The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Screening (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103618-screening.html)

Big_Blue_Wannabe Mon Mar 05, 2018 09:40pm

Screening

Whatcha got on this? And why??

https://youtu.be/eDBuxgrZ52k

zm1283 Mon Mar 05, 2018 09:45pm

Nothing.

Screener gave plenty of time and distance. Turned his torso to absorb contact. The rule book even states that on a blind screen the player being screened may not see the screener in time to avoid contact and the collision might be severe but should be ruled incidental.

If you feel like the defensive player saw the screener and displaced him, push on the defense.

johnny d Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31pm

Illegal screen. Turning of the torso may have been to absorb contact, but he turned such that his torso (right shoulder) was moving forward into the defender at the time of the screen.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1018201)
Illegal screen. Turning of the torso may have been to absorb contact, but he turned such that his torso (right shoulder) was moving forward into the defender at the time of the screen.

That is really splitting hairs.

Despite the turn, even if it was just a bit towards the opponent. I see that turn as a movement to protect himself from getting crushed. He even stepped away with the left foot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 1018196)
The rule book even states that on a blind screen the player being screened may not see the screener in time to avoid contact and the collision might be severe but should be ruled incidental.

If you feel like the defensive player saw the screener and displaced him, push on the defense.

This wasn't a blind screen, the defender was running forward right at it. Just because he had is head turned doesn't make it blind. It just means he wasn't looking where he was going. A blind screen is one set outside of the visual field and visual field is defined as behind the screened player.

Push on the defender.

Randa16 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18pm

I am calling him for illegal screen. It’s going to be a nightmare trying to sell that to a coach.

JRutledge Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26pm

Embedding is your friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe (Post 1018195)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eDBuxgrZ52k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am calling a foul on the defender. The screener was just trying to protect himself. Nothing hard to sell, he has a right to prepare for contact. And he did not turn directly into him.

Peace

crosscountry55 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018205)
I am calling him for illegal screen. It’s going to be a nightmare trying to sell that to a coach.

Um. No. Bad rationale.

Nothing by the book, but if you’re in the camp of “gotta call something” (which I probably would be here), it’s a push on the defender. To say he displaced the legal screener is an understatement.

Not hard to sell to the defender’s coach at all. Screener stood there like a tree. He might not be happy but I’m keeping that conversation very short and we’re moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zm1283 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018204)
That is really splitting hairs.

Despite the turn, even if it was just a bit towards the opponent. I see that turn as a movement to protect himself from getting crushed. He even stepped away with the left foot.

This wasn't a blind screen, the defender was running forward right at it. Just because he had is head turned doesn't make it blind. It just means he wasn't looking where he was going. A blind screen is one set outside of the visual field and visual field is defined as behind the screened player.

Push on the defender.

Now that I watch it again, you're right. Push on the defender.

Randa16 Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1018207)
Um. No. Bad rationale.

Nothing by the book, but if you’re in the camp of “gotta call something” (which I probably would be here), it’s a push on the defender. To say he displaced the legal screener is an understatement.

Not hard to sell to the defender’s coach at all. Screener stood there like a tree. He might not be happy but I’m keeping that conversation very short and we’re moving on.

I still believe it was a illegal screen just my take. Not scared to piss off a coach just saying it would be a hard sell.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018205)

Let me understand your "logic". A1 sets a legal Screen, but you are going call a Blocking Foul on A1 because you do not want to deal with the "nightmare" of selling a Charging Foul against B1 to B-HC? :eek:

You do not want to know what I think of that kind of "illogical" thinking. By my standards, I am speechless right now.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 06, 2018 01:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018211)
I still believe it was a illegal screen just my take. Not scared to piss off a coach just saying it would be a hard sell.

By what rule is that an illegal screen?

Randa16 Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1018212)
Let me understand your "logic". A1 sets a legal Screen, but you are going call a Blocking Foul on A1 because you do not want to deal with the "nightmare" of selling a Charging Foul against B1 to B-HC? :eek:

You do not want to know what I think of that kind of "illogical" thinking. By my standards, I am speechless right now.

MTD, Sr.

Look I like this site and most guys here seem nice. I have no problem having a discussion but not going to be treated like I am beneath someone. I clearly stated after that saying I feel it was an illegal screen and have NO PROBLEM explaining that to a coach but it would be a hard sell since the kid moved.

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018216)
Look I like this site and most guys here seem nice. I have no problem having a discussion but not going to be treated like I am beneath someone. I clearly stated after that saying I feel it was an illegal screen and have NO PROBLEM explaining that to a coach but it would be a hard sell since the kid moved.

You never explained why it is an illegal screen.

Randa16 Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1018217)
You never explained why it is an illegal screen.

In my mind the kid moved toward the defender. I have no problem with him going back a little for impact but he goes up. Just my opinion

bob jenkins Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:37am

Push through the screen.

What was the call in the OP?

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018218)
In my mind the kid moved toward the defender. I have no problem with him going back a little for impact but he goes up. Just my opinion

I don't think it's that hard of a sell. The screener turned his shoulder into the defender.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 06, 2018 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018216)

I did not intend to speak down to you but the veterans in the Forum will tell you that I am the 'bulldog' in the Forum with to respect to the Guarding and Screening Rules. In other words I take it very seriously and will take to task any one who plays fast and loose withe two Rules. And the faster and looser one plays with either of the two Rules the more irritated this 'bald old geezer' gets.

MTD, Sr.

Randa16 Tue Mar 06, 2018 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1018222)
I did not intend to speak down to you but the veterans in the Forum will tell you that I am the 'bulldog' in the Forum with to respect to the Guarding and Screening Rules. In other words I take it very seriously and will take to task any one who plays fast and loose withe two Rules. And the faster and looser one plays with either of the two Rules the more irritated this 'bald old geezer' gets.

MTD, Sr.

No worries and not mad. I am here to share but also to learn from the older guys who have more knowledge then me.

deecee Tue Mar 06, 2018 09:15am

Push on the defense.

Also Randa - if every other veteran, after seeing a video, have the same call and you are the only one that see's things different it would be safe to say that your call and/or logic is wrong. I would say this applies to anything in life.

HokiePaul Tue Mar 06, 2018 09:39am

I have let plenty of hard screens go when set legally, but I don't think this is legal. The screener can brace or move back to absorb contact, but they can not turn their shoulder into the defender's chest/neck area.

I will say its close and I think reasonable officials could come away with 3 different calls here (illegal screen, no call, or push by defense) based on how they interpret the screening rules.

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2018 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1018229)
I have let plenty of hard screens go when set legally, but I don't think this is legal. The screener can brace or move back to absorb contact, but they can not turn their shoulder into the defender's chest/neck area.

I will say its close and I think reasonable officials could come away with 3 different calls here (illegal screen, no call, or push by defense) based on how they interpret the screening rules.

And in this case the screener moved towards the defender, he didn't lean away.

RefAHallic Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05am

By rule, the screener may turn or brace for contact, but I'm not sure the screener braces here (even after watching slo mo). IMHO, the screener delivered a blow by turning his shoulder into the defender. So, Illegal screen

UNIgiantslayers Tue Mar 06, 2018 01:43pm

Hard to tell from this angle, but it also looks like the screener's legs might be set pretty wide as well. Food for thought.

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2018 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1018257)
Hard to tell from this angle, but it also looks like the screener's legs might be set pretty wide as well. Food for thought.

Why would that matter if the contact is not with the legs? If the contact is with the torso, I would not care if the legs are wide. The legs only come into play if there is some leg contact. But you got through a player's chest and you were legal otherwise, not sure we should consider that part of the stance.

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Mar 06, 2018 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1018258)
not sure we should consider that part of the stance.

I am sure. We shouldn't.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Mar 06, 2018 03:05pm

I had about 30 seconds to watch between classes and didn’t get a great look. From my one look, I thought maybe there was contact by screeners knee. Upon second viewing, that was incorrect. My apologies for inconveniencing Jenkins with my idiotic quick take.

deecee Tue Mar 06, 2018 06:04pm

there is no rule that says contact with an offensive players shoulder is a foul on the offensive player. all he did was turn to avoid the contact (which was pretty hard IMO). There is no expectation that he stand there and take it like a "man" (or woman).

bucky Tue Mar 06, 2018 06:50pm

On bit of a side note....

Generally speaking, there has to be contact for there to be a foul. Given that concept, I think there should be reform that penalizes illegal things that don't have contact, but affect the defense. This is close to being a good example. If someone sets a screen with their feet wider than deemed by the rules, they should be penalized, specifically if it affects the defense. If there is contact, the call is easy. Now, if the defense runs, because of the wide stance, in an adverse pattern to avoid contact, I think the screener should be penalized. I'm thinking violation. Without contact, we have excessive elbow swinging being a violation. Why not a new one for an illegal screen without contact.

Stupid? Genius? Other acts that might be treated similarly?

Camron Rust Tue Mar 06, 2018 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018293)
On bit of a side note....

Generally speaking, there has to be contact for there to be a foul. Given that concept, I think there should be reform that penalizes illegal things that don't have contact, but affect the defense. This is close to being a good example. If someone sets a screen with their feet wider than deemed by the rules, they should be penalized, specifically if it affects the defense. If there is contact, the call is easy. Now, if the defense runs, because of the wide stance, in an adverse pattern to avoid contact, I think the screener should be penalized. I'm thinking violation. Without contact, we have excessive elbow swinging being a violation. Why not a new one for an illegal screen without contact.

Stupid? Genius? Other acts that might be treated similarly?

What about a player attempting to block a shot such that the shooter has to adjust to get around it. If not for that, the defender may have very well hit the shooter's arm. Are we calling something on that because the shooter had to adjust and, in the process of doing so, avoiding creating a foul on the defender and missed the shot?

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2018 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1018289)
there is no rule that says contact with an offensive players shoulder is a foul on the offensive player. all he did was turn to avoid the contact (which was pretty hard IMO). There is no expectation that he stand there and take it like a "man" (or woman).

You don't avoid contact by turning into the object that is coming at you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

scrounge Tue Mar 06, 2018 08:01pm

Defensive foul. Screener didn't turn his shoulder into the defender or initiate contact in any way, simply turned to brace for the train heading his way.

bucky Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018296)
What about a player attempting to block a shot such that the shooter has to adjust to get around it. If not for that, the defender may have very well hit the shooter's arm. Are we calling something on that because the shooter had to adjust and, in the process of doing so, avoiding creating a foul on the defender and missed the shot?

That is a move by the defense, not the offense. I am discussing an illegal screen by the offense.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 07, 2018 03:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018315)
That is a move by the defense, not the offense. I am discussing an illegal screen by the offense.

The point remains. If we're going to call what-ifs, where does it stop?

deecee Wed Mar 07, 2018 06:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1018298)
You don't avoid contact by turning into the object that is coming at you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think we watched 2 different videos. The contact was happening no matter what. The offensive player didn't turn into the defender. That defender was making a beeline to the screen, and had no idea the screen was even there.

zm1283 Wed Mar 07, 2018 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1018320)
I think we watched 2 different videos. The contact was happening no matter what. The offensive player didn't turn into the defender. That defender was making a beeline to the screen, and had no idea the screen was even there.

Exactly. The screener knew he was going to get trucked and get the defender's head right in his chin, so he turned his head and shoulders to brace himself. This is not an illegal screen.

#olderthanilook Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe (Post 1018195)

https://youtu.be/eDBuxgrZ52k

Nothing, becuase it's legal.

bucky Wed Mar 07, 2018 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018319)
The point remains. If we're going to call what-ifs, where does it stop?

Not sure what you mean. It stops when a player does something illegal that negatively impacts another player. Your previous play described something that was legal.

deecee Wed Mar 07, 2018 04:06pm

Just make a call. Do it for the kids. They are all going to get horrible hurt if we don't.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 07, 2018 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018374)
Not sure what you mean. It stops when a player does something illegal that negatively impacts another player. Your previous play described something that was legal.

And a screen that moves or has a stance too wide but doesn't cause contact is also legal.

bucky Thu Mar 08, 2018 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018394)
And a screen that moves or has a stance too wide but doesn't cause contact is also legal.

Um, no kidding, that is what could use a change. Originally indicated in my post some time ago.

Big_Blue_Wannabe Thu Mar 08, 2018 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1018385)
Just make a call. Do it for the kids. They are all going to get horrible hurt if we don't.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Camron Rust Thu Mar 08, 2018 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018448)
Um, no kidding, that is what could use a change. Originally indicated in my post some time ago.

I know. I'm just wondering how far you want to take the idea. Hence, my question about a defender who disrupts the shooters shot without making contact such that it would be a defensive foul if there were contact.

Your idea, at least if I'm understanding it, is to make something illegal that, without contact, influences the ability of an opponent to make a desired play but elected to deviate from a desired path while, if the opponent hadn't avoided contact, there would be a foul.