The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When is "Time Out!" a request? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103481-when-time-out-request.html)

so cal lurker Wed Feb 07, 2018 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 1016529)

The other one I have seen is when a kid rises up and makes a cross court pass and the coach tries to call time out while its in the air. Sorry Coach.

But there's still team control! :p:rolleyes:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 07, 2018 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 1016529)
Had this exact scenario in a boys V game the other night; even though I clearly stated the timeout was before the turnover (i distinctly heard "timeout" as the player was approaching the division line" with the ball, turned my head quickly to verify, and blew it, as I blew it I see the other team stealing a pass..) Coach tried to convince me it wasn't when it was called by the coach but when I blew the whistle.... I believe my comments was "That's not accurate Coach".

The other one I have seen is when a kid rises up and makes a cross court pass and the coach tries to call time out while its in the air. Sorry Coach.

True story, girls' VAR years ago in Michigan, and a two-person crew. Visitors are down three with less than 30 seconds to play. V-PG brings the Ball up court, Table Side. My partner is T, Table Side. V-HC is behind my partner and requests a TO. My partner turns his head toward V's Bench to verify V-HC's TO request. As my partner sounds his whistle for the TO, V-PG has already released at 3pt FGA that touches nothing but net. :eek: The Visitor's never came close to tying the game after their TO.

MTD, Sr.

BryanV21 Wed Feb 07, 2018 08:48pm

"Sorry, coach. You requested the time-out before the shot attempt."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Thu Feb 08, 2018 06:58am

Granted ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1016536)
"Sorry, coach. You requested the time-out before the shot attempt."

Or should it be, "Sorry, coach. You were granted the timeout before the shot attempt."

That's what this thread is all about. Right?

lrucks1 Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1016531)
But there's still team control! :p:rolleyes:

But you need player control to call a TO. Just like I never ever grant TO's in a scrum situation the player needs to have clear control to call a TO.

so cal lurker Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrucks1 (Post 1016580)
But you need player control to call a TO. Just like I never ever grant TO's in a scrum situation the player needs to have clear control to call a TO.

uh, did you notice the smilies???

lrucks1 Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06am

I did notice them just didn't know what that means thanks for clearing that my bad!

bob jenkins Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrucks1 (Post 1016596)
I did notice them just didn't know what that means thanks for clearing that my bad!

It was a joke reference to another thread that was active at the time the comment was made

BryanV21 Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1016569)
Or should it be, "Sorry, coach. You were granted the timeout before the shot attempt."

That's what this thread is all about. Right?

Okay...

"Sorry coach, you requested and were granted the timeout before the shot attempt."

I think the "requested" part is important because it points out that "hey, you're the one that called the timeout, so don't get pissy with me."