The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request - WVU @ Kansas

4:59 remaining in the second half. Azubuike “pushed” to the ground by WVU player.

4:34 remaining in the second half. Should there have been basket interference called on this play??

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

lane violation

Rut, could you also let the play run to show the FTs after the foul? I'm curious about the repeated lane violations by Ozubke (sp?). Do the DI assignors expect "marginal" lane violations by the shooter to be ignored, even repeated violations?
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 09:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
4:59 remaining in the second half. Azubuike “pushed” to the ground by WVU player.

4:34 remaining in the second half. Should there have been basket interference called on this play??

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full disclosure: My mother graduated from KU in 1942 and I was born in Kansas and have been a diehard KU fan all of my life.

4:59 of 2nd Half: In my humble opinion G1 should have been called for a CF about two Hand Checks earlier.

4:34 of 2nd Half: Yes, that was Offensive Basket Interference.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 01:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
Rut, could you also let the play run to show the FTs after the foul? I'm curious about the repeated lane violations by Ozubke (sp?).

Quote:
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

1) Foul

2) Do not call the violation

3) Block

4) BI -- shoot two FTs
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I thought the straight arm to Udoka was a foul, they didn't get, then a few seconds later when Udoka flopped, that wasn't a foul, and that is about the first time I've ever seen a KU player flop.

Late a WV player tried to flop and draw a charge on Udoka and the refs rightfully ignored, but the point is that he WV players know that refs have been gullible to this and pushed it.

I thought Lightfoot took a charge, he got there just in time, both feet out of the arc, and the contact from the driver pushed the left foot back inside the RA, that doesn't count. Nice bang/bang charge, close but he's there.

That offensive BI shouldn't ever be called even if technically could have been.

That's kinda like calling a technical for face guarding, as the rule book at one time indicated, and probably still does. Has anyone ever called it?

A couple drives by WV where there was slight contact in the first half but weren't called, could have been, but other than that, the ft discrepancy was WV living on jump shots, and WV trying to take KU's 3's out of it, so KU driving more often. Several plays where WV in their pressure could have been called for fouls, that Bilas pointed out.

I would be interested in seeing the last play where Huggins went nuts. WV driver took the ball into Udoka, creating the contact. Udoka tried to jump straight up but jumped at a little bit of an angle. That was the most interesting call/non-call of the night, and set Huggins off. My rule of thumb was always if a small brought it to a big, big, and always gather and take step and jump up, and if got ball up top you'd have to see him really come through the shooter in the follow through. Players should be able to go vertical. Not sure Udoka did a good enough job in this instance of squaring up and going vertical, but the angle I saw of it wasn't great. That would be a good video to see.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I think it's a good block call, and I don't have BI here because it's clear and obvious to me that the shot is pretty much down anyway. You could argue the player was grabbing the rim to protect himself.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2) Do not call the violation
Why? It was obvious, especially the second one.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefRich View Post
Why? It was obvious, especially the second one.
I only recall one in the video, and I'm not going back to look.

But, I disagree with the assertion that some have made "there's never an advantage / disadvantage criteria on violations" -- and this is one example.

Heck, others have made that claim on the BI play -- "the ball was almost all the way through, so don't call the BI"
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage/Disadvantage ...

Quote:
I disagree with the assertion that some have made "there's never an advantage / disadvantage criteria on violations"
Agree.

THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES
... it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may
be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be
permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be
permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not
intended by a rule.

Read it. It says rules, not fouls. All rules, not just fouls, require attention to intent/purpose/advantage/disadvantage. And that includes violations, like three seconds, ten seconds on free throws, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2018 at 12:40pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that it is a block but by pointing to the restricted area, it's as if he's saying it is only block because of the restricted area
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, I disagree with the assertion that some have made "there's never an advantage / disadvantage criteria on violations" -- and this is one example
If we assume that you can consider adv/dis on violations, isn't it an advantage to the free-thrower if he is allowed to step over the line early?
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twice On Sundays ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If we assume that you can consider adv/dis on violations, isn't it an advantage to the free-thrower if he is allowed to step over the line early?
I'll call that violation (not just over the line, but also on the line, which is often duly noted by coaches in the first half) every time. Actually called it just a few nights ago, and previously called it four, or five, times this season.

I would never consider not calling that violation, nor would anyone else on my local board.

But, keep in mind, I've spent my entire thirty-seven year officiating "career" isolated here in a little tiny corner of Connecticut, and haven't been exposed to anything else first hand.

For those that would ignore that violation, it probably comes down to, like a lot of other things discussed here on the Forum, "When in Rome ...".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2018 at 01:03pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

On the first FT, it was his second step that crossed the FT line. For those that say adv/dis, I can understand on that one. The second one however made the FT only 14'10". I'd argue that's an advantage.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

1. Foul. He was using his hands to hold the opponent off at a distance. The defender was trying to move closer.j

2. Violation. Sometimes called, sometimes not. It is an advantage...the shooter effectively took a shot from less than the required distance. Even if it were not an advantage, we have zero cases where we're told to ignore infractions based on lines, zero. A player is either in or out, no grey.

3. Charge. Defender got both feet down, facing, in the path before the shooter left the floor. It is very close, but the defender did get there.

4. BI, but often uncalled.