The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player does not sit a tick...or does he? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103403-player-does-not-sit-tick-does-he.html)

so cal lurker Wed Jan 24, 2018 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1015417)
Under what situation may a substitute legally enter the game without sitting a tick?

A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game, shall not re-enter (with rare exception) before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his, or her, replacement. In other words, a player who has been replaced must sit a tick of the clock, however, a player doesn’t have to play a tick of the clock.

IIRC, if no other sub is available and a player can't continue. E.g., the team is down to 6 eligible players, the sub takes place, and before the "tick," a player is injured, blood is discovered on a player in the game, or a player fouls out or is ejected. The team doesn't have to play short.

BillyMac Wed Jan 24, 2018 06:44pm

I'm So Bright My Mother Calls Me Sunny ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1015424)
IIRC, if no other sub is available and a player can't continue. E.g., the team is down to 6 eligible players, the sub takes place, and before the "tick," a player is injured, blood is discovered on a player in the game, or a player fouls out or is ejected. The team doesn't have to play short.

Bingo. Is there any other exception? I can't think of one, but there are a lot of really bright officials on the Forum who may come up with another exception.

BillyMac Wed Jan 24, 2018 06:50pm

Tick Tock ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1015422)
... B2 committed a foul and the table informed us that it was his fifth foul and he was replaced. After shooting 1 of 2 free throws the table informed us that it was actually his fourth foul and he was not disqualified ... Is there a rule available that lets him enter the game as no time has run off the clock?

Since he was replaced, I don't believe that he may reenter until he sits a tick.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1015422)
Are there a list of exceptions? I had an interesting play where B2 committed a foul and the table informed us that it was his fifth foul and he was replaced. After shooting 1 of 2 free throws the table informed us that it was actually his fourth foul and he was not disqualified, and the coach put him back in. Is there a rule available that lets him enter the game as no time has run off the clock?

This is a perfect time for 2-3.

The substitution wasn't a choice and was forced based on a scorekeeper error. I'm letting that player back in.

That scenario is not one considered by the normal expectations the rules are written for.

bucky Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1015426)
Since he was replaced, I don't believe that he may reenter until he sits a tick.

I have always allowed the player immediate reentry into the game when they were subbed out due to official/table error/miscommunication. I have had it twice this season in fact. Both times, table informed us it was the player's fifth foul when it actually wasn't.

BillyMac Thu Jan 25, 2018 06:55am

Two-Three ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1015427)
This is a perfect time for 2-3. The substitution wasn't a choice and was forced based on a scorekeeper error. I'm letting that player back in. That scenario is not one considered by the normal expectations the rules are written for.

Agree on two statements, that it's not a normal exception, and to let the player reenter under 2-3 (and purpose and intent).

BillyMac Thu Jan 25, 2018 06:58am

Table Crews, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1015457)
I have had it twice this season in fact. Both times, table informed us it was the player's fifth foul when it actually wasn't.

Thirty-seven years and I've never had this happen.

Twice in a partial season? What kind of table crews are you working with?

sdoebler Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1015470)

That is the table not the crew I believe

bucky Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1015470)

Both situations involved home scorers that had inadvertently given the wrong player a foul based on similar numbers. Example: Foul was on A21 but foul was recorded on A12.

It did not involve inexperienced scorers, two-handed reporting, or errors by the officials. The visiting score book provided input and it was resolved. In both cases, it was fairly obvious what occurred and the home scorers admitted the mistakes. Those involved mostly laughed it off and everyone was understanding about allowing the players to return. Home scorers just had brain freezes.