The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Screening (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103618-screening.html)

scrounge Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:01pm

Defensive foul. Screener didn't turn his shoulder into the defender or initiate contact in any way, simply turned to brace for the train heading his way.

bucky Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018296)
What about a player attempting to block a shot such that the shooter has to adjust to get around it. If not for that, the defender may have very well hit the shooter's arm. Are we calling something on that because the shooter had to adjust and, in the process of doing so, avoiding creating a foul on the defender and missed the shot?

That is a move by the defense, not the offense. I am discussing an illegal screen by the offense.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 07, 2018 03:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018315)
That is a move by the defense, not the offense. I am discussing an illegal screen by the offense.

The point remains. If we're going to call what-ifs, where does it stop?

deecee Wed Mar 07, 2018 06:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1018298)
You don't avoid contact by turning into the object that is coming at you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think we watched 2 different videos. The contact was happening no matter what. The offensive player didn't turn into the defender. That defender was making a beeline to the screen, and had no idea the screen was even there.

zm1283 Wed Mar 07, 2018 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1018320)
I think we watched 2 different videos. The contact was happening no matter what. The offensive player didn't turn into the defender. That defender was making a beeline to the screen, and had no idea the screen was even there.

Exactly. The screener knew he was going to get trucked and get the defender's head right in his chin, so he turned his head and shoulders to brace himself. This is not an illegal screen.

#olderthanilook Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe (Post 1018195)
Whatcha got on this? And why??

https://youtu.be/eDBuxgrZ52k

Nothing, becuase it's legal.

bucky Wed Mar 07, 2018 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018319)
The point remains. If we're going to call what-ifs, where does it stop?

Not sure what you mean. It stops when a player does something illegal that negatively impacts another player. Your previous play described something that was legal.

deecee Wed Mar 07, 2018 04:06pm

Just make a call. Do it for the kids. They are all going to get horrible hurt if we don't.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 07, 2018 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018374)
Not sure what you mean. It stops when a player does something illegal that negatively impacts another player. Your previous play described something that was legal.

And a screen that moves or has a stance too wide but doesn't cause contact is also legal.

bucky Thu Mar 08, 2018 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018394)
And a screen that moves or has a stance too wide but doesn't cause contact is also legal.

Um, no kidding, that is what could use a change. Originally indicated in my post some time ago.

Big_Blue_Wannabe Thu Mar 08, 2018 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1018385)
Just make a call. Do it for the kids. They are all going to get horrible hurt if we don't.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Thu Mar 08, 2018 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018448)
Um, no kidding, that is what could use a change. Originally indicated in my post some time ago.

I know. I'm just wondering how far you want to take the idea. Hence, my question about a defender who disrupts the shooters shot without making contact such that it would be a defensive foul if there were contact.

Your idea, at least if I'm understanding it, is to make something illegal that, without contact, influences the ability of an opponent to make a desired play but elected to deviate from a desired path while, if the opponent hadn't avoided contact, there would be a foul.