a quick conference. Right when we got to each other, the “remains in or passes through” verbiage entered my head. The conference took two seconds. I realized my first instinct was incorrect, and we counted the goal and moved on.

That was two of us in an AAU game. But three in an NCAA tournament game? Yeah, no excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucky Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:35am

I'm amazed it got stuck....for the apparent first time. The women's ball is smaller than men's. Was the net installed during the dead ball that preceded this play? Or was it fine for all warm-ups and the game played up until that point? Better check one of the players for stick-um or a foreign substance, lol. Amazing that it got stuck. On a side note, what is the status of the ball? Live? Dead? Ref blew whistle during shot. What if there was a foul, say a Tech, while the ball was stuck? Is that a dead ball T or a live ball T?:confused:

TopicalTropical Sat Mar 17, 2018 01:41pm

I'm totally flabbergasted about this. Even more so than the West Virginia .3 'buzzer beater'. But at the same time I assume all the refs for both games were experienced officials and thought it would not have happened to them in making glaring mistakes. Maybe it is somehow a psychology thing as I would assume they knew the rules before, at least most of them should have. Weird how these things happen and I guess you can't really say it won't happen to you.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 17, 2018 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019080)
I'm amazed it got stuck....for the apparent first time. The women's ball is smaller than men's. Was the net installed during the dead ball that preceded this play? Or was it fine for all warm-ups and the game played up until that point? Better check one of the players for stick-um or a foreign substance, lol. Amazing that it got stuck. On a side note, what is the status of the ball? Live? Dead? Ref blew whistle during shot. What if there was a foul, say a Tech, while the ball was stuck? Is that a dead ball T or a live ball T?:confused:

1. The whistle was for a foul by a defender against the shooter.
2. What is the status of the ball after any made goal?
Save

bucky Sat Mar 17, 2018 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1019089)
1. The whistle was for a foul by a defender against the shooter.
2. What is the status of the ball after any made goal?
Save

1. Yea, I know, as indicated.

2. When was the goal made?

bob jenkins Sat Mar 17, 2018 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019080)
Is that a dead ball T or a live ball T?:confused:

Does it make a difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019092)
1. Yea, I know, as indicated.

2. When was the goal made?

When the conditions were met.

(Similar to a violation happening "at the same time" as a foul, the officials must decide which happened first.)

bucky Sat Mar 17, 2018 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1019096)
Does it make a difference?

When the conditions were met.

(Similar to a violation happening "at the same time" as a foul, the officials must decide which happened first.)

Yes, it does. When were the conditions met?

With all due respect Bob, don't be like that. Don't be like so many others that do not provide actual answers.

side note: I wonder how officials would have reacted if there was no whistle for the foul. I also wonder what the clock operator would have done if there was less than a minute in the game and there was no whistle. (presuming, like NCAAM, clock stops under a min for NCCAW)

dahoopref Sat Mar 17, 2018 06:55pm

Another 3 Who Should Not Move On

Doug Shows, Kelly Self, and Dwayne Gladden was the crew.
March Madness 2018: Auburn put wrong player on free-throw line to seal win vs. Charleston | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

Quote:

Had any of the officials been aware of this, or had anyone alerted the officiating crew to the fact that the wrong player was at the foul line, the officials would have been able to review the play and determine [Okeke] should have been the shooter,” NCAA coordinator of officiating J.D. Collins said in a statement.

Raymond Sat Mar 17, 2018 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019101)
Yes, it does. When were the conditions met?

With all due respect Bob, don't be like that. Don't be like so many others that do not provide actual answers.

side note: I wonder how officials would have reacted if there was no whistle for the foul. I also wonder what the clock operator would have done if there was less than a minute in the game and there was no whistle. (presuming, like NCAAM, clock stops under a min for NCCAW)

If there was a technical foul called why would it matter if the ball was dead or live?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Sat Mar 17, 2018 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019101)
Y

I gave an actual answer -- and, the correct one.

And, it should be "who." Another actual answer.

bucky Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1019113)
I gave an actual answer -- and, the correct one.

And, it should be "who." Another actual answer.

Thanks for the grammar correction. I do appreciate that although when you indicated "Does it make a difference?", I consider that to be a question, not an answer. Perhaps you were thinking that your question was providing an answer but if we are sticking to strict grammar rules.. suddenly, then it did not. Furthermore, "When the conditions were met" is not even a complete sentence and does not answer the question but rather repeats it in a different form.

Coach: Why was my player given a technical foul?
You: The conditions were met

I am not confident that you would answer that way.

The bigger picture is exactly what you described by saying "When the conditions are met." Give rule book citations that apply to when the ball is stuck in the net as to its status and those conditions please.

bob jenkins Sun Mar 18, 2018 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019132)
Thanks for the grammar correction. I do appreciate that although when you indicated "Does it make a difference?", I consider that to be a question, not an answer. Perhaps you were thinking that your question was providing an answer but if we are sticking to strict grammar rules.. suddenly, then it did not. Furthermore, "When the conditions were met" is not even a complete sentence and does not answer the question but rather repeats it in a different form.

Coach: Why was my player given a technical foul?
You: The conditions were met

I am not confident that you would answer that way.

The bigger picture is exactly what you described by saying "When the conditions are met." Give rule book citations that apply to when the ball is stuck in the net as to its status and those conditions please.

okay --

Yes, it would have been a dead ball T or a live ball T. ;) I am still not sure it makes a difference to any subsequent administration -- that's why I asked a serious question.

And, the parenthetical part of my initial response is (or implies to any intelligent reader) the answer to your second question -- the ball becomes dead when the official decides the ball is stuck in the net.

LRZ Sun Mar 18, 2018 08:21am

Bucky, I think bob is trying to teach you to fish.

asdf Sun Mar 18, 2018 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1019153)
Bucky, I think bob is trying to teach you to fish.

You can lead a horse to water...........

BillyMac Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:30am

Just As The Mother Lion Protects Her Cubs ...

... you can protect your children with an insurance policy from Mutual of Omaha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1019153)
... fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 1019155)
... horse ...

When did the Forum become Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? Will Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler start posting from that big jungle in the sky?

Blindolbat Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1019103)

Would this also be a technical foul in NCAA-M?
If nothing else this just goes to show that stuff like this can happen to the best of us.
Saw teams try this a few times this year in HS. One team got away with it. Luckily I was not on that crew but just observing. I had a team try this on me early in the season but I caught them before anyone lined up for shots and made sure to let everyone know who the correct shooter should be.

Multiple Sports Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43am

Don't give a T...

Yes..... by rule it could be a T, but you would be chastised for not managing that situation. Had a game where the wrong kid went to the line and he knew it. Walked up to him and said ( with a smile ), " I know you don't belong here and you know it as well. Now Im going to back away away and bounce the ball, if you catch the ball, Im going to T you up Now walk away and get the right person at the line." He smiled and walked away...he was now my de facto captain the rest of the year whenever a player on his team got mouthy...

BillyMac Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48am

Michael Jordon In My Game ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1019174)
Saw teams try this a few times this year in HS. I had a team try this on me early in the season but I caught them before anyone lined up for shots and made sure to let everyone know who the correct shooter should be.

It's common practice here in my little corner of Connecticut for officials to tell each other, "Twenty-three shoots", before granting a timeout before a free throw situation.

In every free throw situation, it's the responsibility of the noncalling official to remember the shooter. If not obvious, it's the responsibility of the calling official to identify the shooter, by pointing, or verbally, "Twenty-three shoots", or both.

Wasn't it Confucius who said, "When the ball is dead, we must be alive."?

asdf Sun Mar 18, 2018 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019168)

When did the Forum become Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?

Shortly after it became open mic night for some......

BillyMac Sun Mar 18, 2018 02:42pm

Touché ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 1019183)
Shortly after it became open mic night for some......

Well played asdf.

Not too shabby for a Forum member with only 746 posts.

Some day, you too, will become an Esteemed Forum Member, and it will probably happen sooner rather than later.

Again, well played grasshopper.

AremRed Sun Mar 18, 2018 09:18pm

Doug Shows did advance to the round of 32, currently refereeing the West Virginia-Marshall game. We will see if he goes further.

SC Official Sun Mar 18, 2018 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1019211)
Doug Shows did advance to the round of 32, currently refereeing the West Virginia-Marshall game. We will see if he goes further.

I’m pretty sure Round of 32 games are assigned before the first round.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2018 09:58pm

Which official called the foul?

It would be hard to hold the other two responsible if they were off ball and the calling official says #99 is my shooter.

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1019213)
I’m pretty sure Round of 32 games are assigned before the first round.

We have this discussion every year. I think you’re right, but within the pool of officials that JD assigns to a specific opening weekend site (12), I believe he has the discretion to unassign a second round official for cause if he sees fit.

AremRed Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019230)
We have this discussion every year. I think you’re right, but within the pool of officials that JD assigns to a specific opening weekend site (12), I believe he has the discretion to unassign a second round official for cause if he sees fit.

Yup. Officials are always assigned to a site and officials that work round of 32 come from the 12 guys that worked the round of 64 there. I'm sure JD takes his top 48 guys and divides them up by site and then fills in the other 48. So he knows who he wants working the round of 32 beforehand, but of course he would be able to pulls Shows if he felt the error was his. Maybe JD didn't think Shows was culpable for the error or maybe didn't care. I think JD cares so I would wager Shows was found not guilty.

asdf Tue Mar 20, 2018 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019185)
Well played asdf.

Not too shabby for a Forum member with only 746 posts.

Some day, you too, will become an Esteemed Forum Member, and it will probably happen sooner rather than later.

Again, well played grasshopper.

I've been following this forum since it's inception. One doesn't need 15,000 posts to understand who posts silliness and who posts reliable information on here.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 20, 2018 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 1019449)
I've been following this forum since it's inception. One doesn't need 15,000 posts to understand who posts silliness and who posts reliable information on here.

True, but having more than 28 posts since January helps.

Chuga Tue Mar 20, 2018 09:02pm

Doug Shows, Kelly Self, and Dwayne Gladden was the crew.
March Madness 2018: Auburn put wrong player on free-throw line to seal win vs. Charleston | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News[/QUOTE]

The observing official could have also alerted the 3 on court officials that the wrong player was on the line.

Kansas Ref Tue Mar 20, 2018 09:43pm

The ''observing official" is highly reluctant to even think of questioning the workflow decisions of the "on-court officials"; however, notwithstanding this fault, the ruse likely tricked the observer also.

bucky Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019456)
The ''observing official" is highly reluctant to even think of questioning the workflow decisions of the "on-court officials"; however, notwithstanding this fault, the ruse likely tricked the observer also.

Not saying you are wrong but I would think almost the exact opposite. During the pre-game, I would tell the alternate ref to watch us (3 officiating) very closely and help us avoid any mistakes. I would instruct him that he was part of the crew, needs to pay close attention to every play, and help whenever it is needed or he feels it necessary. Probably overkill but that is what I would instruct if I was the R. Perhaps they are reluctant but man, I would be angry if an alternate at the table withheld any info from me. Perhaps their duties are non-existent unless an official goes down. I do not know exactly but still, I would think if you got some intel to share, better share it.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 21, 2018 02:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1019456)

What ruse? The calling official indicated the wrong shooter. He looked away and then realized he didn't have the shooter. When he looked back, he picked the wrong one. Auburn didn't send the wrong guy to the line.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 21, 2018 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019460)
What ruse? The calling official indicated the wrong shooter. He looked away and then realized he didn't have the shooter. When he looked back, he picked the wrong one. Auburn didn't send the wrong guy to the line.

One of the articles listed mentions that the rebounder quickly tossed the ball to his teammate after the whistle and when the official looked back after reporting the player holding the ball was identified as the shooter.
Auburn has not denied any gamesmanship in this situation.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 21, 2018 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1019500)
One of the articles listed mentions that the rebounder quickly tossed the ball to his teammate after the whistle and when the official looked back after reporting the player holding the ball was identified as the shooter.
Auburn has not denied any gamesmanship in this situation.

OK, but how many times do players drop or toss the ball away after the whistle? You've got to get a lot more than that to claim it was a ruse planned by Auburn. In all likelihood, that rebounder would have passed the ball to that player even if there hadn't been a foul since frontcourt players typically get the ball to a guard to take it down the court.

dahoopref Thu Mar 22, 2018 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019457)
Not saying you are wrong but I would think almost the exact opposite. During the pre-game, I would tell the alternate ref to watch us (3 officiating) very closely and help us avoid any mistakes. I would instruct him that he was part of the crew, needs to pay close attention to every play, and help whenever it is needed or he feels it necessary. Probably overkill but that is what I would instruct if I was the R. Perhaps they are reluctant but man, I would be angry if an alternate at the table withheld any info from me. Perhaps their duties are non-existent unless an official goes down. I do not know exactly but still, I would think if you got some intel to share, better share it.

From what I've been told, none of the crew (including the Alternate) moved on to this weekend.

ilyazhito Fri Mar 23, 2018 02:26am

I'm surprised that no one on the crew knew the relevant rules. Do NCAA or the conferences not conduct online rules tests as a requirement to officiate college basketball? I would be surprised if the NCAA tests do not ask questions about funky situations like this.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2018 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1019575)
I'm surprised that no one on the crew knew the relevant rules. Do NCAA or the conferences not conduct online rules tests as a requirement to officiate college basketball? I would be surprised if the NCAA tests do not ask questions about funky situations like this.

Did not know which rule?

ilyazhito Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019581)
Did not know which rule?

Raymond, the OP referred to a situation where the ball remained stuck in the basket (it went in the ring, but failed to pass through the net) but the officials chose not to count the basket. By rule, they should have, and this is what created the whole controversy.

Raymond Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1019590)
Raymond, the OP referred to a situation where the ball remained stuck in the basket (it went in the ring, but failed to pass through the net) but the officials chose not to count the basket. By rule, they should have, and this is what created the whole controversy.

Oh, ok. I should have went back to the beginning of the thread.

And no, that question was not, and as far as I can remember, ever been on the preseason NCAA-Men's test.