The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Fight question

A5 is fouled hard by B5. A5 takes exception and throws a punch that misses.
A6,7 and A8 leaves the bench.

Sub for A5 shoots two he was shooting. Then Team B shoots two for the flagarant technical.

Then they shoot two for the 3 players leaving the bench.

B5 got a common foul.
A5 got a technical and was ejected.
A coach got an indirect.
A6, A7, and A8 were all disqualified.

5 team fouls on A team.

Did I get that all correct especially the number of free throws?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Only one technical for the guys leaving the bench regardless of the number of offenders, so only two team fouls on A.

Is this something you actually called or a test question of some sort?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 01:24pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Fight question

Coach A gets 3 indirect for each player off the bench and gets DQed.

Also, since no one came off the bench for B, it is 2 FTs for each A player coming off the bench. If players come off of each bench, you offset as many of those as possible for FT purposes, but coach gets an indirect for EACH player coming off the bench.

EDIT: Also, only 4 team fouls against A - one for the flagrant technical and 3 for the technicals on players leaving the bench.

I think you added one more for what you charged as indirect to the coach. That is incorrect.

Last edited by Big_Blue_Wannabe; Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 01:13pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:25pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post

Also, since no one came off the bench for B, it is 2 FTs for each A player coming off the bench. If players come off of each bench, you offset as many of those as possible for FT purposes, but coach gets an indirect for EACH player coming off the bench.

EDIT: Also, only 4 team fouls against A - one for the flagrant technical and 3 for the technicals on players leaving the bench.

I think you added one more for what you charged as indirect to the coach. That is incorrect.

Only one technical for players leaving the bench, as long as they don't participate in the fight.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post

BigT had it correct except for charging 5 team fouls to A and B5 gets a personal foul (A5 was in acts of shooting) The coach's indirect does not count as a team foul. Unfortunately, your info is incorrect. The 3 A players who left the bench did not participate in the fight. One indirect goes to the head coach and 2 FTs for those. If all three participated in fight coach gets indirect for each and is DQed.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 01:40pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Only one technical for players leaving the bench, as long as they don't participate in the fight.
Only one INDIRECT technical. Every player that left the bench gets a flagrant T which gets added to the team foul count (I believe). But you'd only shoot two FTs since no one participated.

In NCAA-M there is no foul associated with leaving the bench and not participating (no Class B to the coach, either). You are simply ejected (and not subject to suspension). I tend to like this more than the NFHS rule.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Only one INDIRECT technical. Every player that left the bench gets a flagrant T which gets added to the team foul count (I believe). But you'd only shoot two FTs since no one participated.
You're right. I had to look at the case book under team fouls in rule 4 to find this. Under 10-5 it says only one technical foul penalty, so I read this to mean only one team foul.

This is something we all should know by now since it seems that it's been a question on every test I ever took. But I've never had a fight with players leaving the bench in 32 years and counting.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm knocking on wood right now. I hope I never have to deal with this because I would DEFINITELY find a way to screw it up.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm knocking on wood right now. I hope I never have to deal with this because I would DEFINITELY find a way to screw it up.

Do the best that you can but accept that you won’t get it 100% right without the luxury of a monitor review. It’s virtually impossible. Get the teams to their benches, then sort it out, slowly and carefully if need be. Take notes on scratch paper at the table if you need to. Then get the coaches together, preface that what you’re about to say is non-negotiable, and lay out the rulings and penalty sequence.

Has happened twice to me. Once was a decided 8th grade game with 24 seconds left, so we ended the game and reported the fighters to the assignor later. The other was a HS summer game with 3-person crew. We got as many of the bench offenders as we could positively ID, and cobbled together a ruling and penalty sequence.

Hey, it can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk