The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

During a one-on-one I was playing the other day, my opponent lost his dribble. As I hovered over him, he proceeded to throw the ball off my leg (as I guessed he would do - he seemed the type, if you know what I mean). Anyway, he retrieved the ball and put the ball in the hoop. As I understand the rule, once a player loses his dribble, he only has two options - pass or shoot. Being this was a one-on-one, his ONLY option was to shoot. So was it lame of me to call a double-drible on him? If anyone out here can find this ruling on the Web or in a rulebook somewhere, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

There are no written rules for one on one basketball. It's a team game. Following the basic rules of basketball, what he did was legal.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Also note...

Tomcat

One-on-One rules are influenced by the local "flavor". In other words, if it is his ball (or he can whoop your butt) he makes the rules.

BTW: You will NOT find NFHS rules online, you'll have to buy a rulebook (if it is that important to you.)
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Tomcat,
Under NFHS high school rules (which are written for a team game), a player who has ended his dribble may not start a second dribble unless he lost control because of:
1. a try for goal
2. a bat by an opponent
3. a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

Your play would fall under part 3. Since your opponent threw a pass that touched you, he may dribble again. In short, you were wrong to call a double-dribble violation.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 01:00am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Tomcat,
Under NFHS high school rules (which are written for a team game), a player who has ended his dribble may not start a second dribble unless he lost control because of:
1. a try for goal
2. a bat by an opponent
3. a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

Your play would fall under part 3. Since your opponent threw a pass that touched you, he may dribble again. In short, you were wrong to call a double-dribble violation.
In my book what this guy did does not fit the definition of either a pass or a fumble. There was no accidental loss of control, so no fumble. He was not throwing the ball to another player, so it was not a pass. On the other hand since this is one on one, if you are going to try arguing rules, you might as well T him up and say this was an unsporting act.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

So what you're saying is:
Does a pass thrown in a one-on-one game make a sound if no one is there to catch it?
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:23am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
So what you're saying is:
Does a pass thrown in a one-on-one game make a sound if no one is there to catch it?
Right! And if that tree in the woods that everybody claimed they didn't hear had fallen on a basketball official, the fans would all yell, "That's a block! He wasn't set!" and nobody would call 911.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

There are ways to deal with these issues during a game of one-on-one, and some of those involve activities that might strictly be considered a flagrant foul in a normal game. At least it often came down to that when I played my brother in the driveway and we had a "rules discussion." But if you go by the rules, a flagrant foul means you get ejected, and there is no game.

So we kinda had our own accepted standards of conduct that were updated after every informed discussion (usually about once per week!).