The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vid request: Wash vs OSU - 2 whistles for phantom foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103516-vid-request-wash-vs-osu-2-whistles-phantom-foul.html)

bucky Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09am

Vid request: Wash vs OSU - 2 whistles for phantom foul?

With 1:35 left in OT. L and C call foul on OSU player. Foul or not?

My 2 cents - I say no foul. I can understand one official missing something but 2? Maybe I missed something.

JRutledge Sun Feb 11, 2018 01:25am

Two plays (Video)

Play #1:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nJdCyvrZxkA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #2: The play requested
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Iskfry2AW8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bucky Sun Feb 11, 2018 01:32am

Play 1: Yes, I was questioning that too. Foot in RA. Should have been a block and partner should have brought the info, although....there was a lot of stuff happening.

Play 2: C immediately signals block and L nods head in agreement as if it was something obvious. I saw nothiiiing.

(Thanks JRUT!!)

Raymond Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44pm

1) I believe that is a block on its own merits, but it is most definitely a block with the RA

2) Illegal contact by defender's right knee followed by ballhandler going down = a foul. If he stays upright and maintains his footing, then no-call.

Welpe Sun Feb 11, 2018 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1016824)
2) Illegal contact by defender's right knee followed by ballhandler going down = a foul. If he stays upright and maintains his footing, then no-call.

Great observation. I admit I missed that my first few viewings but it's definitely there. I think that's enough for a block.

frezer11 Sun Feb 11, 2018 08:43pm

Quote:

1) I believe that is a block on its own merits, but it is most definitely a block with the RA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 1016850)
Great observation. I admit I missed that my first few viewings but it's definitely there. I think that's enough for a block.

I get your point, and am not denying the knee is there, but it has NOTHING to do with why that defender goes to the ground. His knee didn't push the leg out giving the illusion of a slip, that player just flat out slipped.

VaTerp Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1016862)
I get your point, and am not denying the knee is there, but it has NOTHING to do with why that defender goes to the ground. His knee didn't push the leg out giving the illusion of a slip, that player just flat out slipped.

There is no way you can say that definitively. The offensive player loses his footing immediately after the contact, no matter how slight. There is a strong case to be made the contact affected his balance.

Looks like a really tough call in real time. But on replay I think there is not only a knee but a slight body bump as well, which is a point of emphasis- at least in NFHS- this year.

Does this kind of contact, and more, happen all the time in the post at that level? Of course. But again, there is support for illegal contact by a defender resulting in a ball handler losing his balance.

That along with two officials immediately having the same thing. I'm deferring to them on this.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 12, 2018 02:56am

Quote:

Not true. It was everything about why he went down. The dribbler ran into the knee and upset his balance.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 12, 2018 02:57am

Quote:

Or, did he pull the foul out and forward before contact, perhaps, giving him a position outside of the RA? I couldn't tell for sure, but it seems possible.

AremRed Mon Feb 12, 2018 07:14am

Play 1: Block, even without foot in RA. From Lead looks like a PC though.

Play 2: It's a foul, and a slip. Defenders knee, then offensive player slips.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 12, 2018 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1016881)
Or, did he pull the foul out and forward before contact, perhaps, giving him a position outside of the RA? I couldn't tell for sure, but it seems possible.

If he does that, then hasn't he given up LGP, so it's still a block?

frezer11 Mon Feb 12, 2018 09:28am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 1016871)
There is no way you can say that definitively. The offensive player loses his footing immediately after the contact, no matter how slight. There is a strong case to be made the contact affected his balance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1016880)
Not true. It was everything about why he went down. The dribbler ran into the knee and upset his balance.

Ok, I can concede that I can't say that the contact has nothing to do with the slip, but for the same reason, you can't say it has EVERYTHING to do with it. I think that player slips with a legal defender as well, the bump contributed less than 10% of why he eventually fell, which is a number I made up to help my argument.

I guess I don't mean to criticize the officials when they probably got it right, my point is that I think if this was not called, we wouldn't be talking about how it should've been called, even if that play was still clipped and presented to us here.

Raymond Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1016899)

I guess I don't mean to criticize the officials when they probably got it right, my point is that I think if this was not called, we wouldn't be talking about how it should've been called, even if that play was still clipped and presented to us here.

If that foul is not called the coach for UW is sending a clip of that play into the PAC 12 supervisor before he leaves the facility. It's a 50-50 type play where the officials have to make a decision. Score/time/foul count/previous plays all have to be taken into consideration in a moment's time.

Blindolbat Mon Feb 12, 2018 01:27pm

#1 looks like a block to me with or without RA

#2 - I'm not good enough to make that call

Camron Rust Mon Feb 12, 2018 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1016890)
If he does that, then hasn't he given up LGP, so it's still a block?

Only if he is still moving forward at the time of contact. Moving forward along doesn't netgate LGP, it can still be maintained even when moving towards the opponent if that forward motion has ceased before contact.