Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 02:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Line In The Sand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... we have zero cases where we're told to ignore infractions based on lines, zero. A player is either in or out, no grey.
I believe that we're on the same page here, but just to be sure, I agree with the sentiment of your general statement (out of bounds, inbounding violations, backcourt, free throw lines, and lane lines, etc.), but how about three seconds? Watch the lane lines, and free throw line. The player is either in the lane, or he's out of the lane (even if he's jumped into the air while in the lane, completely airborne, he's still in the lane). No gray. 00:03:00 pass, and it's an automatic whistle?

For me, he's got to be gaining an advantage in there for me to call the violation. 00:04:00, with only the back of one shoe one eighth of an inch on the lane line, everything else out of the lane, not posting up, not looking to receive a pass, not trying to gain an advantage to get an offensive rebound, but just standing ever so slightly on the elbow? By rule, and by Camron Rust's statement, he's in the lane, no gray here. I agree (I can't deny it) that he's in the lane, but is it a violation?

I'm not calling that, and I'm probably not even yelling at him to, "Get out of the lane". Calling it is not going to be my best call of the game, and if I do call it, it could probably be my worst call of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2018 at 02:23pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If we assume that you can consider adv/dis on violations, isn't it an advantage to the free-thrower if he is allowed to step over the line early?
It is if he runs in to (possibly) get the rebound, or to take a shot from closer than 15'. Just a step (well) after the shot has been released? Not so much.

And, while I could watch for that, I'd rather switch my attention to the rebounding action.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

For all the "let it slide" guys on the FT violations:

Game I attended a couple years ago--6-9 center repeatedly shot an out of balance jumper as a FT. Violated every time in the first half--worse than the video. State Finals official in the slot ignored all four, to the wrath of the opposing coach. Same kid gets fouled at the horn at the end of the half. Clear the lane, shoot two...same official in C. Shooter violates just as badly, and makes--C opts to whistle both. Home coach up in arms "his other ones counted!" while the opposing coach snarkily wants his earlier four taken off the board. Made for an interesting second half.

Just something to consider.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2018, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If we assume that you can consider adv/dis on violations, isn't it an advantage to the free-thrower if he is allowed to step over the line early?
The first time he does it, just step to the shooter and let him know that was a freebie, but from now on is will be penalized.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Video Request - WVU @ Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The first time he does it, just step to the shooter and let him know that was a freebie, but from now on is will be penalized.

Junior high, maybe.

Varsity, hell no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 20, 2018, 10:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
Junior high, maybe.

Varsity, hell no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I've done it in college games.