The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Posession Arrow (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103411-posession-arrow.html)

Beaverfan Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:51pm

Posession Arrow

Not a ref, a stupid youth coach.

Possession arrow is in my favor. A jump ball is called and i take the ball out baseline. My kids freak out and don't get the ball inbounded. Ball never leaves the inbounders hand. 5 second violation is called and we turn the ball over. My question is since the ball was never inbounded, the possession arrow stays with me correct?

Rich Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:54pm

No. Violation by A. You lose the arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beaverfan Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:56pm

but the arrow doesn't change until the ball is touched. So shouldn't it stay with me?

Rich Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:58pm

No.

When the throw in team violates, they lose the ball and the arrow, by rule.

Anidis Wed Jan 24, 2018 08:38pm

From another lurker-coach:

Would you be willing to provide a list of times when the possession arrow does not change following the award of possession?

Thanks in advance!

JRutledge Wed Jan 24, 2018 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anidis (Post 1015434)

Would you be willing to provide a list of times when the possession arrow does not change following the award of possession?

Thanks in advance!

1. A foul.
2. Ball not legally touched (usually the defense)
3. Defensive team commits a violation (look at #2)

Not aware of any more reasons it would not change.

Peace

SNIPERBBB Wed Jan 24, 2018 08:58pm

It's a short list, it does not change if:
Either team commits a foul or the defensive team commits a violation before the throw-in ends.

pfan1981 Wed Jan 24, 2018 09:13pm

A foul by either team, the arrow does not change.

A violation by the defensive team, the arrow doesn’t change.

The last game I worked, my partner had a thrower almost to a five count, he throws to throw it off the defender and the defender ends up kicking it. Told my partner that if that was an AP throw in that the arrow wouldn’t change. I was the C and told the coach as well. He admitted he didn’t know that but appreciated the rules knowledge.

Rich Wed Jan 24, 2018 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 1015439)
A foul by either team, the arrow does not change.

A violation by the defensive team, the arrow doesn’t change.

The last game I worked, my partner had a thrower almost to a five count, he throws to throw it off the defender and the defender ends up kicking it. Told my partner that if that was an AP throw in that the arrow wouldn’t change. I was the C and told the coach as well. He admitted he didn’t know that but appreciated the rules knowledge.

Why would you ever give a hypothetical situation to a coach? To show how "smart" you are?

DrPete Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:13pm

The only way I can imagine that the defense could violate on a throw in is by a kicked ball. There probably are other ways, but may be even less common.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 25, 2018 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anidis (Post 1015434)

Thanks in advance!

It's easier to say when it changes: When the throw-in ends.

And, the throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched on the court OR the inbounding team violates. (The OP forgot / didn't know the second half of that rule)

bob jenkins Thu Jan 25, 2018 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 1015451)
The only way I can imagine that the defense could violate on a throw in is by a kicked ball. There probably are other ways, but may be even less common.

Hit the ball with a fist.

frezer11 Thu Jan 25, 2018 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 1015451)

Going out of bounds to avoid a screen.

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 25, 2018 09:42am

At a recent college game, we had a defensive foul before the AP throw-in was released. The guy at the table actually argued with me about changing the arrow. Had to kind of be a jerk about it to get the game moving. Then went back during a time-out to try to explain. I'm still not sure he believed me.

Rich Thu Jan 25, 2018 09:45am

I can't stand when table people try to tell you how to run the game.

I'll whistle in a sub and the scorer will argue the sub didn't quite get to the X and try to force the sub back.