The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 07:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Definitely nothing. Looks like this ref just wanted to GTFO.

Not sure how you can have a block here.

Eh, the defender leans into the airborne shooter. Likely not enough for me to put a whistle on it, but if anything, this is a block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Definitely nothing. Looks like this ref just wanted to GTFO.

Not sure how you can have a block here.
Let's not impugn the motives of an official based on a questionable call.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

LOL at the kid taking a shot at the ref in post game interview. How about you pull up and shoot a bank shot and not force a call?

I would like to think I would no call this.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicguy View Post
let's not impugn the motives of an official based on a questionable call.
+1
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
LOL at the kid taking a shot at the ref in post game interview. How about you pull up and shoot a bank shot and not force a call?

I would like to think I would no call this.
The kid's season just ended, I'm cutting him some slack for that comment. And I'm definitely not going to INSULT the kid for making what most here agree was a legal play.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

yeah people are tired at the end and emotional. If that call was made in the first half no one really would have cared much. I thought it was a charge at first as the defender got there in time, but upon further review was there enough contact? Doesn't look like it but not the best videos to tell for certain.

My first choice is no call. I would not have called a block.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 12:40pm

I'd like to think I'd no call this. I've been told at a number of camps, "watch how the defender falls." To me, the offensive player doesn't go to and through the defender. The defender does nothing wrong. Is there contact initiated by the offense, yes but it sure looks like he is trying to avoid going into and through the defender. Again, I'd like to think I'd no call this. What we also don't know is if the crew had put whistles on similar plays like that throughout the game. That makes a difference and is information we don't have. That is a tough one.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2018, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
I'd like to think I'd no call this. I've been told at a number of camps, "watch how the defender falls." To me, the offensive player doesn't go to and through the defender. The defender does nothing wrong. Is there contact initiated by the offense, yes but it sure looks like he is trying to avoid going into and through the defender. Again, I'd like to think I'd no call this. What we also don't know is if the crew had put whistles on similar plays like that throughout the game. That makes a difference and is information we don't have. That is a tough one.
A good philosophy in most cases, but not all cases. Slip play: Defender standing legally in a space for 10 seconds, offensive player tries to side step him, contact is shoulder to shoulder. Players' bodies go opposite directions. Can't be a defensive foul.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2018, 07:25am

Totally agree. I have called many a PC foul where the contact by the offensive player is on the shoulder area and not center mass. Makes me crazy when coaches, fans, players, and sadly, some officials say he/she has to take the hit in the chest in order to draw a PC foul. In this particular play, as I wrote, I'd like to believe I would no call it.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2018, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Correct call. The offensive player made contact with the torso of a defender in legal guarding position. This may not look good, but it is a correct call for a player control foul.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I see two potential issues on this play. First, before he gets to the secondary defender it appears (from the baseline video), that the primary defender puts his knee into the offensive player as he goes by. Should this have been called a block, before the block/charge/ no call issue ever came up.

As for the call. I would likely have gone no call on this play given that the defender does appear to lean a tiny bit sideways at the moment of contact. I certainly don't see enough to indicate that it was a PC foul. I think a case could also be made that when the offensive player left his feet, the defender was still attaining LGP, but again it is so close, at that point of the game, I would be keeping the whistle silent. I don't see a clear cut foul in that situations of the game. Depending on how the game was going earlier, maybe I have something earlier, but I certainly don't see enough on the final play to make a call there.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2019, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Why are you reviving a year-old thread?
Old Mon Apr 08, 2019, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

I posted on a thread that was with the other threads on my screen. I did not even look at the date of the thread.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2019, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

great example of how a block/charge collision can be a no call under the rules. If the player is there waiting, but the driver gets by with minimal contact, a no call much of the time is right. that's what I'd have there,