The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 06:38am
Administrator

May we please give this thread a rest. The game was my beloved Penguins sixth win of the season against twenty losses. They need all of the help they can get.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 10:43am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
May we please give this thread a rest. The game was my beloved Penguins sixth win of the season against twenty losses. They need all of the help they can get.
This thread gonna die itself if we don't get video of the play.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You're just learning about a jump stop?
Travelling all day back when I played.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This thread gonna die itself if we don't get video of the play.
I’m interested in folks’ thoughts on this play. Possession in question starts at 1:23. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOXjuj-vzmg
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating?
RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
Can anyone explain the logic to this interpretation? I was aware of it but hadn't given it much thought as it is pretty uncommon. But now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it really make sense based on the rule, given that the player is allowed to dribble. You can have virtually the same action, but if there is any slight bounce to the ball, then standing and picking the ball up simply ends the dribble. But if the ball is absolutely still, then the same act is a travel. Seems (at best) an unnecessary interpretation to add, given that the defense could just grab the ball if it was placed on the ground -- but maybe i'm missing something.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Can anyone explain the logic to this interpretation? I was aware of it but hadn't given it much thought as it is pretty uncommon. But now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it really make sense based on the rule, given that the player is allowed to dribble. You can have virtually the same action, but if there is any slight bounce to the ball, then standing and picking the ball up simply ends the dribble. But if the ball is absolutely still, then the same act is a travel. Seems (at best) an unnecessary interpretation to add, given that the defense could just grab the ball if it was placed on the ground -- but maybe i'm missing something.
It is viewed as an attempt to circumvent the rule. Without going through the efforts of changing various rules to cover this case, perhaps making them unnecessarily complicated, they decided a simple case to handle an oddball situation was enough.